Default Vehicles getting out of the way

I dont know about your departments but in mine we respond code 1 to all incidents unless otherwise instructed. But wile responding code 1 wich is lights and siren some people are so ignorant they dont pull over for us. We all know how much of a diffrence minutes can be when going to diffrent calls. The other day during one of my calsses at school another student made a comment about how people pull over for emergency vehicles, and when i told him that a fair number of people dont pull over, he told me i was wrong. I told him i was a firefighter and we have lights and sirens and people dont always pull over. so i guess my question is does anyone else have this problem and how can we try to fix it?
    Always Remember:
    FireFighters Never Die,
    They Just Eat Smoke and Breath Fire!

i think everyone has this problem and nomatter how many lights or how loud the sirens are there just isint much we can do. i'm afraid that it will be this way for ever. people just dont move.
    never forget 343 FDNY
    in memory of 40 ENGINE/35 TRUCK
    normal people spend their life's avoiding intense situations.....a fireman's life is an intence situation.

Forum Member

we luckly dont have much of a problem with it. the only time i can remember was when we were responding to a mutual aid call for a barn with heavy smoke (got there and there was like no fire or smoke) and there was a tractor in front of us and i was switchin' sirens and everything trying to get his attention. i dont know if he didnt hear me or what but he ended up pulling over. if i remember right the ditch was pretty steep. so it was just as good he didnt try to pull over. one time during vollyball season we were leaving the station and as we turn onto the road perpendicular to main street (which is where we needed to get) and there was a semi going by on main street and must of saw our lights because by the time we turned onto main street he was already pulled over and stopped. we run mostly rural calls to the north of town and our station is pretty much on the northern most part of town.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member

it takes some coordination with the PD but i am a big fan of either

1) having the PD trail the respond fire units to the call and pull anyone over who does not obey and handing out gigantic tickets to them

2) have the officer take down the license plate # of any cars that do not pull over and sending them to the PD to be ticketed--although i realize the officer is probably too busy to do that or is thinking of other things

Permanently Removed

Get over the PA system and yell "would th person in the *color* *kind of car* get out of out way" or just do wut i do, lay on the Q and the air horn. tohugh i do that even when they do get out of my way,

Thumbs up

well where i live they move and they dont... it depends, if they wanna be jack a**es then they wont but 9 out of 10 move... think about it you got a big a** fire truck rideing your a** makin a lot of noise...lol.. they even pull over for blue lights as well, so like i said it depends who it is and what kinda mood they are in..

Temporarily/No Longer Active

we dont really have that problem here cuz when they see bright lights and loud sirens comin towards them and they dont need to think twice to move out the way.

MembersZone Subscriber

What you guys are referring to is called Murphy's Law of Emergency Response, andi t has two parts. Firstly, at any time when the emergency lights are turned on, on any emergency vehicle, all other drivers on the road instantly become blind. The second part is that, whenever a siren or air horn is used, all other drivers on the road become instantly deaf. This is jhust one of the many Murphy's Laws that cover every particular area of the fire service that you can imagine. Try searching for it, and see what you can find.

Also, i don;t think I have ever heard of runnign code as referred to as "Code 1." The majority of places use Code 3 for lights and sirens or Code 2, for non-emergency response. Code 1, around here just means that you have acknowledged the radio traffic relayed to you.

Enjoy the list of Murphy's Laws, if you can find it.

MembersZone Subscriber

hey you forgot murphy law that say drivers will not only forget to pull to the right but those drivers to will just stop right in front of you. man i hate that. im a medic in arlington and they always do that here. oh and we run priority one and two "lights and siren responce" priority three "non emergent"

Thread Information