Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast
    Forum Member

Default Nightclub Fire/MCI, West Warwick RI

The Station nightclub in West Warwick RI is fully involved at this time, with as many as 50 burn victims are being triaged and transported. The statewide Fire and Mass Casualty Incident plans are in effect.

There was a band playing at the time of the incident, early reports indicate possible problems with a pyrotechnics display. As many as 300 people may have been in the 30x60 one story wood frame structure.

Forum Member

Over 150 people were transported from the scene by municipal and private ambulances from RI and MA. Multiple fatalities have been confirmed. Some victims are reported to have been transported by bystanders. 5 helicopters are either in the state already or en route to begin flying burn victims to Boston and Connecticut. A local news photographer inside the club reported that pyrotechnic sparkers ignited eggcrate material lining the wall behind the band.
    Last edited by CollegeBuff; 02-21-2003 at 02:02 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

25 Dead in Nightclub Fire

(West Warwick, Rhode Island) -- Officials have confirmed at least 25 deaths in a massive fire that engulfed a West Warwick nightclub.

West Warwick Town Manager Wolfgang Bauer says that number could go ever higher. West Warwick Fire Captain Russell McGillivray says many of the bodies were found near the front door of The Station nightclub.

About 164 people have been injured with first, second and third degree burns, lacerations and smoke inhalation. They were taken to area hospitals.

Kent County Memorial Hospital received about 52 and Rhode Island has receieved 60 victims. Sixteen of them are in critical condition and three are being transfered to regional burn centers.

Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston will be treating at least four victims. The Shriners Burn Center in Boston is also expecting to receive victims.

The fire apparently started as part of a pyrotechnics display during a concert at the club performed by the group Great White. Police say the fire fully engulfed the one-story building.

McGillivray says this is a tragedy like Warwick has never seen.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I can't believe its happened again. My sympathies are with the friends and families of the victims. I pray there are no more fatalities. This has to be a wake up call for club owners everywhere!!

Rhode Island Nightclub Inferno Kills 26

By AMY FORLITI
    .c The Associated Press

WEST WARWICK, R.I. (AP) - A Rhode Island nightclub erupted into flames during a pyrotechnics display at a rock concert, killing at least 26 people and injuring more than 150 as mobs of concertgoers frantically rushed to escape the raging fire.

At least 26 were confirmed dead, and the number was climbing rapidly as firefighters sifted through the rubble, West Warwick Town Manager Wolfgang Bauer said Friday morning.

``I think it will take a good amount of time before the building can be thoroughly searched and a definite number can be estimated,'' Bauer said, adding that as many as five or 10 more people could be added to the death toll.

The blaze broke out at about 11 p.m. during the first song of a Great White concert at The Station in West Warwick, about 15 miles southwest of Providence. A fireworks display that was part of the show apparently ignited a substance in the ceiling, and flames quickly engulfed the club.

Little was left of the one-story building just hours later.

``The place went up within a matter of two minutes,'' witness John Kudryk said.

Fire Capt. Russell McGillivray said many of the victims were found in the front door area after apparently becoming trapped trying to escape the fast-spreading flames.

More than 160 people were taken to area hospitals including Rhode Island Hospital in Providence and Kent County Memorial Hospital in nearby Warwick, said Bauer.

Firefighters worked into the morning Friday to pull charred bodies from the building as onlookers watched - worried about missing friends.

``They were completely burned. They had pieces of flesh falling off them,'' said Michelle Craine of West Warwick, who was waiting to hear about a friend who was missing. ``It was the worst thing I've ever seen.''

Paul Vanner, the club's sound technician and stage manager, said one person from the band was missing. It was not immediately known how many people attended the concert, however, one witness told The Providence Journal that about 300 people had been inside.

Chaos erupted moments after the fire started. Witnesses said dozens of people dashed toward the door, and some of those who escaped were later seen staggering into a triage center. Rescuers carried dozens of people on stretchers.

Hundreds of firefighters and police from across the region and dozens of ambulances were on the scene. Rescuers were pulling badly injured victims from the fire as ladder trucks poured water over the flaming skeleton of the building.

``It was calm at first, everyone thought it was part of the act,'' said John DiMeo, who was sitting at the bar near the front door when the fire started. ``It happened so fast.''

Jack Russell, the lead singer of Great White, told WJAR-TV he checked with the club's manager before the show and the band's use of pyrotechnics was approved. He said he felt the heat of the flames while on stage.

``This place went up like the Fourth of July,'' he said.

At a news conference, Bauer said an investigation was under way to see if the club had a license for fireworks.

``Something went off with a lot of heat and caused some material, whatever was on the ceiling or in the vicinity, to go off,'' he said. ``And I assume there was smoke, dense smoke somebody told me, and fire.''

Rhode Island Gov. Don Carcieri, who was in Stuart, Fla., to attend a governors' conference, said he planned to return to the state Friday morning.

``Our hearts go out to all of them. Our hearts and prayers to all of the families that have been impacted by this. ... There's no words to describe,'' Carcieri said. ``This is a terrible tragedy. It should not have occurred. Why it occurred is one of the questions that needs to be answered.''

Great White is a heavy metal band whose hits include ``Once Bitten, Twice Shy'' and ``Rock Me.'' The band emerged in the Los Angeles metal scene of the late 1980s, selling 6 million albums and earning a Grammy nomination in 1990.

They continued to tour and make albums in recent years, maintaining a strong allegiance of fans from their glory days of the 1980s.

The fire comes four days after 21 people were killed and more than 50 injured during a stampede in a Chicago nightclub that began when a security guard used pepper spray to break up a fight.

