Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Should A Rookie Play Along If They Know A Prank Is Coming?

Should a rookie that knows a lot of the pranks (I've read tons of them here), should you play along and act like you didn't know it was coming? Or, should you reveal you know what's going on to avoid it? I'm hoping to get on a new dept. this summer and if I do, I'm just wondering what I should do (if they are big on pranks there). I'm kinda thinking that ruining their joke that it will entice something even worse.

My 2 cents...play along,and smile.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Just play along and smile, because if you don't, next time they will come back with a vengence.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Default See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil .....

Now why do I have visions of monkeys dancing in my head .....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Hopefully, a parallel universe where my location doesn't keep getting deleated.

Cool Top Secret!

Oh,they didn't tell you? The really good pranks are kept classified, thus never written down or spoken aloud except by the special planning committee.

Just roll with it baby!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

I just interviewed with a department and got this question:

"You are a probationary firefighter and find that you are receiving a lot of practical jokes. What do you do?"

I basically said:

1. Practical jokes and the fire service go hand in hand.
    2. Rookies are going to receive more practical jokes.
    3. Laugh at yourself and don't take it personally.

Ironic that it is coming up here too.

Default 2 cents...

I would say that a rookie should NOT get
    involed these jokes or horse play.

You are on probation and under the
    microscope. You could come across as
    a clown during probation vs. a hard
    worker, etc.

Work hard and look good during probation.
    You got the rest of your career afterwards
    to be a jokester or part of a joke.

Get more good advise at www.eatstress.com
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 02-28-2003 at 12:49 PM.

Bou, I don't think he's planning on playing any, I think he was just looking for advise on whether or not he should play along and not spoil their jokes. I don't think there is much he can do about people playing them on him. At least he knows they may come and to at least expect them, so as not to be a poor sport (unless they can harm him or prevent him from doing his job appropriately).

My opinion is to just play along with them. If they think they got you with a couple, then they will probably lay off........

If you don't play along, and you spoil the prank, they are just going to find another one to do - one that is worse. If you know that one, and spoil that one, then it gets worse ... and so on. Before you know it, you think you've shown them, etc., and then they spring one on you that is 10 times worse than the first one.

You might just want to play along.

Stay Safe

I'd play along, provided the prank does not:

1. Pose risk of injury
    2. Pose risk of expense to FD or member
    3. Cause downtime for company or member
    4. Involve sexual, racial, ethnic, or religious harassment
    5. Cause personal humiliation (not embarrassment; farting at church is embarrassing. I'm talking humiliation)

After all, these pranksters need to know what you're made of. They want to know you've got enough spine to take their lives in your hands.

Provided it's all in good fun and adheres to Brian's Rules of Firehouse Pranking (as stated above), I say enjoy the laughs right with 'em. There will come a day when you'll be doing the pranking.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

When I got on the F.D. I was assigned to a crew that had a reputation of being tough on the FNGs until they proved there salt. I'm a second generation fireman so there wasn't much that I haven't already known being perpetrated by my father (I think he is a founding member of the ball-breaking commettee). I jot on the job in a different town so they weren't really sure of my upbringing. I mentally noted all of the practical jokers during my "indoctrination" and systematically evened the score(after my probation was up...REPEAT... after my probation was up) I think I got more respect after that. But you have to know the limits, and what ever you do don't get on the bad side of the vets they can make your career a living hell...Good luck if/when you get on
    Last edited by Rippin73; 02-27-2003 at 05:23 PM.
    I.A.C.O.J.

SOME ARE FIREMEN
    OTHERS ARE JUST ON
    THE FIRE DEPARTMENT

Play along and have fun. I am starting to see a new breed of rookie coming up through the ranks..The cry baby. I remember not too long ago when the jokes were fast and furious. Now its "I am getting picked on wah wah"

i would play along, cause if you dont then its going to be harsher the next time when you dont find out about it.
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

MembersZone Subscriber

Dont play along. You will earn a little bit more respect but you better be ready to handle a prank that is 10 times as harsh. Show 'em what your made of-it will pay off in the long run.

Forum Member

personally i was an interm at a fire department for a few months and we always joked back and forth with the guys

practical jokes happen remember them and get them back later

and personally i prefer the guy that can joke around now but when we get a call becomes dead serious or else you yourself might end up dead or hurt

i had a captain like that and i prefered working under him to any other person at the department

Originally posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    Play along and have fun. I am starting to see a new breed of rookie coming up through the ranks..The cry baby. I remember not too long ago when the jokes were fast and furious. Now its "I am getting picked on wah wah"
    You noticed that too!.......
    IACOJ Membership 2002
    {15}

Mike IAFF

The beatings will continue until the morale improves

Default Think twice!

Trust me, I am all for fun and jokes. But if
    youre a rookie, best be square and just stay
    out of it.

Remember that article we saw in Firehouse.com
    a while ago? Some joke in Colorado and I think
    scaring people with needles or something? Well,
    people were displined and even terminated if I
    remember. Do you want to get caught up in that
    can o' worms?

Again, have fun, joke around OFF PROBATION!
    You got 25+ years to be part or know about a
    joke. Make your first year clean as possible.
    After all, you didnt work this hard to get all
    this way just to get dinged now in your career.
    Did you?
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-01-2003 at 03:40 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the responses.

CALFFBOU,
    I wasn't planning on participating in any way. Just wondering if I should play along when/if the pranks happen (to me, Not with my help).

Playing a harmless prank is all part of the firehouse culture. More often than not you will have no idea it is coming, so I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes you can turn the prank around on the perpetrator of said prank...just sit back and say nothing..... it will make them wonder who got them

If they prank you and you laugh, they will accept you.
    If they prank you and you whine, it only gets worse!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

If your on probation, you may as well assume that you will be on the recieving end. If you want to get back at someone, wait until you are done with probation.

Here's some things I figured out while on probation:

Shortsheet your own bed in the morning. Now you know it's shortsheeted, and won't be surprised when you crawl into bed later.

Keep a penlight handy. When you're in the stall, in the process of "taking the cleveland browns to the superbowl" (If you catch my meaning), chances are someone will find you. Expect to have emtpy cardboard boxes, stuffed animals meant for the kids, and whatever else is handy to be dumped on top of you. Next comes blasts from the co2 extinguisher. And finally, expect the lights to be tuned off as they leave the bathroom. You will find a penlight to be invaluble in this situation.

Another use for the penlight is the "ceiling check". Before you go to sleep, aim your penlight at the ceiling, and look for things like fake spiders hanging from strings (to be dropped on you while you sleep), or oxygen tubing sticking out of a cieling tile. This tubing will douse you with water while you sleep, so move it while no one is looking. I managed to find one of these tubes while I was alone in the dorm one night, and followed to a large syringe full of water next to another firefighters bed. So I took the liberty of re-routing the tubing back over his own bed. Of course, he figured it out, and I was dealt with accordingly.

Remember: It's all in fun. Don't take part, and let an officer know if anything dangerous or potentially damaging to the department's image takes place. If you get genuinely upset, or whine, expect it to increase threefold.

Thread Information