I received an original question about which DeWalt charger to mount in a response vehicle. I've included the original question and two replies from a DeWalt representative.

Original Question:
We are considering the 110 volt charger coupled to an inverter for in
vehicle use as you suggested in a forum post awhile back. I have been
attempting to get an answer from DeWalt as to whether the inverter will work or not (most inverters put out a modified sine wave, and some 110volt equipment won't function correctly without a true AC sine wave).

The first DeWalt Reply:
DeWalt recommends the DW9116 charger as it charges 7.2 to 18 volt batteries. This is an AC unit, so you will have to use a converter which should not be a problem. I wouldn't use the vehicle charger as it has an automatic shut off on it so it won't drain a car or truck battery if left sitting overnight plugged in.

Then, another reply from DeWalt gave even more details on setting up the charger in a vehicle.

There is no way to bypass the "shut off" feature on the vehicle chargers. They were originally designed for job site usage and therefore have this feature built in to protect the end user / contractor's car battery.

You can go either way here.
1. When you start your rig the charger will re-set.
2. Go to converters

Our chargers have built in circuit boards that monitor the battery so there really is no way to damage the battery. The (3) stages are:
1. Fast charge (happens in 40-60 min.)
2. Maintenance Mode: Keeps the batteries charged without damaging the cells for extended periods of time.
3. Tune up Mode: Tops off all cells when the battery is left on overnight (9+ hours) in order to increase run time.

Please call me with any questions,
Thank you.
Jason Brodbeck, DeWALT Accessories
214-219-8887