Default Quiz or your ideas

Three quick questions.
    Answer them the best you can.

What do you do if smoke is rolling out the corners of the roof and back threw the windows?

What do you do if fire is showing threw a brick wall?

Do yuo put your SCBA on before going up a lader to grt on a roof to fight fire or while you on the roof?

Just like to see what you guys would say.

MembersZone Subscriber

Who is Back and why did he throw the windows? and who is Showing and why did he throw a brick wall?

The first thing you should do is pay attention in school so that you can learn to spell.

The answer to your first two questions is simple, do exactly what your crew officer (etc.) tells you to do.

The SCBA is designed to protect you from dangerous environments. You should put on your SCBA while en-route, if safely possible or first thing upon arrival to the scene. The roof of any fire/suspected fire is a dangerous environment. Before you even think about heading to the roof or near any dangerous environment you should have all personal protective gear in place. All zippers should be zipped up all the way, all velcro, snaps, buckles, etc. should be fastened, your facepiece should be tightly in place and checked for a proper seal, your hood in place and tucked in, your helmet should be properly adjusted and the chinstrap tightly in place, and your gloves on before even thinking about going near a dangerous environment. Before climbing the ladder to the roof you should be on-air and have a tool to sound the roof with, any saws should be started on the ground and most importantly you should have a plan as to what you will do.

I am assuming that you are new to the fire service and that you are a junior firefighter. You will be learning all about the equipment and tactics that we use on a daily basis, pay attention! The senior people have a lot of experience, listen to them and ask questions.

Good luck and stay safe!
    Stay Safe! Truckman38 Firefighter/EMT
    Proud member IACOJ
    *Never go anywhere without SCBA, a tool and a plan!
    *Never forget our fallen!

first of all I go to school and do very well its just i cannot type very well.
    Second I know the answers to my question and i was asking JUNIORS what they think just to see what they say.
    Now if you don't see the first to qeustions as be questions toward safety on a seen you sir need to go to fire school.
    Question 1. The smoke rolling out of the roof and going back threw the windows means that the fire is sucking air at an extreme and as soon as you bust the windows out or take the door in the fire will flash back. SO BE READY BEFORE KICKING IN THE DOORS.
    Question 2. The fire showing threw the brick means there is little holding the wall up. EVACUATE QUICKLY.
    Question 3 I fully agree and except your answer except depending on the extent of the fire i would choose if to put my mask on but i would not be on air until entering the building or getting near extreme smoke.
    Anyone that has comments please write back.

Forum Member

Originally posted by gretnajrff2293
    first of all I go to school and do very well its just i cannot type very well.
    Second I know the answers to my question and i was asking JUNIORS what they think just to see what they say.
    Now if you don't see the first to qeustions as be questions toward safety on a seen you sir need to go to fire school.
    Question 1. The smoke rolling out of the roof and going back threw the windows means that the fire is sucking air at an extreme and as soon as you bust the windows out or take the door in the fire will flash back. SO BE READY BEFORE KICKING IN THE DOORS.
    Question 2. The fire showing threw the brick means there is little holding the wall up. EVACUATE QUICKLY.
    Question 3 I fully agree and except your answer except depending on the extent of the fire i would choose if to put my mask on but i would not be on air until entering the building or getting near extreme smoke.
    Anyone that has comments please write back.
    ummmm..... you don't know the answers...and you condescending attitude isn't going to win you points, either.

re Question 1: the fire won't "flash back". this condition is one of the ones that is a precursor to a backdraft. The only way to stop it is through vertical ventilation... if it's not possible, vent horizontally away a distance away from the windows if possible and prepare for it, because once fresh air hits the fire, it will flare up with explosive intensity. PS: it isn't like the movie!

Question 2: fire coming through cracks in the brickwork is an impending sign of a collapse. The questions are...what is the construction of the building? Wood frame with a wythe of brick veneer or stucco designed to look like brick? Ordinary construction? Heavy timber? Fire resistive with a brick veneer? Non Combustible with a brick veneer? Are there superheated lightweight steel bar joist trusses or elongating steel beams and girders pushing the walls out, causing the cracks in the brickwork? Is it a bearing or non bearing wall? How will the wall collapse, and how far will it go? Where are the collapse zones and the safety zones?

