ST.PETERSBURG TIMES--Pasco Edition

Girl, 5, suffers burns after burning garbage blows up

By Times staff writer© St. Petersburg Times
published February 11, 2003

TRILBY -- A 5-year-old girl was airlifted to Tampa General Hospital's burn center on Monday evening after she received first- and second-degree burns to her face.

The girl was standing near a barrel filled with burning garbage when "something from the barrel blew up in her face," said Jeff Morgan, a firefighter and paramedic with Tri-Community Volunteer Fire Department.

The injury occurred about 5:40 p.m. at 20920 Beaver Road. The girl was airlifted as a precaution, Morgan said.