Angry Windham Twp Trying to Start Fire Dept

Just read the article in our local paper. The township supervisors are trying to start their own fire department instead of doing the responsible thing and negotiating a contract with us. http://www.thedailyreview.com/site/n...d=465049&rfi=6

The chairman acts like he can just get a couple trucks and some untrained guys and "poof", it's a fire department. We all know there's more to it than that. We've known for almost two years that this group, (which includes 2 of the supervisors), had obtained an old engine from some department in New Jersey. They denied having it for the longest time, then when they finally admitted it they refused to tell anyone how they got it or where it came from. They told the residents "it was none of their business." I have to wonder if the department in N.J. knew what the intended purpose of this truck was or who it was actually going to. One of the neighboring fire chiefs told me that about 5 years ago, a couple people from this group approached him about what it would take to start a new fire department. He refused to help them, but did look over their training records. He told them all they had were 2 fire police.

It only takes 1/2 of the homeowners to sign a petition to remove these people from office. I'm going to recommend at the upcoming meeting with the residents that we do it. I'm not only a seasoned firefighter, but I'm a taxpayer and homeowner, and these people are not working in our best interest. My fire department continued service for 8 months without a working agreement for fire protection before we finally had enough. I will not standby and watch these morons distroy this township any further!
    Scott Nichols
    FF / EMT - Dept 19 Windham
    911 Dispatcher - Bradford County

Forum Member

I hope you are successful in putting these "mutts"
    in the election recall dog pound...woof!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

The new fire company would report to the town$hip $upervi$or$, and it$ equipment will belong to the town$hip, Brown $aid. In addition, the $upervi$or$ would have control over how town$hip fund$ $et a$ide for the fire department are $pent.
    Any questions?

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Angry

WOW!!

These ELECTED officials seem to need reminding as to WHY they are there!! TO SERVE THEIR COMMUNITY!! Part of thier obligation is to provide fire protection. Since they cut funds off to the fire department, and did not have a replacement for their services, they were NEGLIGENT IN THEIR DUTY! The fire department continued to do what they had always done, protect lives and property.

I am assuming that you guys are now running short of funds to continue service? Is that why you have had to walk out? It is a hell of a place to be stuck. I hope those MUTTS on the township board WAKE UP and do the right thing.

If you need any help, let me know.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

The new fire company would report to the township supervisors, and it's equipment will belong to the township, Brown said. In addition, the supervisors would have control over how township funds set aside for the fire department are spent.
    And you all thought Hitler was dead!
    Scott Nichols

Forum Member

"These ELECTED officials seem to need reminding as to WHY they are there!! TO SERVE THEIR COMMUNITY!! Part of thier obligation is to provide fire protection. Since they cut funds off to the fire department, and did not have a replacement for their services, they were NEGLIGENT IN THEIR DUTY! The fire department continued to do what they had always done, protect lives and property. "

Correct me if I'm wrong, but they are planning on providing service. And they have arranged for coverage from neighbouring Depts have they not? And if this is the case, then why do we have thousands of firefighters on these forums affiliated with Fire Departments that are protecting communities that refuse to pay anything for that protection?

A Municipality has every right to decide that they will run their own Department, in fact there is another thread on this very forum that is appluading Scottsdales decision to do just that. It may be the rope needed to hang themselves, or they may put together a first rate Department, no one will know until it happens.

I am not taking sides in this issue, only playing devils advocate. Just because a town, county, municipality decides to run their own show does not automatically mean they are mutts. We don't have both sides of the story. I find it interesting though Scott that you don't have the support of the Community. What types of issues are you facing there?

Originally posted by LadyCapn
    And they have arranged for coverage from neighbouring Depts have they not?
    No, they made no arrangements. We called the neighboring departments when we decided to stand down. The supervisors wouldn't speak to anyone about it, including the 911 center who had to figure out on their own who would respond. Luckily that's my full-time job so they knew what was happening ahead of time.

A Municipality has every right to decide that they will run their own Department, in fact there is another thread on this very forum that is appluading Scottsdales decision to do just that.
    True, but we are an incorperated organization that was neither started by, nor run by the township. That didn't stop them from trying.

I find it interesting though Scott that you don't have the support of the Community. What types of issues are you facing there?
    We won't know what kind of support we have until tomarrow night. That is when we are having a meeting with all the residents that we can get to come. For the most part, the only residents that attend the regular township meetings are the 10-15 that are intent on destroying the existing fire dept. A few show up and support us, but most don't want to get involved. We've been leading the fight against this group of self-interested people for 8 years. We are done doing it alone. It's time for the other 75% of the community to hear all the facts and speak up. I've said this before; we have been there for the residents for 33 years. Now we need them to be there for us. If they truely don't care, my turnout gear will get packed away.
    Scott Nichols

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I'm a little late!

Scott:
    By now, you will already have had your meeting with interested members of the community.
    What I was going to suggest is that from that group of citizens, form a citizen's committee. I would think that the township supervisors would have a tough time tell constituents to go pack sand, unless they are completely clueless.
    The citizen's committee should take the "personal" issues out of it. A large group will only cause a bigger confrontation. Reduce to size to a committee and see if anything can get done then. If not: petition to recall every one of them. They don't deserve to hold office.
    Good luck.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

I'm sure it's just me, but if you have been fighting this for 8 years...it's been way way way too long without doing something for the public. After 1 year, you should have been after the public support. They should have known what's going on a long time ago. Get out there, open up to the public. Waiting for something like this to happen is too late.

Good Luck.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Oh, we did try for public support from the start. What you have to understand is that they were already getting misinformation from this small group also. Most people thought it was just personality conflicts that would resolve themselves. They did step in once and try to form a hall rental committee. It was ultimately unsucessful. They also had a group formed to make recommendations to the township on how to resolve the conflict with the fire department. When they turned in their report, the supervisors didn't like it. They thought it was too in favor of the fire department, (duh, we were getting screwed!) so they ignored it.

I think the bottom line is that everyone wanted to stay out of it and hoped it would get better. Obviously it didn't.
    Scott Nichols

Default Re: I'm a little late!

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    Scott:
    By now, you will already have had your meeting with interested members of the community.
    Actually no, it's tonight. 2-13-03 19:30. I'm forced to take another personal day from work to be there.

The citizen's committee should take the "personal" issues out of it. A large group will only cause a bigger confrontation. Reduce to size to a committee and see if anything can get done then.
    Man, if only! It seems like a lot to hope for, but I will bring it up. It's been tried before. Some of these people will just never let things go. They're retired and have nothing else to do all day but scheme and make phone calls. I'll let you all know how it went. Thanks to all for the advise. It's appreciated!
    Scott Nichols

Forum Member

"They did step in once and try to form a hall rental committee."

Does this whole issue stem from who gets to use the hall and who doesn't? What is it exactly that they wanted to discipline the womens auxillary for?

MembersZone Subscriber

A couple of ???'s for dept19ffemt

1) how do u guys get your operating money from (ex taxes)

2) What r the statics of your dept -# of calls
    -do u guys run ems calls
    -# of apparatus
    - of active members

3)Do you guys have a decent ISO rating? and if so tell the people that there community ISO rating will go up!!! which means alot more money ex. $100.00 increase( on average) x 1000 homes = $100,000, that's more than 10x the money they owe( $8900) your dept.

4) these people r in for a surpise, it's hard enough to get volunteers and now that they just ****ed off highly trained personnel(they must think firemen come falling from the sky... LOL)

5) last ? is that $8900.00 a month or a yr., either way the town is getting off easy( if not collecting tax dollars).

GOOD LUCK remember Response to serious calls( baby call's)

Thread Information