Thread: Duct Tape

Forum Member

Default Duct Tape

OK I admit I haven't been following US news as closly as I usually do lately, but, What the hell is with the duct tape thing?

Forum Member

Where have you been for the last week. Some moron in Washington decided to tell people that sealing themselves in a room with Duct Tape and plastic should be part of their own personal defense in case of a terrorism attack. So every sucker and moron raided the hardware stores and home depot buying all the duct tape and plastic on the shelves. It was like a grocery store before a blizzard or hurricane.

What these idiots and the people in failed to concider was:

1. Sealing your home or even a single room with plastic and duct tape is close to impossible.

2. Even if you DO manage to hermeticaly seal yourself inside, you will suffocate and die. (minor technicallity)

3. You will die of hypothermia since you couldn't run the heat. It is winter up here in the Northeast.

4. By the time there is an attack and you are done wrapping your home in Duct Tape, you will have been exposed to whatever it was and die anyway. Just slower now instead.

5. Plastic & Duct tape are not barriers against many agents that could be used anyway so once again, you will still be exposed and die.

6. If they use a nuclear device, EVEN DUCT TAPE will not stop the blast from leveling your neighborhood or the heat from melting your skin off your bones. Yes, you guessed it... you still die.

So, that is what the Duct Tape craze was. Tom Ridge finally made an annoucement on how stupid the whole thing was and that the Code Orange was probably due "mostly" to a hoax. I found the whole situation very amusing to say the least.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

I think they should have hired "Red Green" as the spokesperson if they were really serious about the uses of duct tape.

MembersZone Subscriber

Another example of "Natural selection" at it's best.
    "Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant"

Permanently Removed

What the hell, i have wrapped my whole house in syran wrap, and now they say "oh well, false alarm, back down to a medium alert now" i bet you it was a prac. joke. G.w. bush is prolly like "ha ha., they fell for it, look at the dumb asses, thinking plastic ans tape would save them ha ha ha,"
    lol
    Last edited by Kvfcjr; 02-20-2003 at 12:21 AM.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Lightbulb kvfcjr...

Okay, let's say that in English, and try again.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

I completely agree with everything that nmfire said above. The only thing i can think of why we were told to duct tape our homes is just a psychological thing. If we are all "sealed up" we are probably meant to believe that we are really safe from anything that might happen, which is clearly not true. If anything, I would guess that it is a mental thing more than an actual type of protection.

Just like covering your head would help you any in a Radiological/Nuclear attack. Oooo lemme cover my head so the radiation doesn't see me!

Forum Member

Along with wrapping the house in Saran rap, you should also apply a layer of Aluminum Foil. That should help shield the radiation...
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

don't forget the foil hat so aliens can't read your mind.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Safety Blanket

Like a small child who thinks their Binky will save them from anything that comes at them, the plastic wrap is along the same lines. People panicking is messy; it's all psychological.
    Isiah 43: When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    9-11-01. We Will Never Forget You.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

Smile Duct tape & plastic very useful

Duct tape and plastic can be very useful in an emergency. When the wind (hurricane, tornado, etc.) blows the windows out of your house but the house still stands you can make temporary windows very quickly. Chemical attack, never. Temporary fix for a leak or to hold the thing on the wall, always. Even works on worts.

Also, all that bottled water will be useless in a few years. Most of us have about 40 gallons always ready in our hot water heater.

Keep some food on hand so the FD doesn't have to use snowmobiles to get you some in a blizzard but don't start taping windows.

Stay safe and THINK.

Pete
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber

My binky will not save me from anything?
    B Holmes

Forum Member

Originally posted by bkholmes
    My binky will not save me from anything?
    to bkholmes:
    Um, don't be silly. Binky will save you.

to others:
    Ix-nay on the inky-Bay. khomes-bay doesn't ow-knay!

As for safety, I put a giant condom over my entire house.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

Maybe this is G.W.'s plan to get the economy back on track. Every time they need people to spend money they tell them something new will protect them Quite genius when you think about it

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Wink HHHHMMMMMMMMMM

Let me see here.... we we've had "Generation Baby Boomer", "Generation X", working on "Generation Y"; the Sixties saw personal bomb shelters.

I am beginning to think that maybe this year will be known as "Generation Duct Tape"????? You be the judge.

In all seriousness though, I feel that the reason for all these attempts to hermetically seal a home are mostly nervous reactions to something that has not ever really happened on this Continent:

the possibility of "invasion".

It doesn't necessarily have to be an attack by an invading army moving in by air, land and sea, but the invasion could be in the form of a "cloud" passing over New York City, or Vancouver....

Who controls the clouds? And if you could talk to the clouds, would they "Listen"?
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Just found this Adobe Acrobat document link on the net it is a study of how well duct tape and plastic will work for this sort of situation:
    http://emc.ornl.gov/EMC/PDF/TM_2001_...ct_plastic.pdf
    Why do I *always* have to be the calm one?
    Note to self: first spell check then post.

Thread Information