Question Suggestions Needed, where can I find really small gear????

I have been firefighting for a few years now and my gear is pretty old and rattty. Actually it is all hand me downs, except my boots which were the smallest our dept. related shop had. I'm an awfully small female and would like to find some gear my size for once and am having a hard time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you.

Forum Member

Default Hmmmm.

I don't know how things work in your neck of the woods, but up here when it was time for gear we were measured for it. My gear fits perfectly obviously because it was made for me. I am one of two females on our department, and both of us received gear that was tailored for "us". Don't know if this helps at all, just thought I'd share our experience.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Here at our department we are also fitted for our gear. From the little experience I have had with ordering gear the manufacturer of the company you are purchasing from will make available a representative to measure the prospective purchasers. I would call any of the places of interest and see exactly what they offer. I know that they can make smaller gear and would be willing to do so. I do not know if there will be a fee for the special order. So like I said just call around and see. Hope that helps.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Best thing to do is convince your Chief that the gear needs replacement, and then work through your regular dealer, and as Pfire says, get it personally fitted. It should be taylored that way anyway.

I also received new gear this past Christmas (WWWWOOOOHHHHHOOOO!!!!! ) And its great! I was allowed to make some minor but too me, very important "custom" choices, concerning pocket type & size, as well as the type of closure system. I personally prefer the zipper/velcro over the D-ring/velcro closures, but there are pros and cons to that - in the end, its a matter of personal choice and preference.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Gear

Well we just went through the same thing and we bought gear
    from a company called Quest. We had Globe before but they threw a fit when we asked them we wanted fitted. They said we didn't order enough.
    So we went to another company and everyone loves this gear. Its lightweight yet gives you great protection. And I agree zipper/velcro is the way to go! But you need to talk to your Chief and voice your concern about your gear not fitting properly. Also might want to talk to the Officer in Charge of equipment/gear he may be able to help.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

All you have to do is get your chief to get hold of one of the many suppliers in your area and they will be glad to fit you as it is a sale if they tell you that your hall does not buy enough gear hang up and try the next supplier someone can help you.

Hiwire21

I am a somewhat average female, and I also got new gear from Chiefy this Christmas. I got measured for my gear, and it fits perfectly. Most gear manufacturers make gear to your measurements, so it shouldn't be too tough to get well fitting gear. One piece of advice: if you are getting bunker style boots, err on the larger side, because after a few minutes tramping around in them at a fire, you feet will start to swell. If you are really small you might want to contact the manufacturer, to keep your gear from being disproportionate. Some makers have only a few different body sizes onto which they attach arms, so you don't want a huge bulky coat with short little sleeves.
    -Julia

Forum Member

confessions--

Good grief, how dang little are you?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Hi there,

Try www.ebay.com and type in under searches (click the box for all searches, not just titles) bunker gear, turnout gear, NFPA, etc., and you will find some amazing deals, and a lot of the gear is brand new and can be had at next to nothing. Especially being smaller the prices will stay very low because you aren't bidding against too many people. You can even get a pair of leather firefighting boots new for less than 50 dollars if you have small feet (weeha!). Good luck!

Forum Member

confessions, tell your Chief this is a health and safety issue. Your gear must fit properly in order to protect you properly. Too small, (not likely the case here) and it hinders your movement and allows exposure. Too large and it also hinders your movement as well as posing a hazard for tripping etc.
    I was fitted for my gear. The biggest problem I have now is boots. The 3/4 length ones are too tall and end up right at the back of my knee. NOT very comfortable and make it difficult to bend down

Default THANK YOU EVERYONE

Thank you so much for your input. Up here, well new gear is hard to come buy. We out fit about 3 or 4 people per year. When I went for boot I got the smallest they had but still have to wear regular socks and wool socks to keep them tight. Anyways I'll definitely have a sit down with him about it because it would never pass the state fire academy standards but then again I would hate to part with it!
    But I know you would all understand taht. To answer one of your questions, I'm 5'3'' and only 93 lbs. but for the past 7 years ahve proven size doesn't matter. Well, Ok I did get stuck in the seat of the new truck once b/c I couldn't touch the ground!

Thanks again!!!

Forum Member

www.keebler.com

I kid because I love.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

There is a recruit in Class #157 (at the Massachusetts Firefighting Academy) who has the same problem. His Chief issued him a bunker coat that is way too big for him. Class #157 is in training day #5 and today they were covering the nature of fire...the instructors set a small fire in the burn building and show how smoke and heat rise, thermal balance, etc. He stated that he could "feel a draft" from under the coat.

The Recruit coordinator is putting in a call to his chief to get the recruit properly fitting gear or he cannot come back to class.

Properly fitting gear is essential...it is a safety issue!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

We just had 2 new females fitted for gear and they were told that the gear we buy has a women’s style gear.

