MembersZone Subscriber

Default Swing that 6 lb pickhead like you have a pear!

Now that I've got your attention(I know how we all love to correct peoples spelling ) tell me all the uses you have for the old, ever ready and always willing 6 pound Fireman's axe. There is so much knowledge spread out on these forums, I'm afraid I might miss some really useful "trick" of the trade if I don't ask. Be Safe...

Forum Member

Talking

1. Forcible entry
    2. Peeling up a corner of a car hood
    3. Too many to list!!

Basically, to fold, spindle and mutilate!!
    Last edited by 1835Wayne; 08-28-2003 at 05:02 PM.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

MembersZone Subscriber

Wayne, I really dig the graphic. That actually looks like a good use for the tool in prompting my "kids" to pull a tool off the truck on calls!!!

if ur desprite u can use it to breech a wall

Forum Member

Use the pick to poke a hole in the hood of a car fire and jam the CAFS nozzle in there.

Use the pick into the roof and make a step for venting (be careful if the edge is sharp though) and it's right there should the saw fail.

Use the pick and rip a pad lock right off the door

Use the pick to gently open small smoke holes in sheet rock to check for extension (where you are trying to minimize damage)

That said, most of these jobs can be done better with more secialized tools. I like to carry the irons, or just a halligen bar for most of the above jobs.

Forum Member

My first question is ... what are you doing w/ a 6 lb. axe instead of an 8 lb. ...

Secondly ... what does owning a piece of fruit have to do w/ swinging an axe?

Stay Safe
    Last edited by PAVolunteer; 02-27-2003 at 09:14 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

... what are you doing w/ a 6 lb. axe instead of an 8 lb. ...
    Amen brother. Must be an engine guy. A truckie wouldn't be caught dead with anything but an 8-pounder!
    IAFF Local 2665
    "Leather Forever"
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

MembersZone Subscriber
    Hopefully, a parallel universe where my location doesn't keep getting deleated.

Smile Jump!

Use it to anchor your bail-out line into the wall before you dive out that window!

Y'all stay safe now, ya' hear?

FTM PTB EGH KTF RFB DTRT

thanks drkblram, It only took me 5 times(as i hold up 2 fingers) to pass the 1st grade

New York/New Mexico a 5,000 mile commuter

"IF" your carrying one of these relics.....and you happen to be on a Ice-Covered roof and begin sliding, rap the pike into the roof!

PS-Be real quick, it's a long way down!
    "All gave some......Some gave all!"
    Lest we forget.........9/11/01
    "Former Senior Member"
    RESCUEDAWG----FDNYRR

MembersZone Subscriber

Come on guys... Didn't you catch my play on pear vs pair??? I see so much turmoil on here regarding spelling and grammatical errors I just couldn't resist. Anyway, I'm a very weak and delicate rescue guy ya know, I just simply can't handle the 8 lb. axe. Actually, I just purchased one of those high speed axe sheath/belt combo's and it only holds a 6 pounder I wanted peoples ideas and varied applications for using a pick head axe so I could impress those that think I'm crazy for carrying one on my belt. I've seen a lot of depts in California using this system and it looks like a very good way to carry a tool yet keep your hands free till you need it. Be Safe...

MembersZone Subscriber

Like mentioned before, dump the 6lb and get an 8lb. The two lbs doesn't make much a difference when swinging it but when it hits you will notice a difference.
    Try this for a test. get a phone pole and start swinging with the 6lb, rest and start swinging with the 8 and see how much more you can do with the 2lbs. If you still don't think 2lbs make a difference. Eat 6lbs of ice cream, if your not dead yet eat 2 more lbs.

The 8lb axe is a much better tool

The axe is one of the jobs oldest tools on the job and while it works OK many other tools do more. I like an 8lb maul myself with a good halligan.

Forum Member

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD
    get a phone pole and start swinging with the 6lb, rest and start swinging with the 8 and see how much more you can do with the 2lbs.
    WHAT? ARE YOU CRAZY????

I'm guessing the phone company wouldn't be too happy about that!!!

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

That actually looks like a good use for the tool in prompting my "kids" to pull a tool off the truck on calls!!!
    Anyway, I'm a very weak and delicate rescue guy ya know, I just simply can't handle the 8 lb. axe. Actually, I just purchased one of those high speed axe sheath/belt combo's and it only holds a 6 pounder I wanted peoples ideas and varied applications for using a pick head axe so I could impress those that think I'm crazy for carrying one on my belt.
    I'm sorry bro, but I gotta do, ya left yourself open on this one. Please tell me you're an enlisted rescue guy. I'm assuming if you have "kids" you must be a crew chief maybe a SSGT or TSGT?? don't worry about impressing anyone I know too many AF "rescue guys" that thought their stuff didn't stink just to get themselves into trouble. By the way, are you still riding an old P-10 or have ya moved up there?

Hope I didn't offend ya, you AF rescue guys are just too funny, glad I got out when I did.

Take Care
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ============================== =====

MembersZone Subscriber

No offense taken at all COFire. Yeah, I'm an old enlisted guy. But perhaps I should've cleared something up regarding the "kids" comment. If you were prior AF, you know that we switch positions on trucks as the station captain see's fit. If you ride rescue today, you could be on an engine or ARFF vehicle tomorrow. Only because I'm also a paramedic, I typically get "stuck" on our rescue truck, which is in fact a P10 - we're scheduled for delivery of a new P28 next month. You're comment regarding "impressing someone" or guys thinking "their stuff doesn't stink" holds true in any employment I've found. I'm a part timer at Charleston County EMS, and of course there are "know it all's" there, there are some at the base, and there are some at my volunteer dept also. I by no means have attempted to imply that I consider myself a "know it all" - quite the contrary. Which leads me to the reason for this post in the first place, I was looking for any good uses for the pickhead axes that we currently aren't employing. You didn't give me any, I guess it was just chop busting day for ya, but again - no offense taken. After 18 years in this line of work, you get a pretty thick skin.

MembersZone Subscriber

PAVolunteer, your utility company won't give you old poles? Having the guys chop away on a phone pole, lying on the ground, is a good way to build the strength needed to use the axe. It also helps the guys hit the same spot twice when you are working at a job.

Any tool needs practice to be good at using it. If you have a 6lb axe, learn how to use it. Pallets are also good to use for practice. When the time comes to purchase new tools make sure you get an 8lb axe.

Forum Member

And remember,we knock but once.T.C.

Forum Member

Originally posted by ADSNWFLD
    PAVolunteer, your utility company won't give you old poles? Having the guys chop away on a phone pole, lying on the ground, is a good way to build the strength needed to use the axe.
    I know what you meant ... it was a joke ... meaning that the telephone pole was currently in use.

Stay Safe

Thread Information