Forum Member

Default "Authorized Cancel" on automatic alarms?

Let's say you are dispatched to a house where the alarm company has called your dispatch to report that the monitored alarm in the residence has been activated.

You respond and a few minutes later, your dispatch informs you that the homeowner has called back the alarm company and reported a false alarm. They had the correct password and all necessary information.

Will you still respond, or cancel?

--spud--

Forum Member

We cancel all responding units except the first due engine. They will verify the the situation and get the homeowners information for a (Fire run)report.

Forum Member

We do the same as sfdR1Lt's FD.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Basically we're the same, except it's usually the closest officer whose responding in their POV who goes to verify in person. Everyone else holds.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Yup, you gotta carry on and go to the scene, (at least one unit) I recall when I was a contol officer (dispatcher) in the LFB, I received a auto fire alarm call, then we got a call from the premises saying it was a false alarm, no fire, our policy was to let the attendance carry on and check it out. On arrival of the first engine, we got a "Make pumps four, persons reported" So dont take any chances.

MembersZone Subscriber

"Hold the First Engine on a local, Non-emergency, Place the other units in service"

All depends on who is in Charge. Some officers will just go in service and go back home (Might miss the latest episode of "Divorce Court") But after-hours, we usually go in and check them out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default auto alarms

First in Engine responds on in non emergency, all other return.

We are pretty much the same as everyone else here, 1st in vehicle takes a report. All else in service.

We have more than one local department that goes all units back in service.

It only takes one to wish you always followed up.
    Remember,

If you don't respond.....who will

IACOJ EMS Bureau Member
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

First Due Engine Continues In To Confirm And Get The Info For The Report. All Other Units Return To Quarters. If We Get An Alarm For The Same Address Several Times In One Shift At Some Point The Platoon Commander Will Just Start Sending One Engine.

Forum Member

we have it as first due Chief and engine code 3 ........all other units continue the response until cancelled ........usually the first engine takes information for the report.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

MembersZone Subscriber
    Hopefully, a parallel universe where my location doesn't keep getting deleated.

Question Same as Above and a Question

We do the same....hold the 1st arriving engine & return all others to service.

I am curious to know if anyone's dept has a policy that the 1st engine must continue running hot to that scene, once it's been determined that there's no emergency...?

That was our policy a few years back because that was what the larger city Dept adjacent to us was doing...
    Talk about unnecessary risk! - fortunately, we stopped.

Anyone else do that?
    TUTUM TE ROBORE REDDAM
    In Valor, There Is Hope.

Command vehicle and first due engine continue in and if confirmed false by command, engine returns to service.
    Marc S.
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Solon Local 2079

Our policy is also that 1st unit will continue non-emergency to verify and do report.

Some of our local departments cancel all engines and do not go to scene. Another department leaves it up to the Senior officer of the area to decide.

Someday they are going to get "burned"
    Remember,

If you don't respond.....who will

IACOJ EMS Bureau Member
    IACOJ Member

MembersZone Subscriber

About 0.1% of the automatic alarm resets and 2% of the human resets are made while there remains an active fire that requires attention. On the automatic (smoke detection) systems, you have a very small incipient fire.

When the resident is calling to cancel the response it is more to avoid the embarassment of a couple of fire rigs screaming up to the building. Nearest unit proceeds in non-emergency to verify situation. I vividly remember one "cancelled" call where we turned the corner to see a single family dwelling with smoke rolling out the front door.

Just as important, if the fire department does not show up, how does the taxpayer (or vfd contributer) know we exist? Gotta retain that cause and effect!

Mike

MembersZone Subscriber

Both of my depts handle this situation in 2 completely different ways. My career dept. will continue to respond the first due engine but not in an emergent manor. The other 3 units well return to quarters. In my volly dept however, once the cancel order comes over the radio the trucks turn around and return to quarters. Ive been doing everything I can to change that but sometimes it seems my dept is actually REgressive not progressive.
    After I'm dead I'd rather have people ask why I have no monument than why I have one

Official Minister of Philosophy of the IACOJ

IACOJ Probie Crusty of the year 2003

Forum Member

Wow! I am surprised at how many of you continue your response. At both my career and my volunteer dept's, the following occurs:
    Dispatch receives a call for a fire alarm.

Dispatch obtains a phone number for the residence or business and attempts to make contact before any units are dispatched.

If busy or no answer, a single engine is dispatched. If contact is made and no problem exists, the call is closed without dispatch.

If a call from residence, business, or alarm company comes in while the engine is en route advising false alarm, the truck turns around and heads to the station.

In any event, a fire alarm is a still alarm (single engine response), with the exception of some hi-rise and commercial buildings, which get a ladder truck also.
    These are my opinions and not those of the organizations for which I work and/or volunteer.

Dispatch Dweller
    On the way to the station. Really. It's 12 kilometers away and there's traffic.

At the absolute displeasure of the local alarm companies, both my volunteer and career departments continue the first due pump 'cold' to determine the situation. Like others, we've arrived to find a situation totally different from what the alarm co has described. The alarm companies around here get rather upset that we won't cancel, as if we aren't trusting of them.

So, on that topic, what kind of service do you get from the alarm companies in your area? We have them trying to send us to post office boxes, legal land descriptions - anything but the actual street address. Usually the residents are horrified when we describe to them what their alarm company is trying to pass off as an address. We try to get across to these people (the alarm co's) that we need a valid address that we can drive to, but they don't seem interested in doing more than the bare minimum. On top of that, they promise they'll call back with a keyholder, but very rarely do.

--j.

MembersZone Subscriber

If busy or no answer, a single engine is dispatched. If contact is made and no problem exists, the call is closed without dispatch.
    How do you close a call with out dispatch once the dispatch occurrs?

Here's one for you. A department where I used to work once got a call for a trouble signal (supervisory etc.). It seems the FIRE burned through the phone line. Needless to say continuing the first due company avoided making a bad situation worse.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Thread Information