Also for the record:

We are a small Dept. that only buys gear when we REALLY NEED it (read as less that 1 complete set per year on average with a "big year" of 3 to 5 sets)

We are ALWAYS measured and fitted for gear.

For the last several years we have bought Globe gear. For whomever it was that said Globe wouldn't custom fit them because they didn't buy enough - I think that the sales rep (who are mostly independent dealers) was the one who didn't want to fit you.

Also - via a quick Web search I found that Quaker Safety also has a Female Cut for their gear.

http://www.quakersafety.com/html/histprod.html

Good luck in your search and don't stop until you have PPE that fit's you properly.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

Default just a lil FYI

Just prior to being measured for my new, well fitting gear, I was at an auto extrication class. While there, I met a woman from a neighboring department and we were discussing gear. She told myself and the other female ff'er on our department NOT to order the female cut because it is exactly what it says it is, it is cut a lil wider in the hips and narrower in the waist, and according to her whenever she had to bend or squat the waist area would dig in; and this was gear that was properly measured and tailored for her. So I went back to my chief and requested a man's cut pant to avoid this problem. I don't know if it is an issue for all women, or just for some, but with the cost of turnouts I didn't think there was room for taking a chance that I wouldn't like the product in the end. I am more than happy with the men's cut, it all fits cuz it was made for my body shape and size. I just thought I'd toss out another tidbit of info for you to take into consideration when you get your new turnout gear.
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Arrow Heres a rep in your area

Confessions I might know a guy in your area who can assist you in finding proper fitting gear including boots. Heres his email addy he can hook you up.... wfd30c1@aol.com the last I heard he was still working for a distributor in NewHampshire. Good Luck hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Small Gear

Everyone here is correct

I was with my friend who is a instructor and there was someone at the department is very tiny

I thought it was a joke because it was so small, but this girl is about 5'2" 90lbs.

It was GLOBE gear

-You chief should know that in order for you to be protected you have to have properly fitted gear-

Get some new stuff

Permanently Removed

Default Again...

From fuzzy handcuffs to snow chains to small
    turnout gear, you can find most anything at-
    www.ebay.com

Talking Hey over here

I sell gear! $1,000 for pretty good new gear, only thing it is that goldish color. If you need another color I bet ya I can get it for oyu. E-mail me sometime soon.
    Backdraft_Firefighter2001@yahoo.com
    Danny B
    (My old name was FirefighterDan)
    Wayne Twsp. Volunteer Fire Dept
    "Pompton Falls Co #3"
    "Lets Never Forget Our Fallen Heroes"
    9-11-01
    -PCFA Class of 2001
    Firefighter 1

Permanently Removed

[QUOTE]Originally posted by drkblram
    [B]confessions, I know a woman here in lower CT who is about your size, or maybe even a tad shorter. I would have no problem operating with her at a incident (she is not actually with my dept, but one in a neighboring town). she seems to have figured out how to use techinques and creativity to get the job done just fine.
    QUOTE]

She may have a problem working with you at an incident though!!!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FFSkull
    [B]
    Originally posted by drkblram
    confessions, I know a woman here in lower CT who is about your size, or maybe even a tad shorter. I would have no problem operating with her at a incident (she is not actually with my dept, but one in a neighboring town). she seems to have figured out how to use techinques and creativity to get the job done just fine.
    QUOTE]

She may have a problem working with you at an incident though!!!
    I think the only person that there would be a problem working with is you. Why do you think that is? Could it be that you insist on attacking people and making derogatory comments directed at them?

Could it be that you are arrogant?

Could it be that you have obviously let a personal issue cloud your judgement enough that you are now going after someone on an International open forum?

Or could it simply be that you act like a spoiled child that doesn't get their own way?

It was my HONOR and PRIVILAGE to meet drkblram last October. You seem to like taking parts of things that have been said, and twisting or just taking runs at him. While he is a big boy and can take care of himself, I simply refuse to sit by while you continually attack someone because they want to learn. Maybe you should take a que from that and realize that you don't know everything, if you go a day without learning something it is a wasted day, and the day you think you do know everything and are on fire ground, YOU are the most dangerous thing out there!

Oh since there was accusations already made by you, about him reporting posts to the WT. I reported your post.

WT if you want to suspend me for this post, go ahead, I wont retract it or apologize for it. We are not in highschool anymore and it is exactly things like FFSkull has continually posted that make people not want to come here anymore.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default BMI sniffed 'm out; snuffed 'm out!

Tempie:
    You wasted a good tongue lashing.
    FFSkull-"permanently removed". Gee; now wherever will I go to read his pearls of wisdom?
    I'm glad I straightened my act up. "permanently removed" under your user name is so unbecoming!
    I want to thank the people who made this possible. Don't stand up; you know who you are.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Forum Member

Default Good Job

Good Job Tempie. We will never know what his problem was but it was probally something stupid like drkblram screen name or anything like that. ohwell what can you do.
    Good Job Tempie.
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

Thread Information