On the Net:

West Warwick: http://www.westwarwickri.org/

Great White: http://www.mistabone.com/index.shtml

02/21/03 06:39 EST
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Unhappy

WFD FIRE CHIEF IN INTERVIEW WITH "THE TODAY SHOW" HAS NOW CONFIRMED 39 FATALITIES. MORE EXPECTED... Very sad...

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry Sprinklers

When will American fire officials and government leaders wake up and realize the value of sprinklers? Scottsdale, AZ has required sprinklers in all new construction for over ten years and has seen a significant decrease in fire deaths. It CAN be done. Sprinklers are affordable, dependable, simple technology that have been proven to work. How much is one life worth? How about thirty-nine?

For those that have not seen it yet... there is some very horrifying video on CNN from a news crew that was present doing a clip on night club safety. They have the fire starting, the people rushing out and people stacked at least 6 high at the door trying to get out... all with black smoke billowing out. God it made my stomach turn...

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber downtownlt's Avatar

just heard report of 54 deaths

MembersZone Subscriber CFD Hazards's Avatar

Even if this was in AZ it wouldn't have required sprinklers, it is at least twenty years old. My thoughts and prayers go out to all involved. There was a cameraman from a local news channel at the concert and it is incredible to see the fire start and then become fully involved less than 5 minutes later. Many people thought that it was part of the show. Chief Hall reported that the brothers from West Warwick were able to pull at least 100 people from the building. The members of the West Warwick FD are among the best firefighters in the state. They do a lot with very little manpower. My best friend was second due there last night and I pray that he is able to get the images that he described to me out of his head. An incident like this can haunt responders for the rest of their lives. It is a very tragic day here in RI.

It is not hard to figure out what happend. This incident has somevery chilling video footage. What a horrible way to die.

If that video doesn't wake up the public...nothing will. Again we hear the same stories...no one could believe "it could happen here" or "they thought it was part of the show"...or "there should have been something done" about the flammable foam. When will people learn to be pro-active rather than reactive. I am filled with sooo much sadness and soooooo much anger at the same time. SPRINKLERS...SPRINKLERS...SPRI NKLERS!!!

God be with the victims and their families and also with the Brothers and Sisters who now have a grim task in front of them.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Forum Member

I heard about that on the radio this morning about 6:30....they said that the death toll was 39 and could climb even higher as firefighters search for bodies. Some of the imjured were severly burned, some to the face and airway, and that the burns were life-threatening.

My heart goes out to the family and friends of the victims, as well as the injured.
    All of the above comments are solely mine and not those of anyone else.

Nobody is ugly after 2 A.M.

Some see the glass as half-empty, some see it as half-full, I just wonder who in the H#$* is drinking my beer!!

Originally posted by StayBack500FT
    If that video doesn't wake up the public...nothing will. Again we hear the same stories...no one could believe "it could happen here" or "they thought it was part of the show"...or "there should have been something done" about the flammable foam. When will people learn to be pro-active rather than reactive. I am filled with sooo much sadness and soooooo much anger at the same time. SPRINKLERS...SPRINKLERS...SPRI NKLERS!!!

God be with the victims and their families and also with the Brothers and Sisters who now have a grim task in front of them.
    Good points, Stayback, but I swear I don't think even this will do anything, because what 60-year-old white businessman legislator gives a rat's axe about these clubs? It won't ever hit home with people like that except in the unlikely and unfortunate event that their kid was in there.

If you had a bunch of club lizards in Congress & state houses, maybe something would happen.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Does anyone have a link to the video coverage?

CNN.com has the video link. It was down a few minutes ago. This may be to high traffic. They are showing it regularly on CNN, MNSBC and probably Fox News as well.

www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Default Sprinklers... :(

why do all the building codes neglect sprinklers?
    I know, its not in the code, but, why would any Architect with any sense neglect them. The cost cant be that much when your putting in a new building...i was shocked to learn here that when they built a new high school, it didnt have any sprinklers either...when i got my degree in design, i understood if you didnt have an exit within 75 feet (walking distance) from you...you needed sprinklers...then you were allowed 150 feet...the codes on them are so stupid...any public building should have to have them and its sad that it takes things like this for the code-makers to realize it.

God Bless everyone who had to perish in this fire due to the ignorance of our government

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

is it just me or does there seem to be a rather large number of multiple fatality incidents this month.

Chicago- 21 dead (stampede at club)
    Waco- 7 dead (bus accident)
    Rhode Island - 54 dead (fire at club)

This is to just name a few that on on top of my mind.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

Unfortunately you can't view it on CNN unless you are a subscriber. If anyone can find it anywhere else, please let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber mtnfireguy's Avatar

Default Re: Sprinklers... :(

Originally posted by DDVFD12
    I know, its not in the code, but, why would any Architect with any sense neglect them. The cost cant be that much when your putting in a new building...
    The same dam reason we don't or can't get sprinkler systems installed in new fire stations.... to expensive, not necessary, blah, blah, blah....

Look at the college dorm issue... after the tragedy a few years ago a brave legislator in our state proposed installing sprinkers in all college dorms... I don't have to tell you how that came out. The cronies promptly killed it because of $$$ and the fact we have never had a problem in our state, God forbid we learn from others.

OK... off the soapbox
    Buckle Up, Slow Down, Arrive Alive
    "Everybody Goes Home"

IACOJ 2003

MembersZone Subscriber

Unhappy Sprinklers/Inspections

While it is true that this building was built before sprinklers were required, we still fall far short of requiring sprinklers in enough structures. Many structure are allowed to be built without sprinklers if they have fire alarms or better exits or this or that. Only sprinklers, however, can actually PUT OUT the fire.

I heard the chief say that the club had just passed an inspection. Why then was the flammable wall covering (prohibited by code since the Happyland Supper Club fire) not ordered removed? I saw above that the department is small and resource-limited, but we have to be vigilant when performing inspections, especially in assemblies.

Thread Information