Thread: MABAS

Forum Member

Default MABAS

Chief Reason mentioned MABAS in another thread and thought it needed a thread of its own. How many of you are currently part of a MABAS district? We are ready to join. We have our papers signed and ready to turn in at the next IL. Valley meeting. Our district will include aprox 6 counties in W C IL.
    If anyone has any do/dont's in making the box cards please share your ideas with us. We have been talking MABAS for quite some time and it is finally taking shape. We already have a good working relationship with several area departments but this will give us an unlimited amount of help if it is ever needed. Not to mention a uniform accountability system and communications.
    Last edited by 80FIRE; 02-11-2003 at 10:35 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Now you're talkin'!

80FIRE:
    I will offer you three pieces of advice:
    Meet often.
    Only commit equipment and manpower that you are willing to send at any given time, then honor your commitment.
    Include EMS.
    Sounds like you have a very solid base in place.
    Good luck. It will be one of the best decisions you will ever make.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Thumbs up County, we're pushing this to a MABAS box!

80, to add to what the good chief has to say:

Plan your cards carefully. Think of your target hazards and build your cards based on who can get there in the time frame needed (depending on the level). Sometimes you may have to skip a district if the next one over is close and has staff in the building 24-7. Be careful about not depleating a particular area, especially with ambulances and tankers. This is where change of quarters gets real tricky. A small district with only one of each may not do COQ, but without that, you can quickly deplete a region of resources.

If you're REALLY ambitious, get driving times from your neighbors and build your cards based on that (we plan on doing this in the next three months). You might be surprised to find certain departments can get there quicker or slower, depending on location.

We have been a member of MABAS since the early '90s, and it is a good thing. Since DeKalb County started thier own div., it's been taking on a lot of the duties of the County Fire Assoc. (which was mostly the vol depts). The reason for this is that the county assoc. was basically a social group that met for a free dinner and told war stories. The MABAS div does drills and training. It will be what you make of it. Good luck!
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb And another thing!!!

Sompin else I forgot to mention (Somebosy shut that guy up!):

It doens't sound like you have this problem, but our previous chief set the cards up based a little bit on politics: I don't like these guys so they're going to go low on the cards. I think this is a disservice to the community, as it could slow the responses.

But you said you get along good with your neighbors, so that shouldn't be an issue. Just thought I'd mention it.....
    I'll shut up now...
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

We're not part of MABAS but it was talked about in our county a year ago and not mentioned after that. After the train wreck, it's time to get the ball rolling again. These posts have kind of refreshed my memory with the research I did some time ago. I can see where it will be a lot of work to set it up and just as much to keep it up. Did anybody have a problem getting depts. to go along with the idea? I could see where we would have to do some convincing.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

MembersZone Subscriber

Did anybody have a problem getting depts. to go along with the idea? I could see where we would have to do some convincing.
    Oh, youbetcha! There is one department that STILL refuses to do it's box cards. They felt (and, I think, still feel) that MABAS is a effort to creat a county-wide fire district. 'Course, they said the same thing about county-wide dispatch. That's why they are still spending almost FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS a year on THIER FIRE PHONES!!!!!!

Jack, can you think of a better way to spend 5-g's then on a phone system ya don't need? I sure can...

Anyway, they only way we got them in was peer pressure. They were the only hold-outs, and we just kept bugging them.

Someday, they'll have the big one and it'll be a bigger cluster-f*&^ than usual, 'cause the IC is going to have to sit there and scratch his head and say, uh, I need an engine from here, and a tanker, and uh, um.... a snorkel from there....
    Last edited by jaybird210; 02-12-2003 at 07:55 PM.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Forum Member

Default It only makes sense

When you are a part of MABAS you have access to equipment that would be difficult to request on your own. MABAS works and it is good for your department and our entire State.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default N. Illinois; the birthplace of MABAS

MIKEY:
    You live and work in the "cradle of MABAS". Certainly you have some do's and don'ts. Did you go on the call to Bourbonnais a few years ago when the Amtrak wrecked? Wasn't Tom Arnsparger chief there at the time? I remember someone from their department presented a program on it a few years ago in Springfield. The #1 problem cited in their reports of the incident was communications. Even with MABAS, communications can still be a problem.
    So, MIKEY; how have you been?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default MABAS

If you follow the Advisory Statements on communications you will have no problems communicating with other over 750 MABAS departments. You will need to license your department, just to keep it legal. Remember MABAS is Illinois, Wisconsin, St. Louis, Missouri, and soon to be Indiana, Michigan, and Iowa. Now is the time to add your department and county before it is your "bad day in the barrel".

Forum Member

Chief/Trustee R.,I am doing well thanks for asking. We are located about 25 miles north of Bourbonais. We did not respond to said train incident. I think even since 1999 when that wreck occured that the MABAS program has grown leaps and bounds. We did not become an official division until a few years ago. We already had a very strong Box alarm system in place, but the realities were that it was time to form a MABAS division. The Chicago Southland region, which includes Cook and Will Counties is comprised of Divisions 15,19,21,22,24 and 27. It is interesting to note that The city of Chicago has its own Division. So by belonging to MABAS, you can request CFD or vice versa.Communications still need some improvement but are getting better everyday. The point is that a Unified, structured response is good for everyone. One other note. We have an Indiana department in our Division. I also know that there are Southern Wisconsin MABAS departments and also I believe the Missouri departments in the St. Louis area are or will be joining. MIKEY like NIKE says....JUST DO IT!

