Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question how do I get answers

I would just like to start off by saying that this is my first thread. I am currently a canidate for the Los Angeles City Fire Department. My question is how do I get answers on my status? I took the written in December 2000 and have taken my oral and received a score of 100. I was given my background packet and two different questionares. About two months ago I called to just check on my status and verify my new address. The person I spoke to told me that I should wait and re-take the test and start all over again. Two days ago I get a notice to take my PAT next Sunday. What is going on down there is what I want to ask them when I call but I get no help or answers. I just get very rude responses. I understand that they get calls all day long from applicants, but to treat me like an idiot just because I would like to know where my life is going is not right I think.

Sorry for the really long post, I guess I am just frustrated. Any help would be great.

Thanks

Forum Member

Default Typical

This is typical for LA City and many other large departments. They act like their doing you a favor just to take your phone call. You may never get the right answer. Just go take the PAT. Be gracious and humble. Candidates are completing their medical and psych right now who were on the 2000 testing. Don't drop the ball now. Keep at it.

I talked to one our of candidates yesterday who just completed his medical with LA City with no problems. I told him Son, start packing, you're going to be an LA City firefighter. This could happen to you too!

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Thanks for the reply. Believe me I have been nothing short of gracious and patient. It is just that out of 4 people that I talked to all 4 gave me conflicting or oposite information regarding my status. One said you are doing well, another said I dont know, another said your in group 3 so your better off re testing because most of the time they throw out the list and give another test. My question is why is there a band 3 if they never hire off of it? When I left my oral interview I was handed two supplement questionares regarding on overview of my background. Then I was handed a huge packed about 2" thick which was the background worksheet that wanted to know "everything" about me. After that two weeks later I received one more questionare , then another about two months ago. I take those as positive signs because it says to me that things are still moving for me.

Let me say that in no way am I against "weeding" out applicants for lack of a better word. I am willing to do what ever and wait as long as it takes to get the badge. I just wish they would fix the system so that it was consistant.

One more question I promise... I have heard that my status as an eligible canidate is valid for one year unless I or personnel update it. Is that true? Personnel has no idea what I am talking about.
    Last edited by fireguyY2k; 02-28-2003 at 07:53 PM.

Forum Member

Default More Opportunity

Word on the street is that due to budget problems the next LA City tet that was scheduled for this summmer has been postponed until 2004. That will mean they will continue to hire off the old list.

"Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Thread Information