Thread: Anoka County

Forum Member

Default Anoka County

Just wondering how many of you live in the area (specifically around Fridley / Columbia Heights). I currently live in British Columbia, Canada, but there is a possibility that I may be making "the big move" and will call Columbia Heights my new home sometime in the future.

I had a chance to visit both department's, Fridley and Columbia Heights, on my last trip out. I did spend more time at Fridley than Columbia Heights (they where out on calls each time I stopped by). While my girlfriend lives in Columnia Heights, that would make that department the leading choice. However, the Chief of Fridley said I would be more than welcomed in his department. However, one of my concerns is that my g/f's father, and both brothers, are Fridley Firefighters (her father being a Fire Marshal as well), but that is another thing that I throwing around in my head.

Anyway, the main reason I was posting was to see if anyone knew of where I could get some better information on either/both departments, and or, other departments in the area. Both of their websites offer very little information as to apparatus types, membership #s, call volume, etc, etc, etc. Or if you had any comments, or had worked with, either department. Also, I will have to look into getting my canadian certs changed over to state standards (if it is possible), so I was wondering what organization(s) are responsible for fire service/EMS training and certification. I know Anoka Hennipen Technical College (AHTC) is one of them (my g/f has starting teaching there part time), but I from what I hear there are others.

Thanks for all the help.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm a Canadian from Ontario, and I live in Hopkins, MN. This is one of the western suburbs of the Twin Cities. I'm taking fire protection courses at the Hopkins campus of Hennepin Technical College. HTC trains most of the departments around hear, including the Minneapolis and St. Paul recruits. The web site for HTC is www.htc.mnscu.edu. Check under service careers, fire protection.

If you want to meet fire fighters from around Anoka, a great time to come visit would be the last weekend in April, as this year's MN State Fire School for the metro area is being put on by AHTC in Anoka. The web site is http://www.ank.tec.mn.us/Fire%20Doc/index.html. There is probably something about it in the events calendar on this web site too.

As for certification, you want to talk to the Minnesota State Fire Certification Board. Check http://www.mnfirecert.org/ for info and contacts. The FF I & II tests are per NFPA 1001.

Good luck with your move, wherever you end up.

Thread Information