Forum Member

Thanks for all the help. We are hoping to have a majority from each county onboard from the start but I am sure we will have some that are slow to come around. We wanted to get our district formed the way we wanted it before the state comes in and makes the decision for us. as far as communications we already are licensed on freq and have it in all radios now but many departments do not. we have had our MABAS department ID for almost a year now and are already using the accountability system. We can only see positive results for joining MABAS. Thanks All

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

BUMP!!! just kiddin'.... I just found this old thread and thought of how much MABAS has grown over the past several years. I think its doing pretty good, and I think it showed what we are capable of when Katrina hit. Any new thoughts? (gotta love diggin up the old ones to!)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tfpd109
    BUMP!!! just kiddin'.... I just found this old thread and thought of how much MABAS has grown over the past several years. I think its doing pretty good, and I think it showed what we are capable of when Katrina hit. Any new thoughts? (gotta love diggin up the old ones to!)
    I think this person wants to be like ME !!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Quote Originally Posted by Weruj1
    I think this person wants to be like ME !!!!!

Sorry! Just up havin some fun on here!

Forum Member

Yes alot has gone on since this thread was posted. Anyone besides Les and I going to the conference in march?. Mabas has bought tons of equipment for all the zones that wanted it, everyone should have gotten a radio, are you ready for the page on IFERN. We have 1 dept in our area that refusees to join, he is worried about liability, but still goes on mutalaide calls, I think he is worried he may look stupid. FYI, the MABAS is changing their organation, from volunteer to paid, a move that needs to be done, if you ever seen how much work Jay and the others do. This means our dues are going up, all based on your budgit, can't find the paper work, I'll post it later if anyone want's to know. As the federal goverment scrambles to get somthing in place, Illinois is miles ahead of everyone. Where else, besides the military, could you get 600 people with equipment, commited in 20min for a 7 day deployment, and ready to go in 24hrs, I think NOWHERE. sure there were some bugs, but we continue to improve. Hopefuly the Fed's will see this and continue some funding, but alas I know how the system works, and some bean counter from nowhere, with connections, will get a ton of money for his plan. Well we will just continue on our merry way, and be proud that we have the best system in the USA.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by trainer
    Yes alot has gone on since this thread was posted. Anyone besides Les and I going to the conference in march?. Mabas has bought tons of equipment for all the zones that wanted it, everyone should have gotten a radio, are you ready for the page on IFERN. We have 1 dept in our area that refusees to join, he is worried about liability, but still goes on mutalaide calls, I think he is worried he may look stupid. FYI, the MABAS is changing their organation, from volunteer to paid, a move that needs to be done, if you ever seen how much work Jay and the others do. This means our dues are going up, all based on your budgit, can't find the paper work, I'll post it later if anyone want's to know. As the federal goverment scrambles to get somthing in place, Illinois is miles ahead of everyone. Where else, besides the military, could you get 600 people with equipment, commited in 20min for a 7 day deployment, and ready to go in 24hrs, I think NOWHERE. sure there were some bugs, but we continue to improve. Hopefuly the Fed's will see this and continue some funding, but alas I know how the system works, and some bean counter from nowhere, with connections, will get a ton of money for his plan. Well we will just continue on our merry way, and be proud that we have the best system in the USA.
    Hey, trainer; I'll throw an opinion in here, if you don't mind.
    I am all for the leadership of Illinois MABAS going full-time if it enhances/improves what is already a very good system.
    I hope that it doesn't become the golden egg for some who are in the "twi-light" of their careers and would otherwise, be feathering their nests.
    If they aren't careful, they could price themselves towards a rebellion; especially with the small departments. Too much change too quickly could create alot of tension.
    IMHO.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Yes CR, it will seem like that, and more than a few dept's will agree. Last I knew there were going to be 2 or 3 paid people, with the work load involved that's only fair, MABAS has grown to over 600 members, And it will proably be someone that is retired, at least the first time around,(any guesses) but I hope not limited to. This change has been comming for a long time, over a year. The dues rate is gradient based on budgit, here's the only ones I can remember, 0-25,000-$50. 25,000-100,000-$100 beyond that I'll have to dig up some paper work, althogh if you got a 7 or 8 figure budgit hold on, HOWEVER, none of this is set in stone.

MembersZone Subscriber

I know it's been planned for a while and I agree that MABAS needs some full time people. I know that when we formed 47 that we weren't supposed to have to pay dues but the time has come to do it right. 100 bucks won't break any dept. and what Illinois has in return for that is fantastic.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

No dues? Jack each div,as of now, pay's $100. In 31 the Galesburg dept is kind enought to pay that, in 39 each member pay's $25, with the extra money paying for misc exspences. For the most part our members will have to pay, in the new system, the $100, at lest 1 under and a couple over, and some will bitch. Besides all the other equipment, everyone got a $1200 radio, lets see...that pays for 12 years. For what you get, and let's hope that none of us ever have to use it,it's a small price to pay.

Forum Member

we are a member of MABAS Division 45.....have been on I think close to a year now

Forum Member

So was there a Division 47 Box in Ashley today?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Division 54 had their first box alarm last night. Watson had a large structure fire. I wasnt involved but I've heard it went very well.

MembersZone Subscriber

No MABAS box in Ashley. MABAS 47 is having some issues, one of which is box cards and dispatching in our county. We're working on it, though.
    Trainer, I should have mentioned the 100/yr. dues. I guess I meant that each department didn't have to pay. In 47, our chief's association actually paid it in the past. We've separated MABAS and SCIFCA now so who knows what will happen. 47 has to get it's act together.... and soon.
    Jack Boczek, Chief

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    It is interesting to note that The city of Chicago has its own Division. So by belonging to MABAS, you can request CFD or vice versa.
    What division number would we be? I had never heard this before.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    What division number would we be? I had never heard this before.
    Chicago is MABAS Division 9

Thread Information