Default healthcare provider

I just passed my Healthcare Provider, from i think The American Heart Association, when it was offered at the station. I am 16 years old and wondered if this is about as high as i can get in the medical feild being a minor and in highschool? Thanks for any help.

Forum Member

Parrot,
    Congrats on the Healthcare Provider! I do not know how it works in Ohio, but here in CT if you are between the ages of 16-18 you can take the State MRT or EMT test. The National Registry does not allow you to take the NREMT until you are 18 yrs. old. Your best bet is to go to your local Fire Dept. and talk to the EMS Captain, ask if he knows, if not ask if there is an in house EMS instructor or if he/she can refer you to one. They should know the answer. As for any Firefighter certifications, in CT and most likely Ohio also, you have to be 18. Although the CT Fire Academy does offer a junior course, does not certify you to go on the fire ground, obviously for saftey reasons, but it gets you acclamated to the fire service. Good luck, you can probably find more info online, try searching for Ohio Fire Academy and what not. Take it easy, and Stay Safe...Jay

Thanks for the info. I'm an Explorer down town and was just looking for more ways to get involved. I'll talk to my advisors some more to see if they know anything about it, but they haven't really said much. Thanks again, i have been very thankfull for the great information i have be provided with on this site.

Thread Information