MembersZone Subscriber

Default ? about fire grant

This may sound like a silly ? but can you apply for funding of fire hydrants from the FEMA Fire Act Grant. We are a small rural dept. And cannot afford $2,600 per hydrant to in stall 3 or 4 that we need on a annual budget of $3,700. It will be hard enough to come up with the 10% if we were allowed to apply for them.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Golden, didn't quite give us enough information to give you an answer. What kind of hydrants? The regular hooked to municipal water supplies? Or dry hydrants at lakes? (Considering the cost you stated, I doubt it's dry hydrants.)

Going by the assumption that the program involves the government and they change things at the blazing speed of a salty slug, the rules for the program probably won't be much different than last year's. And if you are looking for hydrants that will be hooked to a municipal water supply, it's outside the realm of the grant program. Not that it's a bad thought to want to put in hydrants since it does help the department and the citizens, more importantly, why would you be paying for hydrants to hook up to the water supply? That's the water authority's job. Wherever you want to put them get the residents and business owners to help y'all out with putting pressure on the authority to put them in. If you have to rely on tankers when there's a supply buried right there in front of you, and you lose the place because the water authority won't pony up for a couple hydrants, the resulting lawsuit will cost much more than the $10Gs for the hydrants.

Let someone else pick up the tab for what they should be picking up the tab for. Save your matching money for something you need, like foam, or a thermal imager, some gear or airpacks.

Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hydrant question

Based on the criteria put forth at the recent workshop I attended, this does not fit. However, this is a Capital Improvement for your town, which you should look to State Aid/Grant monies to provide. Most states have programs to assist municipalities with these types of improvements. Check with your local Town Administrator and water company to see what it available.
    NCVFC17

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all your input. I didn't think pressurized hydrants would be coverd but i thought i would ask. Here in rural Arkansas the water systems are run by rural water assoc. that won't put in any hydrants either due to lack of money or lack of interest. Our local rural assoc. is very helpful in helping us any way they can. But I have talk to a few fire chiefs in the state where that is not the case. In one case a fire dept paid for hydrants had them installed and then the water assoc. put locks on them and even went so far as to have the police arrest a fire fighter for cutting the lock and using the water, insisting he was "stealing" it.
    As far as state money there is or should i say was grants availble but we got notice a while back that due to the bad economy and state cut backs there is no money for grants and won't be for some time to come. So I guess we will just have to do the best we can. Thanks

Forum Member

Default Force their hand

This attitude by the water company is unacceptable. Force their hand. Send the Water Co. a certified letter explaining your concerns and requesting water access via hydrants(unlocked) for public safety. If the company has any decent legal council, they will advise them that rejection will open them up to future litigation. Another avenue to explore is an article in your local paper. Remember the water compnay is a business and must respond to its customers. With all the issues our rural departments must worry about,this should not be one of them. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

I have to get in on this, being both a water system operator and a fire chief.
    Speaking of Illinois water districts, most are funded by grants and loans from Rural Development Agency of the US Dept. of Agriculture. They build water systems for drinking water and not fire protection. This is where the problem comes in when a new system is put in. BUT, on an existing system, as long as the main can supply enough water, the water system should have no problem with another agency installing hydrants. They may require the FD to report the water used to them so they can account for it, but they can't keep a FD from using it as long as they don't harm the water system, that is by maybe sucking a PVC pipe shut or by flowing so much water that the pressure in the system goes under 20 PSI. That would require a boil order to be issued by the water supply and that's a pain in the rear for them. We have had businesses put in hydrants to help their insurance ratings and we've had our small towns add extra hydrants to help out the FD. You have to watch out on rural water systems. Most tend to have only large enough mains to supply potable water and not fire water. Chances are you may not be able to get much water out of the hydrants even if you had them.
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Smile

You could check a couple of other grant sources too. Sometimes states have lottery money that is earmarked for protecting the environment. Usually, you get to those funds through a state legislative contact. Once in a while I have also seen programs come through the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Thread Information