Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Post Manatee Fla--Firefighter falls from truck responding to false alarm

Committee said injured fire fighter should have worn belt

BY ERIN BRYCE

EAST COUNTY -- The East Manatee Fire Rescue safety committee determined Tuesday a senior fire fighter wouldn't have fallen from a moving truck last week if he had been wearing a seat belt.

Fire Chief Bobby Dodge will meet with Ricky Wren, acting lieutenant for Braden River Fire District 4, after he returns to work. The chief will then decide if Wren will be reprimanded, Deputy Chief Lee Whitehurst said.

"Right now he's suffering and we haven't been able to get with him," Whitehurst said.

Wren, 48, received 15 stitches on the back of his head and suffered a minor concussion Feb. 3 after he fell out of a fire truck traveling 25 mph on Health Park Way in Lakewood Ranch. They were traveling to answer a false alarm at Braden River Middle School.

Wren experienced additional swelling in his head and neck Tuesday, and he is not expected at work for at least another week, Whitehurst said.

Whitehurst said Wren's pain may be enough.

"He's paying for it as we speak," Whitehurst said. "A lot of us realize any slight circumstance could have made this a lot worse."
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Was this an open cab, or an enclosed cab?

Thread Information