Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber rocket455's Avatar

Question How does one get into Arson Investigation?

I'm curious about this. I'm thinking about enrolling in the Fire Science degree program at school. I'm interested in arson investigation and wanted to know if a degree will help me get into that area of fire and rescue. For those that maybe investigators, can you tell me how to go about getting into this area?

Thanks,
    Andy

Default Arson Investigator

While I don't know about the degree helping you. Most states I
    believe have seperate certifications concerning arson investigators.
    In Ohio their is the basic investigator then it goes from their. If
    you are a member of a department with a Arson bureau talk to them, if not you might want to contact your local state Public Safety/Fire division.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Re: How does one get into Arson Investigation?

Originally posted by rocket455
    I'm curious about this. I'm thinking about enrolling in the Fire Science degree program at school. I'm interested in arson investigation and wanted to know if a degree will help me get into that area of fire and rescue. For those that maybe investigators, can you tell me how to go about getting into this area?

Thanks,
    Andy
    Since I do not know what state you are in it is hard to say fo sure. Most State Fire Marshall offices have a class to take then a certification test. I am certified in two States. Then there is the question to you want to be private or Public service. You can take classes in Investigation and find a private company near you you will start out being a gopher and doing the digging out. The university of New Haven Conn. has a Bach. Degree in Arson also.
    Hope this gives you some place to start.
    GFIRE

If you are a member of an FD already, apply for the National Fire Academy's course. It will give you creditability. Many courts use it as a base reference for qualified training. You will eventually have to go through it anyway. Arson investigation is a game of out-qualifying the competition, the more classes, training, and seminars you take the better you look in the eyes of the courts. That is what it is all about. It can get very expensive to maintain these qualifications, especially in the private world. Don't lose heart though, it can be done. It just takes a bit of work and effort.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Default Fire Science Graduate

I am going to be graduating from the University of New Have in CT. i am goingto have a bachelors degree in fire science with a concentration in fire/arson investigation. also i am going to have a minor in criminal justice. to get to the point, i am curious to know if anyone out there knows of any companies that are hiring for fire investigators
    Remember 9-11-01
    FDNY, NYPD, PAPD, NYPH
    Keith Fairben, FPFD LT, Paramedic NYPH, most of all, friend. You will not be forgotten brother.

"Firemen are going to be killed right along. They know it, every man of them, firefighting is a hazardous occupation; it is dangerous on the face of it, tackling a burning building. The risks are plain. Consequently, when a man becomes a fireman, his act of bravery has already been accomplished."
    -- New York Fire Department Chief Edward F. Croker. 1908

Yes, there are companies out there who do hire Investigators, but your best bet would be to get a job in a prevention bureau or fire marshal's office and get a few years experience under your belt. You will have an easier go at it if you go this route. Like I was saying before, experience and creditability is the name of the game.
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

Thread Information