Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Dispatch Centre Design Question!

Hello,

Our EMS service is looking for innovative ideas from all dispatch agencies… We are attempting to re-design of the way we perform dispatch operations to improve our efficiency and decrease our response times.

We are looking for descriptions of dispatch centres designs other then the typical call-taker/dispatcher format.

We are particularly interested in finding out if anyone else has divided tasks in non-traditional ways.

Background:

We are EMS provider serving a population of approximately 3 million. We receive 247,000 requests for service, respond to 187,000 incidents and have 140,000 transports each year. At peak periods we staff 90 ambulances. We operate a mixed fleet with 60% ALS and 40% BLS. We also have 18 rapid response vehicles staffed by a single paramedic at peak periods.

The Communications Centre consists of multiple call-takers and 4 dispatchers each responsible for a quarter of the city’s geographic area. We also staff two hospital destination co-ordinators (HDC) who are responsible for ‘finding a hospital’ for a crew when they are ready to transport. The HDC also must stay in contact with our 16 hospitals to keep up-to-date on their bypass status and attempt to distribute patients appropriately.

Dispatch Re-Design:

We are looking for innovative ways to redesign the Communication’s Centre. With our current volume of calls we are taking too much time to dispatch calls and are not covering our priority posts adequately. We could simply divide the city up into more geographic areas and add more dispatchers, however we want to look at all possible design scenarios.

One possible design would have call-takers, a deployment person to ensure coverage of priority posts, several dispatchers to alert units of calls, and several ‘call followers’ to handle all on communications with crews after the initial dispatch.

ANY ideas or information on existing systems with a non-traditional design would be appreciated. Comments from any dispatch agency are welcome as EMS, Fire and Police may all have ideas that we can apply.

Thanks for your help in advance! Please e-mail replies to me directly at dlyons@toronto.ca .

Dave Lyons, ACP, EMD
    Senior EMS Planner
    Toronto EMS
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada

(416) 392-0900

dlyons@toronto.ca

I know at your Dispatch center (Southwest CMED) there are three consoles. Southwest dispatches for three towns as well as coordinates all ambulances in Fairfield County.

When there are 3 dispatchers on, one dispatcher will take all 911s for the three towns and dispatch the respective departments/services. The other two dispatchers will split the region in two.

When there are 2 dispatchers on, one will handle the 911s and only a few more towns. The other dispatchers takes all the other ones.

All of the three consoles are identical, so no matter at which one you are at, you could access all the 9lines, frequencies, and CAD/paging.

As a physical layout, it kind of looks like an I. Look at the I and that is the way the consoles are set up. The two outer ones face into the middle one.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by sems322
    I know at your Dispatch center (Southwest CMED) there are three consoles.
    Maybe I am losing it, but when did Southwest C-Med start covering Canada? Geez, I thought our end was busy with South Central.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

I'm sorry, I'm sorry...So shoot me. I added a Y when I meant to say OUR..

Ahhhh. I see said the blind man.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Thread Information