MembersZone Subscriber

Question WOW! Is that a new truck?

My department has just purchased two new trucks, which is a good thing. Here's where the problem comes in. The majority of the firefighters feel that this will bring in new people because we have something new. Has anyone ever had this kind of thing happen, and what kind of people does it bring in? I'm not saying that this would be a totally bad thing. I just do want people who wouldn't be there under the old circumstances, starting to show up because we bought a new truck.

Default New trucks

we bought a new truck and ambulance and it did not bring us any new members. If no one is coming to volunteer before the new truck, it will not make a different to someone who has no clue about the fire dept.or fire apparatus that you have a new truck. Even the people on our dept. did not seem to care to much it's just a new truck, the new toy will soon be forgotten so i don't think you will get waves of people knocking on your door.

IACOJ Agitator

The 2 FD's in my town, my other FD, and some of the surrounding FDs that I know of haven't recieved an increase in membership due to new pieces.

Although it would be nice, I have never seen it happen.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

I forgot to mention that one of these trucks would be a ladder. The first ever in town. The talk of the town for a population of just over 3500.

Forum Member

What may happen is that the old dredges that you got rid of some time again my come back to see the new piece.

You know the kind, Astronauts. They take up space. The ones who did nothing but complain the whole time they were there. And now they'll complain about the truck since they had nothing to do with the specs.

I hope that doesn't happen but unfortunately it all too often does.

Good luck with the new piece.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile I Dunno............

Dragonfyre?.. You mean the guys with the solar pagers? Not much use for that crowd anyway.... Haven't seen a surge in membership because of new apparatus, at least here in Md. What did happen though, when we moved to a new station on the main drag, we had an influx of applicants. The old station was back down a side street, you had to know where to look. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default It depends...

It can help but it really depends on department's situation. If you have been operating with antiquated equipment (i.e. junk), then the new, modern equipment can be a powerful tool to reintroduce your department to the community. A few years ago, we replaced a 1964 Mack that might crank and if it started, might pump with a 1998 E-One and more recently we replaced a worn-out light rescue with a modern piece of equipment. In both cases, the public interest generated helped us recruit new members. Like the others said, you're more likely to get folks just looking to play on the shiny new toy but some of them can turn out to be quality recruits.

Congrads on the new stuff!

Forum Member

Our Dept. cant afford new enough apparatus to draw any attention lol
    Matt

LIEUTENANT
    Covington Fire/Rescue, Texas

U.S.A.F Reserve Firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber

As a semi-retired volunteer, I returned to the station the other night and noticed the filthiness of the equipment. Now here is the point, they are scheduled to be receiving a new engine in August, and I know that there are a dozen people who want to be the "Truck Captain", eventhough they won't dedicate the time to keep current rigs clean. Seems a shame.

Thread Information