Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Stainless Steel Option

We're looking at a new Pierce Dash pumper and would like to know if others have comments on aluminum vs stainless steel body construction?

Joe Gilbert
    2nd Dep. Chief
    Henniker, NH Fire/Rescue

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Stainless Steel is heavier, more expensive, and sounds much cooler when you write up you truck descriptions in your public relations materials, but aluminum works just fine. I've had lots of experience with Pierce rigs, from new up to 20 years old. They all have/had aluminum bodies and they've all held up just fine (with proper care & maintenance, of course).

In my personal opinion, stainless steel bodies are simply a waste of money...but they're a great marketing gimmick to an industry (the fire service) that just loves cool bells & whistles. We can thank ALF for starting this latest, rather silly, trend.

Forum Member

If you're looking at Pierce, give the Quantum a long hard look. We've had one in service a yr now and love it. The engine cover sits lower in the cab I believe. It is a tall truck thou.
    The auto fold down steps are a neat toy also. We haven't had any problems yet and we'll buy more.
    The front end design is a little different.
    Last edited by ctxffman; 02-26-2003 at 03:35 PM.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I was just at the Pierce plant last weekend doing the pre-construction signoff on a Dash Heavy Rescue and a Lance pumper. I've driven a Quantum and they do turn on a dime because of the body being mounted higher. I believe that with the advent of TAK4 all of the chassis with that option have a 45 degree cramp angle. The Lance 27" extension cab and the Quantum are actually very close in price. The Dash is less than both but still offers the TAK4, and the Command Zone. I got to play with a Command Zone while we were up there and it is very nice. No more idiot lights. No more electrical problems with the multi-plex wiring either.

Contact your rep and arrange a tour. We went through both plants and saw the progression from a flat piece of metal through the final stripe. Their operation is top notch for any type of manufacturing. The people are beyond friendly and answered every question I had. There wasn't a person working there that minded us interrupting them to ask a question or to play with something on the truck. Visiting and seeing what other people have already done is the best way to figure out what's best for your truck. You may see something you wanted to do and realize it's not the best. Or that it's the best thing since rubber tires. They have tons of pictures of trucks that you can look at for ideas. That's how we worked out the bumper on the rescue. They haven't done it before, but there was enough similar that I could show them what we wanted done. Which by the way is: 26" extended bumper, 50' hydraulic reel mounted officer's side, 2/3's width surface mounted box to cover a combie tool connected to the reel, and a drop down bumper face for access to the 100' 1-3/4" preconnect inside the bumper. And then a removeable plate under the combie mounting for unrestricted access to repack the hose. If you go to their site and look at the Boonsboro, MD Rescue bumper, that's the type of box I mean.

If you want some pictures let me know and I'll email them over.

Brian

Forum Member

While at the plant, did you happen to see any Quantum 105' Platforms?
    I read somewhere they were building that now. Was 75 or 85 previously.
    We are buying a ladder next. our 89 Sutphen is tired. REAL TIRED

So BC79er, r u in Richmond? close to my home town, head down 59 30 minutes. Tell David C. "WFD" hi for me.

But back to subject at hand, grab your dealer and have him bring his books, etc. and go over the differences on stainless and aluminum. Cost, weight, etc.
    2nd. if u can, look at roll-up doors, don't paint them.
    Do the ladder thru the tank, prefer top mount pump panel and talk about foam. That should be the first thing you request. Depending on chassies and weight, go with at least 400 horse engine.

These things all cost money, but your dealer, if he is good at his job and cares he'll work with you.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

10-4 on the salutation ctxffman. Trucks will be in sometime in June of you want to wander up and take a look. I didn't see any 105' Quantum platforms. Actually all I saw in Quantums were pumpers and rescues. I thought I've seen pictures of 105' Quantum straight sticks, but maybe not. Can't remember for sure. The brochures don't say. That would make for a really tall truck though.

