Thread: Roof Collapse

Forum Member

Default Roof Collapse

Roof Collapses On Md. Store, Crews Search For Victims
    Store Busy With Customers During Collapse

POSTED: 12:24 p.m. EST February 22, 2003
    UPDATED: 1:06 p.m. EST February 22, 2003

HYATTSVILLE, Md. -- Officials are looking for people who may be trapped inside a Toys 'R' Us store in Prince George's County, Md., where a roof has collapsed under heavy rain.

Prince George's County fire department spokesman Mark Brady says it's not clear how many people were trapped after the roof caved in around 11:45 a.m. Saturday, but that the store was busy at the time.

"There is a strong possiblity that we have customers that were shopping in this store at the time of the collapse that were not able to escape," he said.

About 90 percent of the roof has collapsed on the store, excluding the area near the store's entrance and cash registers, Brady said.

All 15 store employees have been accounted for, including three who were transported to local hospitals with injuries that were not life-threatening.

The store is located on Annapolis and Riverdale roads in a suburban area outside Washington, D.C.

A storm swept through the area less than a week ago, dumping more than a foot of snow. It has also been raining heavily since Friday.

Brady says that put a "tremendous amount of stress" on the store's flat roof.

Will post more once I get more information.
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

yeah i was watching tv and saw that. i know a lot of firefighters on verious dept's in PG county so i hope that the all stay safe and be smart.
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

MembersZone Subscriber

SOMEDAY the people who write the building codes will ask us our opinion. Until then, these things will continue to happen.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up We're Done!! ... AND, NO VICTIMS.....

At 8:00PM tonight (Monday 2/24) The last search team from PGFD's Collapse team - Technical Rescue Services - Finished at the toy store job. Starting with the initial alarm about 11:30AM Saturday, Area VFDs and the PGFD units put in a lot of hours securing the building and then searching thru everything at least twice. Being in a community where a lot of residents walk to stores, the usual method of checking on cars in the lot to determine if there were possibly anyone missing, was not a valid option. With this in mind, a secondary search was done in a painstaking manner, however at 8PM the word was "We're done, nothing found". Someone mentioned "CJ" in a post above - Baltimore County, where Chris operates, had some collapses themselves, and he was busy up there, as far as we know. This one was enough, but we had others in PG also. DC Metro area units were running collapse reports from Monday 2/17 on, and as of tonight at about 9PM they were still getting them. We are now looking forward to more snow in the middle of this week. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

SOMEDAY the people who write the building codes will ask us our opinion
    Might be me, but if you asked me how much snow and rain a roof should be able to hold, I would not have the slightest clue. As for it's fire safety, that's another story.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Thread Information