MembersZone Subscriber

Default Haz Mat Foam Application

Does anyone know a good resource for information on foam as it applies to use in haz mat incidents?
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Post a few ideas

You can get info from the company of the product, or go by in haz the most use for foam is to isolate fumes or put out hydrocarbon fires which both are likely to require ar foam

MembersZone Subscriber

Duffman, did you locate a resource? I am interested in the same information.

I am not a fireman, but I know that there are many practical applications for foam to suppress vapors at hazmat and fuel spills and that foam can increases the "safely margins" that we are always seeking to have at any incident. However, I suspect, not all the time, that foam is overused, not applied correctly, or applied in situations that it is not really warranted.

I was involved in recent incident where so much foam was used on a JP5 Jet Fuel spill that the foam filled up the vac trucks and we could not vac up in a timely manner the several thousand gallons of spilled fuel.

As a side bar: Do you think that the foam in this photo is being applied correctly?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

I wouldn't want to judge the use of foam in the photo. A split second snapshot does not provide enough background on the incident to comment. As for the over use of foam, I think sometimes that happens. A "better safe than sorry" attitude is developed on some incidents. That is not necessarily a bad thing. I think sometimes we forget about the logistics of cleanup when we are mitigating the incident.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Thread Information