Spec CAFS, speedlays (including a 2-1/2") and definitely roll-up doors. The thru the tank ladder setup is nice, we've got that coming on the new pumper. No ladder racks to screw with or block compartments. The best advice I can give is figure out what you'll need the truck to do, where it's going to respond to (for length and weight issues), and what equipment you want to carry. Slide out vertical toolboards are sweet for mounting hand tools. With pumpers I'd go bigger than a 400HP. The only reason to go Dash vs Enforcer is access to the bigger motors and the Command Zone. Pumpers need that extra torque, especially if you're going with a 750 gallon or more water tank, PTO generator, 1500gpm pump or higher, CAFS. Plus add in the hose and equipment and you've got a lot more weight than you think. We're going 500HP Detroit in the Lance Pumper and 475HP Detroit in the Rescue. Might seem like overkill in the rescue because there's less overall weight (still have 250tank and 250gpm PTO pump), but for a 20 year truck you don't want to get 8 years down the road and it doesn't have the marbles to get up and go.

If you can't get to the plant, visit the local rep as they get trucks in for delivery. Or visit other trucks in the area. We went all over the area looking at trucks before we finished the spec on ours. A picture us worth a thousand words when trying to build trucks. Good luck.

Brian

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Thumbs up Pierce!

I get to do a lot of work with our local Pierce dealer, plus I ride Pierce's at work (Quantums) and volunteer station (Enforcer with TAK4 suspension). In fact, I got to drive one of our demo Enforcer's with TAK4 about 100 miles to a conference last week, and the thing rode better than my wife's Honda (no lie!).

I love driving my Quantum, but realize that it's suited for our district at work (urban/residential). It's got a 470HP Detroit with 750 gallons of water, so it'll scoot down the road. However, the Enforcer we have at the volly station features a 370HP Cummins (largest motor available in the Enforcer at that time, you can now get a 400HP). For everyday driving, I'd choose the Enforcer with TAK4 over the Quantum. They both have their merits (more interior space and visibility in the Quantum, plus the kids love to watch the steps flip up and down), but the Enforcer is a tough rig. Heck, even Detroit and Boston have started purchasing them!

Roll-ups? YES! Painted? Your choice. My Quantum is 3 years old with 52,000 miles, and no problems with paint fade or chips on the painted roll-up doors. A the volunteer station, we have a IH/Pierce Encore heavy rescue (the yellow and white one featured in the current Pierce "Rescue" brochure). It has the un-painted roll-ups, and I think it looks horrible (and yes, I was on the committee for it, so I only have myself to blame).

Take a look at the new Husky-10 foam system that Pierce has introduced. It's a very easy-to-use, compact foam system, and it's a great alternative foam system for departments that don't want to major bucks into a regular Husky system. (Only draws 6 amps, too!)

Top-mount pumps are great if you're willing (or able to) add 24" to the overall wheelbase of your apparatus.

As for the Quantum 105' platform, I don't believe that this is being offered yet, due to the overall height of the unit. Currently, 85' is the largest aerial available on the Quantum. The 105' would require an extra fly section on the aerial, which adds 4" to the overall height of the apparatus when the aerial is bedded.

Finally, getting back on topic, alumimum should do everything you need it to. We've got four Pierce tower ladders and 12 Quantums (four more on order) at work, all of them aluminum bodied, with no problems yet!

Let us know if you want any other opinions, sure don't seem to be a lack of them on here!

While we're talking horsepower here do you realize to change a Detroit 60 from 425 to 550 is basically just a software modification?A 400 HP anybody's engine will drive any of the big three's pumps with no problem whatsoever.Hell we're driving a 1500 Hale with a 350 and it dpesn't even break a sweat.T.C.

Forum Member

Originally posted by BC79er
    I was just at the Pierce plant last weekend...We went through both plants and saw the progression from a flat piece of metal through the final stripe. Their operation is top notch for any type of manufacturing. The people are beyond friendly and answered every question I had. There wasn't a person working there that minded us interrupting them to ask a question or to play with something on the truck.
    I was also at Pierce's plant in Appleton (one year ago next weekend, in fact) doing an acceptance inspection. All of this is true. It's a fine operation that turns out fine apparatus.

Thread Information