Thread: Fundraising

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fundraising

I joined up on our fundraising committee this year

I am looking for some good fundraising ideas

Something that will bring in some good chunks of change

MembersZone Subscriber

Our departments has tried numerous fundraising events over the years. These events include adult dances, kids dances, turkey and roast beef suppers, etc. Of course to put on these kind of events you need the facilities to accomidate them. Fortunatly our department has a rental hall that can accomidtate up to 200 people. The kids dances are the easiest if you have your own stereo equipment, ours our usually for kids aged 9 - 13, or grades 3 - 6. we charge $3.00 per kid and usually get up to 120 kids at a dance. Easy money for a 2 hr dance that we hold once a month.
    We're also trying something new this year, a dinner theatre. Our firefighters and auxiliary members are the actors in it. We charged $15/person or $25/couple and have sold out 2 shows already. this takes a little more time to prepare as you have to get a script written and then practice it. For the meal we're just serving an appitizer salad, amin course is either ham or turkey, and a dessert. This was very easy money for us, and good entertainment for the community.
    Hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't use the female mud-wrestling idea. That one was already tried and failed.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Permanently Removed

Spagetti dinners, pancake breakfast's, car washes, car shows

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Calendars

I got a pretty good idea while attending the Iowa Winter Fire School.

It is through the Gordon Bernard Company. You go out and sell ads for a fire safety calendar. I think there are 30 or so ads that surround the calendar and a department picture. Departments sell the ads for somewhere around $100.00. Other departments sell different sized ads for different prices. Some departments then either give or sell the calendars($1 or $2) and make anywhere from $2000 on up. The calendars actually start in October so you can give them out during fire prevention week. Every day on the calendar has a safety tip on.

Their website is http://gordonbernard.com

Todd

Forum Member

At a department I was once a member of we started a yearly golf tournament. We sold sponsorships for each hole (signs about the size of real estate signs were posted at various holes with the businesses name on them) at fifty dollars each, and major sponsorship of the event was five hundred dollars and they got large signs posted at the tee-off areas of each hole. Each team of four members paid two hundred dollars (fifty per person) to play. The first year we did it, we had eighteen teams of four eager to hit the course! They didn't think twice about dropping money all day, either. We sold "Mulligans" (whatever that is...I'm no golfer) and drinks. The course dontated a cart that we drove around each hole, selling drinks to the golfers. The bottled water went REALLY well...much better than the sodas. Several businesses donated door prizes and one donated a bunch of handtowels, golf tees, spike cleaners and balls (with their company logo on them) that we used to make a "grab bag" for all the players that entered. It took us a while (about three months) to get it together, but we cleared over six thousand the first year. We accepted donations throughout the event. We bought some special insurance and had a dealer put up a new car that whoever hit a hole in one would receive. Trust me; a lot of guys LOVE golf and they don't think anything about dropping one or two hundred dollars a day to play in some tournament with their buddies. The whole thing was set up as a "hare scramble", with teams starting at the same time on different tees. We had trophies made for the top three teams and the longest drive received fifty dollars. Several businesses donated door prizes, including the golf course we used. We held it on a Friday. The course is not as busy then, so it was cheaper to rent. The guys who played were mosty retired, self-employed, or well-to-do, so that they just took a three day weekend. No big deal to them. Once you get the tournament established, it becomes easier to set up each year. Just have it the same month every year, or do it twice a year; once in the Spring, and once in the Fall.

I got appointed to be the fundraising committee chairman this year, though I am stuck between a rock and a hard place, my department needs to raise money (not for like equipment and apparatus because we are owned by the town) but more for the membership and our lounge and back hall and stuff like that) But that is my major problem, since we are municipally owned, I cannot do things like cointosses and solicit donations. I can do things like spaghetti dinners and car washes, and that's what I expected to do, but the membership complains that they had one back a thousand years ago and they barely broke even and dont want to do it anymore, so I got that against me too, any other ideas, or ideas to motivate the membership to do these things that could raise money but there "wah I dont want to"? Thanks.

Thread Information