Thread: Parades

Forum Member

Default Parades

I know most of your departments probally go to parades, but do you and do you like them?
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

These opinions are mine and mine only nobody eles.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

yes we attend every parade that we can go to. yea i like them the only bad ones are the ones for christmas in the cold and the ones in the summer way too hot. other than that they are great.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

The only parades we enter are our Christmas parade and the summer Firemen's parade in the village next to us. So Eone, you wouldn't like either one, lol. Chief doesn't like taking trucks out of service for things that they don't need to be taken out of service for.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Yep, we go to them. My first one was the best one I've ever been too. We marched down Main to the town green, about 2 miles. It was cool because as we were marching past the town green, there was a mom and her daughter watching. The mom kneeled down next to her daughter and pointed at me. She said "Look sweety, there's a girl firefighter. You can be a firefighter if you want to too." It was kinda touching and made me realize how much the fire service has changed in the past thiry years or so. Parades are fun, but when we have the christmas parade, it's inevitable that when we get to the start point and at least twice on the parade route, the christmas lights on the truck will go out or the generator will run out of gas .

yo wfd its not that i dont like them its that i dont like sweatin my @$$ off or freezing my b@ll$ off.sarfreak so u r a girl now i know.

Forum Member

Eone, you mean you actually have to get out of the air conditioned/heated fire truck during the parade?
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Forever in our hearts

Eone- an observant one you are, young jedi. Don't let it fool you, I am in no way an "average girl".

haha yes wfd we have to get out and march. and sarfreak thanx but i remember back when army john had his thread goin u wouldnt tell me whether u were a girl or guy not that it matters.

Forum Member

haha yes wfd we have to get out and march.
    I'm sorry!

But on a more serious note, I've heard people talking about marching in FD parades before, but I've never seen it, nobody does it around here. Do you just march from beginning to end like an army or do you do something else while you're doing it, and what uniform do you have to wear?

Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

we have to march in some parades too eone so I know what your talking about. Most of the parades we go to we just stay in the truck but some we do march.

Eone I didn't know she was a girl either.
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

Forum Member

Default And by the way...

Congrats on the 100th post SAR!

Forever in our hearts

yea we march from the beginning to end. we wear our class A's and if you dont have that then u wear ur class b. all we do is march and smile and wave.yo robby the funny thing is that when i asked her if she was a guy or girl she gave me hell.

Forum Member

Yeah thats what we do when we march which is only like 2 parades a year. Eone some girls are like that but what can ya do (no offence SAR)
    Rob
    FireFighter/EMT/VRT
    Engine Co 3
    Westmoreland City

i like being in parades. i think its something that all fire dept should do
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

Forum Member

please tell me you weren't the girl they hauled off for public um, "exhibition."
    WHY DO I ALWAYS MISS THE GOOD STUFF?!?!

Wait a sec... BAD RAGING HORMONES! Go to your room! But I still would have liked to been there...
    Last edited by WFDjr1; 02-28-2003 at 12:24 AM.

Forever in our hearts

Sorry to burst youe bubble guys, but no, that wasn't me. Heck, I wasn't even there...

Whenever we go to parades, we march in our bunker gear (augh... stuff's awfull to march in...). Can't stay in step to save our lives, but we usually have fun on the parade route. We march in front of the truck, and sometimes we'll run ahead so we have some time to interact with the people watching. There were a couple kids last year who had toy fire helmets, so a bunch of us "traded" with them and let the kids who were nearby put our helmets on and we put on their toy helmets (Great picture opportunity... the biggest guy in our dept in his bunker gear with this little red plastic helmet on his head )

Forum Member

Message Deleted.
    Last edited by Irons6789; 02-19-2008 at 11:45 PM.

Forum Member

Other than that and the rain, it was a good event
    Now now... She was just trying to get her wet clothes off so she didn't get pneumonia...

Marching in bunker gear, sounds like fun, especially in 90+ weather! I'd rather wear a polyester Class A.

Forever in our hearts

MembersZone Subscriber

We parade alot. I think its sometimes more fun to stay up half the night before getting the truck ready than it is actually at the parade. When we go to a parade we usually take our 1997 Frieghtliner/E-one and our 1956 Ward LaFrance. The undercarrages get powerwashed, the tools all get repainted, the diamond plate gets polished, the pump gets scrubbed, and everything gets waxed at least once. I've never been in a parade that our Ward didn't bring home a trophy. Though not a front line piece, its still technicnally in service with almost all of the original parts. The E-one frequently brings home 1st and 2nd prizes. It helps that we have two guys in our company who judge (not our trucks, they always let someone else do it) but we know what they're looking for. We also pride ourselves on being not just the prettiest, but every tool on that truck will start on the first pull. We don't march because its maybe 4 or 5 of us who go, but we're still hard core paraders.
    Rob
    Captain
    Logan Township Fire Dept.
    Gloucester County, NJ

Standard Disclaimer: These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my department.

Default Parades

Everytime we are in a parade we are always dispatched to go somewhere so its hell trying to get out of the parade to go the emergency LOL

Thread Information