Default What the heck is a Georgia Knocker???

Ok, maybe bored at lunch...
    Did web search for Volunteer fire departments in Georgia.

Of three sites at random I took a look at, each listed a, "Knocker" as a piece of fire apparatus.

What the heck is a Knocker? My first guess is a small tanker, but I couldn't figure it out!

Matt

Forum Member

oh so many ways to go with this....

I'm betting a "knocker" is a brush truck - so named for knocking over the brush and small trees.

But, I am probably wrong.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Talking

A GA Fire Knocker was orginally designed in the late 1960's. It came from the GA Forestry Commission. It came on a surplus Military 2 1/2 ton duece and half. It had a tank usually around 1000 gallons with a small pump usually a Berkley Pump driven with a Wisconsin engine. It was designed for Rural Fire Defense in rural areas of GA. Since then the foresrty commission has improved the design of the trucks. They now carry 1250 or 1560 gallons of water. Some trucks will have a Darley Front mount pump. This is one of the best things that state government has ever done for rural GA. The commission folks will tell you that they will not take the place of a Class A engine, but work well as a companion to the Class A engine. There are around 600 in the state. Most rural counties couldn't afford big trucks but with this program they could.
    I have fought many fires with them. I think it is a great piece of equipment especially for the price.

MembersZone Subscriber

Like the rig in the foreground of this pic?

"What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Forum Member

That's it!
    My dept purchased a used chassis in 1992, and we got the fire knocker body put on it. Anyway we only have $25,000 in the truck. 88 International chassis 1250 gal tank. 125 gpm pump. We use it as our service truck and brush truck.

Forum Member

Learn something new everyday !!!!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Cool, thanks guys!

Forum Member

Actually the one pictured is NOT typical. It has a commercially manufactured front mounted pump.

95+% Have only a rear mounted trash pump with generical cast plumbing, MAYBE one or two gauges. No real valves, only qurter turn or faucet valves. They are made VERY cheaply for a reason.

Both volunteer departments I have worked with have had MANY of them.

About 12 years ago we only had about 2 class A engines in the county and the rest were fire knockers. I have actually fought many house fires with these trucks. Definately stupid and NOT safe.

I will try to go buy my vollie station today and take a picture of the truck, primarily the rear/pump area.

Forum Member

Here is one more typical, although it doesnt show the rear, you can see that it is nothing fancy.

Info on the Paulding County truck pictures before. They are Class A engines with front mounted pump and 1250 gallon tank I believe. They are commercially built.

http://www.forsythfire.net/images/station8.jpg

Here you go...my former volunteer department and one of the OLDER knockers. Got some decent pics of the rear.

http://www.fannincountyfire.org/tanker_5.htm
    Last edited by SCOOBY14B; 02-14-2003 at 02:56 PM.

Thread Information