Thread: Australian LODD

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Australian LODD

We've been fighting a massive wildfire down here for 7 weeks that has burnt out 5 million acres across two states, and to our relief some rain finally arrived last weekend - and then this happens

Woman firey killed in flash flood
    February 27, 2003

A SEARCH team has found the body of a female firefighter whose vehicle was swept off a bridge by floodwaters in north-eastern Victoria.
    The woman was one of a crew of three in the Department of Sustainability and Environment (DSE) four-wheel drive when it was carried off by a flash flood in the Alpine National Park about 6.25pm yesterday.
    Her two colleagues survived.
    The unit was helping suppress hot spots remaining from huge bushfires that have blackened 1.11 million hectares of park and forest when the area was hit by violent thunderstorms.
    Police senior-constable Allan Briggs said it was believed the woman was found by DSE staff who had continued to search through the night.
    He said a police search and rescue team was expected to reach the body about 8am (AEDT) today.
    "It's very rugged terrain, really quite inaccessible, so they will drive as far as they can and then walk in on foot."
    Police say the woman's unit was caught by a flood surge while on a bridge near Beveridges Station, adjoining the national park.
    The three managed to get out and climb on top of the vehicle, but were then washed off.
    Searchers found the vehicle buried in mud.
    The Air Ambulance airlifted the two rescued survivors, who had multiple fractures, to the La Trobe Valley Hospital.
    AAP

Rest in peace Sister
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

My thoughts and prayers are with her families and friends.

Rest In Peace
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber
    Hopefully, a parallel universe where my location doesn't keep getting deleated.

Unhappy With Love & Prayers....

My love & prayers go out to you, to our fallen sister, and to her extended family that continues on against the fires.

Lay me down beside cool waters,
    And lay to rest my body sore.
    Send the word out to my brothers,
    The fire is down, let it burn no more.
    - Charlie Ball -
    "Fireman's Prayer"

God Bless

IACOJ BOD

Sister.

We will remember.

Kia Kaha
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

FIGJAM

This is the first fire fighter fatality in this fire, which is testament to the skills involved. It was quite ironic that they were involved in such a massive fire (As StillPSFB mentioned) and were taken so quickly and cruelly this way...

My thoughts are with the family.
    Luke

Forum Member

Very sad news, I understand that this is the fourth Wildland LODD of this Australian fire season, with other LODD's in the states of New South Wales and Western Australia. Rest in Peace and rememberance for all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Can't imagine having to fight a fire for such a long time over a long area & have everything come to a tragic end like that...

My thoughts & prayers go out to her family & her colleagues. God Bless!
    Last edited by Firelover; 02-28-2003 at 09:11 PM.
    Joel

Lets never forget the events of 9-11

If you sent us to HELL, WE'D PUT IT OUT!!

**And of course these are only my opinion and only mine. Don't take it out on anyone else but me.**

Thread Information