Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Equipment

Question Equipment

You arrive on scene, smoke showing, the lads are packing up. You are the OIC, you have two ready to go, they grab the nozzle and head for the door. STOP!!!!!!!!!!!! What did they forget??? What would you want your people to have going into the building. This is a equipment question, not a 2in 2 out, RIT or anything else, what should those first two going in have on them???
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

How are they going to get in?

Is anyone going to search? Does anyone have a TIC?

With what are they going to pull a ceiling (if necessary)?

How are they gonna vent?

Does everyone have a radio?

Stay Safe

Default More specific

Okay, i'll try it again, they are going in to fight the fire, period.
    What equipment should those two firefighters have with them? I knew this would be hard for me to explain. Give me your answers.. If you were going in, what do you carry on your person? What does your Dept,SOPs etc require you to have when you enter.Don't read into the question...
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

Originally posted by PAVolunteer
    How are they going to get in?
    THE DOOR IS OPEN

Is anyone going to search?
    NO SEARCH, EVERYBODY IS OUT.

Does anyone have a TIC?
    NO, WE CAN'T AFFORD ONE.

With what are they going to pull a ceiling (if necessary)?
    NOT NECESSARY

How are they gonna vent?
    ALL THE WINDOWS ARE OPEN AND THE SKYLIGHT IS ALSO....

Does everyone have a radio?
    BINGO!!!!!!!!!!! ARE YOU REQUIRED TO CARRY ONE IF YOU ARE INSIDE A STRUCTURE??? IF NOT REQUIRED, DO YOU ANYWAY?

WHAT OTHER PIECES OF EQUIPMENT DO YOU CARRY?????????

Stay Safe
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

MembersZone Subscriber

I've been having this discussion with one of the satation captians here. "Of course it would be nice if everyone had radios", he says. I think it should be a priority. I bought my own. Wouldn't go in a house without one.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Kinda hard for everyone to buy one themselves considering we're on an 800Mhz trunked system. the $2500 a pop plus programming is a little steep for most. I think every team should have one. If you're never supposed to leave your wingman, then everyone is always within reach of a radio. But then again I'm spoiled because as an Officer I'm assigned a personal one.

Anywho, back to the question.

The door's open. So what. The guy without the nozzle should still have something with him. My tool of choice is a sledgehammer. 10lbs. Heavy enough to do damage, light enough I can take out a normal 8-9 foot ceiling if need be. If no sledge, the next most versatile tool in the arsenal is the haligan. Pry, pull, bring a beat down. It can do it all. Flashlights for both guys. Thermal Imager added only if credible report of entrapment, otherwise leave it for the search team. Aggressive ventilation such as pulling high ceilings and roof openings is not going to be done by this crew. If they're the first in, then their job is obvious rescues, entrapment, and if none then find the seat of the fire and put it out. Ventilation, secondary search, and all of the other tasks are for the other crews coming in. Not the first in hose team. Goes hand in hand with that bucket assignment thread.

Stay safe, and pull a big enough line for the fire volume.

Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

TLFD40, Seems you were focussing on radios in this forum (by the way, a current topic of discussion in the general firefighting forum), but even in the event of an apparently open door to a structure, a halligan or kelly or similar door busting tool should always be carried. Reason?, well how do you know if there might a locked internal door?, if you might have to bust into wall cavity to find the seat of a fire?. if you might have bust another deadlocked external door to get the hell out of there fast?. It's a little embarrassing to have to leave a hoseline and run outside to the pumper to grab a tool- I know, I've done it myself.