Question 3: You mask up when ordered to by your company officer. A good company officer will recognize when to go on air to keep his/her personnel safe so at the end of the tour "everyone goes home". What Truckman 38 said was correct; safety is paramount !

This is something that you will learn in time under the tutelage of a good firefighter. Hell, I've been on the job for 22 years and I am still learning something new every day!

Asking what other juniors would they would do is pointless, since they can't do a lot of the things you are asking or do not have the experience.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-17-2003 at 08:41 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

Where I come from that attitude would result in you not getting on a truck for a very long time! Leave the attitude at home!

Like the Captain said there are a lot of variables. Odviously you just read the text book and want to go about flaunting your vast knowlege of nothing. Know-it-all syndrome is very dangerous on the fire ground.

No matter what we all have a lot to learn, some have more to learn than others.....

One more thing, you could at least proof-read your posts.
    Proud member IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok hold on. Let's give this young Jr. a chance to see the error of his ways (maybe even before he gets his a@# kicked at the station).

2293 the two guys posting here are FF's not Jr's. Capt. Gonzo is one of the most respected opinions you will find on these forms. Before you post again read their comments twice and think about them. I am the advisor for our Jr's and I realize that sometimes in your zest to fit you you Jr's throw around attitude, but do not do it here.

Recently on the Jr. form some FF's including myself have presented questions for you guys. It has now evolved into Jr's asking each other questions, which is fine. The problem you have is that your questions are vauge and not well thought out. There is not one right answer to the first to. The last one should not even be asked, WERE YOUR PACK. The decision to go on air is the officers. I hope you would never go to a roof with out a pack and I do not think you would want to carry it up the ladder, so it better be on.

What I am saying is before you post it, think about it. As you type it read it over (you can also then check the spelling) and see if it make sense as you read it. Finaly, use that little profile button under each guys post and look at who you are talking to. There are many people here that you can learn alot from.

Good Luck!

Ok Capt. The ball is in his court let's see how he does.
    B Holmes

Iam currently in my ff1 class and no i don't know everything about ff but and neither does any one else. I know i don't no nearly as much as capt. Gonzo. Thanks to all of you who clarified my answers. These questions came from my ff1 class in which we watch a live movie where we picked out the mistakes of other real fire dept. As air being a vital element in fighting fire I would pick and choose when to be on it. There are people in my dept. that are on air when they are on the engine going to the scene. To me thats redicules that is what i was refering to on the air pack question.
    Thanks for your thoughts i enjoy disscusing them.

Angry Teamwork

Hey guys!

You guys have to remember one thing - this is a forum where juniors/explorers/cadets can exchange idea's and experiences. Let's try not to bring people down!! Remember - firefighters also frequent this site, what will they think when they see a couple of juniors arguing over something as silly as a little quiz??
    **These are my opinions solely and do not represent any agency that I am affiliated with**

MembersZone Subscriber

The way I see it is first and foremost a Cadet/junior is in a learning stage and would be best served to Shut there mouths and open there ears and show a little respect when an officer is speaking to them or in this case typing to them.

gretnajrff2293 you have bigger issues then you’re in ability to type. I will pass some advice on to you that was given to me not long ago, use a spell checker, infact MS Word is great for Grammar and spelling. At least it will help you capitalize your "I"'s

Forum Member

Unhappy

If only we put as much effort into educating the young as we do complaining about their spelling and attitudes, what a great place this would be.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Always remember

"Training is learning the rules, experience is learning the exceptions"

The classes that you are taking now are giving you the foundation to learn the job. Training is important but when it comes to doing this job safely and correctly your classroom will be working fires and the teachers will be the experienced firefighters with you. Just because you have the classes does NOT mean that you are a firefighter. To be a firefighter you must have the classes and the experience. I have seen quite a few fires in my short time; none of them have been a textbook case.

At this stage you should be like a sponge- quiet and soaking up everything you can. If you have a question think it out, spell check it, re-read and when you are certain it is a good question then post it.
    Proud member IACOJ

Thread Information