Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Angry

Does anyone think that they are making people a little nervous with all these precautions, I mean I agree that the public should know but arent they taking this just a little too far, in my own opinon they are doing exactly what those bastards from the middle east want. WIDESPREAD PANIC. sorry just my own opinion, not trying to offend anyone, if I did, im sorry

Default Tape is nice...

Duct tape is nice, but I am glad I got
    my Glock .40 ready to go too...

All this Precaution ??? Being prepared is good. We do that as firefighters. Right ??? Overboard, maybe but we as firefighters have to be ready for anything. As far as WIDESPREAD PANIC, I don't see that at all. Just precaution.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

I have always kept an emergency preparedness kit in my home, however, this latest "duct tape and plastic" thing is about as useful as the "duck and cover" drills of the late 1950's early 1960's...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default Don't forget about N. Korea!

It was just announced that North Korea may have missiles capable of reaching the United States, but let's not get too worried. We have to give them a reason to use it. Right? Right?
    And don't forget; the FBI has said that there are a few Al-Quaida cells that they haven't been able to find. No problem?
    And do I need to remind you that there are still people in this country who are peed off about the Civil War?
    I packing all the food and water I can find and preparing for a long stay. For the rest of you naysayers; don't ask for any of mine!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Originally posted by Oushore
    As far as all this duct tape and plastic sheeting goes... People need to get a grip. Lowes Hardware in Maryland was selling 15 dollar rolls of plastic for 156 dollars... At one point, they said you couldn't buy bottled water in DC.. The end result to all this is going to alot of rich store managers, and a thousands of people with a house full of junk that they'll never use and can't take back!
    This Duct and Cover rhetoric is just a conspiracy between the media and the retail industry!!! I dunno...maybe they think people buying $156 rolls of plastic will help boost the economy or something...

*side note* If you can't pick up my sarcasm, let me know and I'll come hit you across the head with it!
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

bones, maybe some duct tape might help New haven's budget. Destefano is threatening to lay off cops and FF.
    Duct tape his mouth shut?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

“The challenges we face as a nation ... are not going to be solved by duct tape,”
    Doesnt he know that duct tape is like the force? It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Default Re: Don't forget about N. Korea!

Originally posted by ChiefReason
    It was just announced that North Korea may have missiles capable of reaching the United States, but let's not get too worried. We have to give them a reason to use it. Right? Right?
    And don't forget; the FBI has said that there are a few Al-Quaida cells that they haven't been able to find. No problem?
    And do I need to remind you that there are still people in this country who are peed off about the Civil War?
    I packing all the food and water I can find and preparing for a long stay. For the rest of you naysayers; don't ask for any of mine!
    CR

I don't take any of this lightly, I just take the "duct tape and plastic" idea lightly...Like I said, I've got the supplies of food, water, etc. (most notably, ammunition) built up just in case.

ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy

One of the goals of Terrorist's is to panic the people. They are accomplishing this goal every day. Being on a "Heightened Terror Alert" for over a week, you cannot read a newspaper or turn on the TV without hearing about the latest targets or plots recieved through "Inteligence". The public resaponds to these reports with knee-jerk reactions. They do not think about what they are doing or how it looks to the rest of the world. Every action-adventure novel read these days include terrorist activity. All any terrorist has to do to get an idea is read a Tom Clancy Novel. The idea that we can protect ourselves with duct tape and plastic is just another example of how crazy we get when we hear these reports. NYC Mayor Bloomberg was just on the 6:00 news saying don't seal yourselves in your homes, get outside and do your normal activites. He can't be any more correct in his thinking. The Mayor of the city that was the scene of the worst terrorist crime in history is saying don't let them win. I agree with the Mayor. Be alert to what the current situation is but do not let it run your life. When you do they win, we loose and we look like idiots to anyone with commen sense.

Default Re: Did you get your Duct Tape?

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    Are you ready at your own home????
    Plastic got it
    Duct Tape got it
    Flash Light several
    Radio yes
    Batteries a bunch
    Mask Um--no.
    I have actually had the above for quite some time as a general precaution. The street I live on dead ends because of a rail road so I've had these for "shelter in place" for like 5 years now. I doubt I'll ever use them but I have a reputation to keep.
    Why do I *always* have to be the calm one?
    Note to self: first spell check then post.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Kinda hard to dispute it when you see it with your own eyes, thanks for the link E40 .....

Shelter-in-place Fact Sheet
    If you are advised by local officials to "shelter in place," what they mean is for you to remain inside your home or office and protect yourself there. Close and lock all windows and exterior doors. Turn off all fans, heating and air conditioning systems. Close the fireplace damper. Get your disaster supplies kit, and make sure the radio is working. Go to an interior room without windows that's above ground level. In the case of a chemical threat, an above-ground location is preferable because some chemicals are heavier than air, and may seep into basements even if the windows are closed. Using duct tape, seal all cracks around the door and any vents into the room. Keep listening to your radio or television until you are told all is safe or you are told to evacuate. Local officials may call for evacuation in specific areas at greatest risk in your community.
    EJS I just said the basically the same thing in another thread about panic ...

http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=45889

I'm confused by a few things though. Where does Red Cross get there information from? And why, as firefighters, is there some of you saying its ok (the Red Cross included) to duct tape an interior room, but others of you say that is very dangerous to do. So what's the real deal? Helpppppp!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

In my eyes, and as it has sort of been said before, this is just government reassurance that backfired. Of course they have to say something, it's jsut that we don't swallow "duct and cover" as well as we did "duck and cover." Just like the 50s, where you could choose to be a charred American or a charred American curled up into a ball, the duct tape thing is really just fluff designed to make us feel better and go on with our lives. It's a pretty moronic idea, though, and whoever came up with it certainly awakened a bigger hive of bees than they thought they would. I really don't give a crap. You'd think people would a.) be smart enough to see through it, and b.) realize that in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter if the government tells us to duct tape our windows; there are definitely much more important things to be spending our time doing than getting ****ed off about a fluff recommendation.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Thanks drk .... but my confusion really still does remain though. Why would some firefighters and the Red Cross recommend doing this when there is such potential to cause death? Is this not deadly misinformation on how citizens can "save" themselves that could ultimately result in their deaths??
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb

Calgary ........if you were ultimately going to die from a possible bomb attack would you choose to let them get you or beat em to the punch? Given the choices of dieing from the effects of biological or chemical warfare I would take suffocation at my own hand and flip the bird to the SOBs at the other end before I keeled over.

I think I'd have to go for detonation right over me. I'd get to see the nice bright flash then it's lights out. None of this slow death, radiation poisoning, grow a third arm out of my ear thing.
    Last edited by nmfire; 02-13-2003 at 09:42 PM.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Not much more than a whole lot of BS media hype. What a great way to get ratings, scare the sh@* out of the public...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

MembersZone Subscriber fallujahff's Avatar

My Secondary MOS is the service was NBC Warfare Technician--

You guys have no clue to the horror--let me put it this way--

Be at peace knowing that we will die free. If we're really lucky it won't last longer than 9 seconds.

Duct tape--what a hoot!

Sorry to be pessimistic......
    "When you are safe at home, you wish you were having an adventure-when you're having an adventure, you wish you were safe at home"

--Thornton Wilder

You guys have no clue to the horror--let me put it this way--

Be at peace knowing that we will die free. If we're really lucky it won't last longer than 9 seconds.
    Not really true, I seen all the same movies and pictures, and to top it off, I got the inoculations and the free trip to the gulf...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Thread Information