Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Oldest aerial in service??

Help me out here, guys. I made a remark to some firefighters here that our aerial device, a 1968 ALF 75' ladder truck is the oldest front-line aerial in service in the nation. I was kinda joking, but then I thought about it and realized that I may be right! Does anyone know of an aerial device that is older than our 1968 ALF that is still in FRONT LINE service in America? One of our guys stated that surely, there was something older out there still doing front line service. I'm talking first-due aerial, not some reserve truck that only rolls once in a blue moon to back up a fleet of late model trucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Nice...

Pretty nice for a 1968. There are quite a
    few 60s Crowns still in service. Check them
    out-

http://www.crownisking.org/crownsnorkels.html

http://www.crownisking.org/crownaerials.html
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-16-2003 at 06:18 PM.

Warehouse Point Fire Department in East Windsor, CT has a 1947 ALF still in service as a frontline piece.

Its replacement just arrived the other week but the new truck won't be in service for a few months.

If their website is up and running (which is unusual lately), you can see the old truck at http://www.whpfd.org/ladd138.GIF and the new one at http://www.bbfd.org/pics/Apparatus/Truck138.jpg
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Our neihgboring town just bauhgt a new 850,000 85' arial, and they got royaly ****ed with no help. but wut ever. they only need a 75' footer, and they've burned down plenty of buildings with there old one, i dont see why they need a new one to burn down buildings

Originally posted by Kvfcjr
    Our neihgboring town just bauhgt a new 850,000 85' arial, and they got royaly ****ed with no help. but wut ever. they only need a 75' footer, and they've burned down plenty of buildings with there old one, i dont see why they need a new one to burn down buildings
    Thanks for the insightful, on-topic discussion
    IACOJ Agitator

Forum Member

Just curious as to the question of safety.

Are these old sticks certified? We had an old Lafrance back in 90 and it didn't pass the UL test. 91 we got a new Pierce.I have seen a few pics and heard stories in my time about the old ladders that fail when there is actually an animate object on it. I sure wouldn't want the liability of using something that has not been certified.

And what makes you an expert...a little "stick envy", no doubt!

Adze...take care of this pup!

PS: I checked the Warehouse Point photos..it appears you transposed the 7 and the 4 in the date!
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-17-2003 at 10:34 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber jaybird210's Avatar
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Th, that is one nice-looking truck.

There's just something about those older ALFs.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Originally posted by Captain Gonzo

I checked the Warehouse Point photos..it appears you transposed the 7 and the 4 in the date!
    I was gonna say... that's one nice looking '47!
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Forum Member

I think the Warehouse Point rig is actually a '47 aerial, but was refurbed with a Century Series cab in the 70's. Look at the ladder and rear body. It's definitely a very old ALF.

As far as the oldest aerial goes, I've heard that Memphis is still running Pirsch tillers whose trailers and aerials date back to something like 1938. These rigs have been refurbed a number of times, and now have Ford L tractors from the early 80's, but the trailers date back a very long way. Perhaps somebody from Memphis can provide more info.

I think the Warehouse Point rig is actually a '47 aerial, but was refurbed with a Century Series cab in the 70's. Look at the ladder and rear body. It's definitely a very old ALF.

That's what they did. I saw it @ New England Chief's parade last year, in person the age of the body/aerial really shows!

wow.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Can anybody here translate this gibberish? Junior, did you expect a 75' ladder to cost, say, $5,995? Does that other ten feet affect you? As for "need", do you know the first thing about ISO? Are you aware of the difference between height and reach? Have you ever heard the expression "When the pipe goes up, the building comes down"? Do you see that a fire severe enough to require an elevated master stream is probably severe enough to destroy the building?

Definite case of ladder envy.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

I know of a company in county that runs a 53-ish White as first out "ladder" . Certification doubtfull. Would I trust it? Not a chance!! Maybe the guy from Tunkhannock can shed some light on it, its closer to him than I.

Default Old Sticks

Well we just retired our 1964 Pirsch 75'. It was only retired
    due to the ladder failed its recert. So we bought a used 86 Pirsch
    from Madison FD. We love it and it serves us well.

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

Cool

And I thought we were strugglin' with our '75 Sutphen...

Nice Lookin' ALF
    Last edited by F52Westside; 02-17-2003 at 05:51 PM.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

we have a 78 Sutphen ...............and yours looks grreat for 28 !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Found One!!

Don't have a picture, and wouldn't know how to post it anyway, But, Woodsboro Maryland's 1956 Mack Open cab 85ft straight truck is still good looking and still works well. I admit that I have not checked with anyone there before posting, so something may have changed. Anybody from Frederick County know more?? Thanks, Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Freetown Mass. has a 1956 Maxim 65' tiller in front line service as Ladder 91. Fall River Mass. ran a 1942 Pirsch until about 5 yrs. ago.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Originally posted by OneL1L
    Yes, it was a '47 but refurbed in the 70's. I would have typed this earlier in the day but I was too busy freezing my tail off 95' in the air thanks to their new truck.

Side note: The WhPFD ALF started off in East Hartford and was later sold to Warehoue Point. Warehouse Point is the FD that refurbed it though (or so I think...I have permanent brain freeze).
    IACOJ Agitator

Thread Information