Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Some Good News In The New Today

Canadian man who rescued woman from house fire one of 19 Carnegie Heroes Canadian Press

Thursday, February 27, 2003

PITTSBURGH (CP) - A Canadian man who rescued a woman from a house fire was one of 19 people recognized Thursday by the Carnegie Hero Fund Commission.

Dennis Rogers, 37, of Fonthill, Ont., rescued Brenda Gregory, 38, from her burning house in Welland, Ont., on Feb. 18, 2002.

Industrialist Andrew Carnegie started the hero fund in 1904 after being inspired by rescue stories from a mine disaster that killed 181 people.

Awards are given only to those the commission feels risked their life to an extraordinary degree in attempting to save the life of another in the United States or Canada. On-duty emergency workers and police are not honoured unless their actions are clearly beyond the call of duty.

The awards, bronze medals that come with $3,500 US for the honorees or their survivors, are issued five times a year.

Thursday's awards bring to 8,685 the number of people honoured since the fund's creation. More than $26.3 million has been given in one-time grants, scholarship aid, death benefits and continuing assistance.

Also honoured was a former shipping-and-receiving clerk from St. Louis, Mo., who saved a police officer from an attacker was one of 19 people recognized

Jeffrey Mumford, 37, watched from a loading dock as a police cruiser pulled up to a man sitting near a bridge about 15 metres away, but initially thought nothing of it. A few minutes later, he said, he heard a woman scream and looked around to see the man on top of the female officer.

"The guy had her on the ground, beating her up, trying to get her gun," said Mumford, who ran over and jumped on the man, freeing Agatha Santangelo.

"She was pretty dazed. He was banging her head on the ground," Mumford said. Once freed, Santangelo called for backup and the arriving officers thanked him.

Santangelo said Mumford probably saved her life.

"It was just a reaction. I heard a woman scream. That's what made me react," Mumford said. "I just dove right in. I really don't like to see men beat on women, so it was just like a natural reaction."

Mumford said he received other awards for his actions that on April 16, 2002, and doesn't know who nominated him for the Carnegie Heroes award.

He said the attention hasn't changed him or brought him glory. In fact, he was laid off in May and is unemployed.

"I feel that I did what anybody would do in that situation," Mumford said. "I don't look at myself as a hero. I reacted to a person in need. But everybody keeps saying I was a hero."

Also honoured was Larry Hicks, of Troy, Ala., who saved NASCAR team owner Jack Roush, of Northville, Mich., from drowning after Roush's plane crashed into a small lake in Troy on April 19, 2002.

Hicks boated out to the wreck, dove twice into the 2Ĺ-metre-deep water to retrieve Roush and then performed CPR on him.

Roush suffered a serious head injury, a shattered left leg and broken ribs. Hicks sustained chemical burns and was also hospitalized. The two men have since developed a friendship.

Two of the 19 people honoured Thursday died during their rescue attempts.

Socorro Zamorano, 60, of Mesa, Ariz., died trying to save her seven-month-old granddaughter Jacqueline Flores from a burning mobile home on Dec. 19, 2001. Flores also died in the fire.

Christopher McGalliard, 25, of Sylacauga, Ala., drowned attempting to save Sarah Hale, 13, after she fell from her personal watercraft in Cropwell, Ala., on April 21, 2002. Hale survived.

On the Net: Carnegie Hero Fund Commission: carnegiehero.org

© Copyright 2003 The Canadian Press
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Hopefully, a parallel universe where my location doesn't keep getting deleated.

Smile Thanks, I needed that...

Thanks Malahat, I needed that today.
    Actually, could use a little of that every day.
    Nice way to remind us that it's there if we look for it.

Y'all be safe now, ya' hear?

Thread Information