MembersZone Subscriber

Default Radio Codes Also

I was reading the thread abou radio codes... I was wondering how many of the departments that replyed use some sort of Mobile Data Terminal in your trucks. Our parish uses 10 codes but our department in particular is trying to make the way with plain engilsh.. But one big thing about going to a call is we have MDT's... normal single engine responses can be done with out any radio traffic... now fire calls we acknologe on the radio so every one knows whats going on... but I find that plain text is alot better than 10 codes for one fact.. Every one has a different meaning for the code are uses it wrong.. with plain english, that person must speak what they mean.... then refining comes with training and discipline....

Lenny Cunningham

Forum Member

I would love to get MDT's setup in our units. You don't need a high-speed super-duper-pot-smoking-dell-dude computer to run simple messaging and GPS mapping. A few things I want out of it:

1. Pre-Plan information
    2. HazMat software
    3. GPS Tracking on a map screen.
    4. Messaging between units

Connecting it all to dispatch would be the major project. Simple messaging between units, GPS, and pre-plan/HazMat requires no connection to disatch.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

i check out a couple of these programs at the firehouse expo in baltimore and brought back the info and my dept. is currently looking at how to implement these in the trucks,our police vehicles alreadey have them. the ones i saw in baltimore showed hydrants,what size mains they were on a long with preplans for the buildings in your town that would also display photos that were taken in your preplan and loaded into the program also believe it had the capability to id haz mat by placard number. really hope we get ours rolling quickly

Forum Member

That what I was thinking. Have all the actuall pre-plan and HazMat data stored locally on the laptop. That just cuts the cost down exponetially. Punch in the address and up pops the pre-plan info and a map that tracks you location via GPS.

MembersZone Subscriber

Okay let me elaborate a little more... I'm with two depts... My career dept we have a the awesome set up... Pre-Plan, AVL(Auto Vehicle Locator), and Call information with Hydrants.... My volunteer dept.. We have just the basic MDT... You get call info.. cross street, caller info, and call info what ever 911 puts down... But my point was... once they dispatch us.. You have enrout, arrscn, insrv, and back in quarters all on the MDT... when you go insrv a place to type any extra info that needs to be recorded... You get your times at the end and report number... Like I said it makes a single engine respone have no radio traffic what so ever... unless you need something extra... So all parish (county) "sorry from Louisiana" radio traffic would be elimanted "IF EVERY ONE WOULD USE THEM CORRECTLY"

MembersZone Subscriber

NMFIRE
    I see one problem with storing it locally... You would have to constantly update everyones and every units computer... If you have them accessed through a server. Every one in your response area would have access and you would only have to update one computer.. Plus the system that runs the CAD could also be utilized by local law enforcement. Plus the AVL screen would also show other units... and call location...

Forum Member

The system I have been thinking has 2 versions.

One is only a unit-to-unit. It would show other units positions if I wanted it to as Packet Data APRS of Ham Radio fame can do that. A little APRS/GPS combo unit hooked up to the radio's aux port would be very inexpensive and very fuctional. Heck, the APRS mapping software is out there for free.

The other would be a Kenwood FleetSync system and a terminal at dispatch as well. That would be a MUCH more significant system and would allow a lot more than just the location tracking and messaging. It would also cost an arm and a leg.

I'd love to have a little bird dump a few hundred thousand into my Radio Budget. For a dept that only gets 300-400 calls a year, we would be very well equiped

Thread Information