Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Veteran Member

Default Firefighter Survival/RIT training

How would you feel if the AFA added a firefighter survival course or a rapid intervention team course to their cirriculum?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT Training

I am sure we all could use the training in such a important area. There would be nothing worse than to have one of your men down inside a rip roaring structure fire and you did not have the equip or training to rescue them. KEEP PUSHING THE ISSUE!!!!!

Hopefully, a parallel universe where my location doesn't keep getting deleated.

Lightbulb Good idea...

"If you can predict it, you can prevent it."

...We train for every other probability on the fire ground.
    "RIT/FF survival" should be given at least the same level of importance. We train with engine evolutions all day long, but if that engine doesn't leave the next incident with the same number of people it arrived with, what does that say about our priorities?

SAVING OUR OWN
    GET OUT ALIVE

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up RIT

I THINK IT IS GREAT, I HAVE BEEN TALKING WITH SOME FRIENDS AT LRFD AND THEY HAVE BEEN GIVING ME SOME INSITE ON HOW TO USE IT IN THE VOLUNTEER SCENE.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Firefighter Survival

MUCH NEEDED, We are trying to do some in house training and would love to get some kind of class or lesson plan on the subject. We feel their is alot of good information out there we use without trying to reinvent the wheel. But were not sure wear to begain and think the AFA could be a big help.

Veteran Member

Good news the academy will be adding a RIT/Survival program soon. Initially it will be taught by active career firefighters and not the usuall academy staff. It is still in the design stage but I can guarantee that it will be top notch.

Forum Member

RIT /Survival is one of the many areas we need to be training in,
    Let me throw this out and see what ideas are out there.
    Many depts are now using or considering using mutual aid depts as a RIT for structure fires. Most of our depts here in Ark have manpower problems and have trouble covering 2 handlines, the pumper panel and water supply etc, and are out of bodies before a RIT is set up. We all know that a RIT is supposed to be geared up ready to move at an instant and NOT doing ANYTHING else, so our couple of extra guys working outside dragging hose, running after tools, etc will not fly as a RIT.
    If we are to use other depts as our RIT, how do we assure that they are PROPERLY trained to function as a RIT and not just a couple of firefighters that have had their 3 certification classes and may have never even been in a fire building?
    Do we need to add RIT /Survival to the ever growing list of classes we need to make into certification classes?
    Myself, I think we need to add RIT/ Search & Rescue, Structure Fires, Emergency Vehicle Driving, and possibly the Basic Academy Patch program classes to the Certification requirements.
    I know, just like I get at my dept, " This is a volunteer dept and we dont have time for all this training!"
    Well, like I have tried to do by setting an example, I completed the Basic and Advanced classes in just over a year to prove it could be done. I know most people couldnt get it done that quick, but does a time limit need to be set on things like this?
    I am trying to get at least the Basic classes added to our required classes here and I have heard of a few other depts that are requiring it of their volunteers.
    I get funny looks sometimes when I start giving a class on any of these areas, I end up getting my point across but I have seen in to many places that many of us firefighters get cocky and think that the 3 classes make us 10 feet tall and bulletproof.
    We have too many firefighters in our state that have only had the 3 Certification classes,even 15 and 20 year veterans. We need to change that, Our lives depend on it!!!!
    How about some feedback guys.
    STAY SAFE !!!!
    Capt Tyler Sitzer
    Weiner Vol Fire & Rescue, Weiner, ARK &
    Ark Coordinator for Helping Our own, Inc. www.helpingourown.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Chatted with the AFA Region 5 coordinator last night. Unless we get more funding to AFA, we might be out on a lot of classes this next year. The Lakewood school case is putting a hurt on the budget.

CONTACT YOUR STATE REPRESENTATIVES

Originally posted by ttjjss
    Myself, I think we need to add RIT/ Search & Rescue, Structure Fires, Emergency Vehicle Driving, and possibly the Basic Academy Patch program classes to the Certification requirements.
    The basic certification requirements MUST be expanded. Three classes and your a firefighter? What sort of joke is that. And what makes it worse is that those classes are rarely taught responsibly. Many FDs have CTOs who teach their own rookies the classes... and whenever you have people teaching other members of the department, the class is rarely as productive as it should be.

I know, just like I get at my dept, " This is a volunteer dept and we dont have time for all this training!"
    Which is a good way to get people killed. But trust me, the lack of training isn't limited to the volunteer ranks. My career department doesn't train nearly enough... And when we do, entirely too much is spent on classroom and theory. Those things are important, but it's hard to beat real-life evolutions.

I have seen in to many places that many of us firefighters get cocky and think that the 3 classes make us 10 feet tall and bulletproof.
    Those three classes give you just enough knowledge to be dangerous. In Arkansas, you can be a certified firefighter without having ever actually seen a fire. How crazy is that?

I'm on the fence about trying to make RIT training part of the core curriculum or a separate module. I experienced as part of my certified career level a single day of self-rescue & RIT training, not to ever be confused with a full RIT program. IMO, there are ways to reorganize programs to include more practical training such as RIT, but I also know that modules can be great for those firefighters who already have certifications. Look at "high angle rescue" and "rescue systems" programs that focus specifically on such topics. With something as important as firefighter rescues, I would at LEAST push for more training in the basic curriculum and hopefully get additional modules for those who wish to specialize. It's been my understanding that RIT members are not generally assigned to suppression & basic rescue operations, so custom-building a team for this purpose only will increase scene costs because the IC is keeping the 4-person RIT outside as a precaution. It's also my opinion that anything pertaining to firefighter safety and rescue is WELL worth any dollar amount to the taxpayer, especially if it means my brothers are going home at the end of a shift. Plug away and push that RIT training idea, as it will only benefit the service. Good luck!
    ~Kevin
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    --^v--^v--^v--^v--
    Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong
    Dennis Miller

Thread Information