At least a halligen and an axe...or whatever tool the firefighter feels more comfortable useing.
    "Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant"

Default Okay

I guess i was leaning towards teams having a portable. I raised this question the other day at one of our calls. All the officers (9 in all) have portables and there are two high band and one low band in every truck. You would think that after you put on the pack you would take a extra second to grab a radio. But no one seams to think this is important because there is always an officer around with one. That is fine if one of the officers is a pack guy. Do your depts require at least one person on a team to have a radio when entering a structure? As far as other equipment: haligans, pike poles, flashlights, etc......... are essentials also.
    BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
    ASST CHIEF
    TLVFD, NY

MembersZone Subscriber

Down here, we have a portable radio attached to one out of every two BA sets. The THEORY is that the backup FF takes the set with the radio, as it is much easier for them to use the radio than the FF on the nozzle. All sets are supposed to have a Pelican SuperSaberlite attached to them by a clip. Normally that is about all that they take though, as both firefighters like to keep their hands as free as possible to either operate the nozzle or drag hose. Personally if I'm doing backup I like to take the Halligan as well, but this isn't always possible because some Einstein decided that the Halligan should be stowed on the opposite side of the truck to the BA sets and when the fan is getting pelted with brown stuff sometimes there isn't time to do laps of the truck to get things. If I'm doing a search without a hoseline I like to grab a small extinguisher to take with us, but the Einstein put them on the wrong side of the truck as well I once had to dump the extinguisher on the fire AND then use it to bash an exit hole through an interior wall when things went pear shaped.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

WSFDEXPLR
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would take a set of irons in with me or a sledgehammer.

MembersZone Subscriber

Besides the nozzle I take in a radio (radio pocket on coat), A survivor rechargeable flashlight (attached to coat), a halligan (for sounding floors,opening doors,walls,taking glass, SELF RESCUE,etc.), in my bunkers I carry, 40' personal rope w/beener,folding spanner,Wire cutters in case i get entangled in cable wires etc., A knife. On my helmet I carry 2 wedges for keeping doors open, wedging a sprinkler head etc.( they are held in place by a strip of rubber innertube). I make sure my partner takes a tool w/him/her also. Usually a short sledge or axe and the TIC. We have a hand held but we rigged a strap so it's hands free until you need it. We discuss who's going to grab what at the beginning of the shift. Sounds like alot, but if you store it properly on you it's not to bad. I've used all of the items at one time or another. Another thing that some of the guys are doing are carrying metal dog tags (ID tags). I hate to sound morbid but their thought process is if something bad happens it will help with the ID process.

Default Tools

We carry radios(everyone issed one).

Me what I carry on initial is:radios w/mic and man down button,
    irons, nozzle,Streamlight Syclone flashlight on helmet, Pelican
    Sabre Light on truckie belt, folding spanner, trauma shears,
    Cold Steel ERT knife, 12ft 1 1/2 loop webbing, 16ft of Butt saving
    rope w/ 2 binners, 1 Accountability tag inside coat pocket,
    1 St. Florian medal attached to pocket(never hurts), 2 Wedge-Its
    on truckie belt.

thats about it.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

Originally posted by BC79er
    Thermal Imager added only if credible report of entrapment, otherwise leave it for the search team.
    Why leave it outside? The TI can help you navigate the structure faster and safer. It can help identify victims you may not know about, as well as holes in the floor. It could even help you identify pre-flashover conditions. On top of all that, the TI can help you find the fire faster, apply your water more effectively and put the fire out faster.

A TI should be with the attack team AND the search team (AND the RIT team).

Cool Tools

ok, when i get off the truck (and i mean the TRUCK, not an engine),
    first things i grab are a pack, a radio and a flashlight. it's obvious what the pack is for, the radio so i kno what the hell is going on and where i have to be, the flashlight so i can see where thehell i am going. then depending on where my oic wants me, or who my partner is, i take either a set of irons, or a can and a hook. this is the way it's done on long island in my department.

B.Z.
    NHPFD
    LINY
    Remember 9-11-01
    FDNY, NYPD, PAPD, NYPH
    Keith Fairben, FPFD LT, Paramedic NYPH, most of all, friend. You will not be forgotten brother.

"Firemen are going to be killed right along. They know it, every man of them, firefighting is a hazardous occupation; it is dangerous on the face of it, tackling a burning building. The risks are plain. Consequently, when a man becomes a fireman, his act of bravery has already been accomplished."
    -- New York Fire Department Chief Edward F. Croker. 1908

Ativan
    Firehouse.com Guest

What is a TIC. I have never heard of one.

Forum Member

Ativan, TIC = Thermal Imaging Camera

Thread Information