MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default What Can An Engineer With Too Much Time On His Hands Do?

You be the judge....

Junked cars crushed into cubes the material for Barstow, Calif., landmark.

Canadian Press Tuesday, February 11, 2003

BARSTOW, Calif. (AP) - Greece has the Parthenon. This Mojave Desert town may get the Carthenon.

That's what artist Curtis Zaxxr Llewellyn calls his design for a 40-foot-tall gateway. The project would use junked cars, crushed into cubes and assembled into five columns. Topping them would be an aluminum sign sporting tailfins resembling those of a 1959 Cadillac.

Wayne Soppeland, who heads the economic development committee of the local Chamber of Commerce, said he envisions the sculpture as "something that the people could be proud of and identify with."

He also says it's a fitting concept considering historic Route 66 ran through town.

Llewellyn, who designs such art for a living, got into the picture last year when he stopped at a local motel during a business trip.

"I heard about their plans," Llewellyn said. "I love working with these small towns in the middle of nowhere."

Copyright 2003 The Canadian Press
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

IACOJ BOD

The way people have been driving (or not driving) around here recently, we could probably provide him enough cars for at least one column.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Thread Information