View Poll Results: In your Dept., how many runs can a unit make, before an add'l unit is added?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over 3000 runs/year

0 0%
  • Over 4000 runs/year

1 20.00%
  • Over 5000 runs/year

0 0%
  • No set number.

4 80.00%

Question Call Volume's Impact on FF Health

Our Department is researching the call volume impact on firefighter health, safety, stress, sleep deprivation, and general operations. Additionally, how the call volume may effect customer service and response times. As a Department, we have set 4000 runs as the 'magical' number to indicate the need for another unit to be housed at the same station. We are now revisitng this topic and are wondering if anyone knows of any research conducted in this area. We would appreciate any comments providing information or suggestions to resources to further investigate this topic. Thanks!!

Exclamation

I'm basically conducting the same research for a research class in college. I've found alot of info on FF stress, but am looking for a survey/questionairre that covers this topic. If I can be any help let me know, if you've seen such a survey please let me know.

Forum Member

Other factors you may want to look into besides total calls for the year, is calls per unit per day, the hours per shift, whether it be 8 hours, 12 hours or 24 hour shifts. In a 24 hour shift - how many calls are in the day time vs how many calls at night... Average turn around from time of call until unit is back in the station... Average down time between calls.. What days are typically high volume and low volume...

Do you have enough units to make the calls you are currently responding to now? What kind of operation due you run - just emergencies or just transfers, or both... Fire, EMS, or both..

Many other factors than just number of calls per years... May look at adding temp units for high volume days...

Hope this helps....

Thread Information