MembersZone Subscriber

Default Which Flashlight?

First post, so apologies if this is in the wrong section - please feel free to move it to the correct one.

I am in the market for a new flashlight and wanted to get people's ideas as to which one I should get. My preference now is the Streamlight Survivor, but I'd appreciate the benefit of other people's experience of it, or alternatives, before I shell out the money. Thanks.

SFDny15
    Firehouse.com Guest

I would recommend either the survivor for a small light or the Streamlight Vulcan.

BTW, there are tons of topics on flashlights on this forum, try using the search feature.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would say anything from Streamlight works great. They are very durable, bright as heck, and most are waterproof.

Here is a great site for all kinds of flashlights and stuff for cheap:

www.brightguy.com

MembersZone Subscriber

We have survivor rechargeables on all our apparatus. They are very durable and are very bright. They work better than any other light I have used in a smoky atmosphere. Replacement batteries are fairly expensive. Bulbs run around $7.50 ea. I just ordered some today. By far the best handlight we have used at our Dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

The Streamlight Stingers are good, very bright. But they are kinda spendy and small so they could get lost easier.
    "Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant"

Forum Member

Default For a different spin on this topic....What about flashlights for helmets??

My vollie dept just bought 35 mini flashlight holders for all of the helmets. So far everyone is using mini-maglights. Would any of you prefer a different light or just stick with the min-mags??

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I personally prefer Pelican lights. They work on good old "C" batteries and are damn near indestructible. If anything does happen, Pelican warranties their lights for life. I've had a couple fixed no questions asked. Their beam seems to pierce smoke pretty well.

Forum Member

I'll go with pyroknight on this one, both my career and vollie depts use Pelican Super Sabrelights, I've found them as good as any other light and the durability is a big plus.

Forum Member

I personally use a Koehler Responder. I have had it for 3 years now and absolutely love it. I chose it over the streamlight for several reasons.

For a few bucks more, I have a light that feels lighter, has a larger beam of light, a brighter beam of light (2 to 3 times), interchangeable battery wirth a pack of C-cells if you can't recharge, you get about 2 1/2 hours from the battery and up to 5 with the C-cells.

I have heard aome good things about the Pelican Big Ed but I still went with the responder simply becasue it is easier for me to get service for it from the place I bought it, should I need it.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

I have an "Underwater Kinetics" flashlight mounted on my fire helmet. It is very bright, relatively light and runs of 4 AA Batteries. Only about $20 for the light and $10 for the holder.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

i like the Survivor. On all the trucks we have to Streamlight Litebox
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

the Survivor is a very nice light...i'd go with that
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

Forum Member

Default codeblue

Some of the other guys may chime on about this as well.

I dont and wont have crap on my helmet. If someone is a yard fireman, then it will be fine. BUT, in the real world when those dryer and HVAC ducts burns and fall, or the miles and miles of electrical wire is hanging down...you will REALLY regret having something like that on your helmet.

Those flashlights and holders are like a arrestor hook on a navy jet when it lands on a carrier...it's gonna get something.

Sounds comical, but when you are hung and panic and tear your helmet and possibly your mask off...funny is over.

If you've gotta do it, keep wire cutters readily accessible (you ALREADY should).

Just my 2 cents.

I just have a $20 yellow streamlight. It doesnt matter what you have, you cant see crap anyway.

Permanently Removed

Default Streamlight...

I have a 20XL at home and a department issued
    Survivor on my coat. Love them both. Definatly
    go with something rechargable.

-Bou
    Last edited by CALFFBOU; 03-02-2003 at 10:35 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have just started using a 5 LED Black Diamond flashlight/headlamp. I have this light for everything but fire attack, plenty bright for using inside a car during extrication or using a chainsaw to tunnel through brush to a car. It is not bright enough to cut smoke but will prevent falling over the hoses. About $25 at www.rei.com .

P.S. I didn't rigid mount this to my helmet it will pullfree if entangled
    Last edited by gregblewett; 03-02-2003 at 07:59 PM.

I also liked the U.K. light I had on my old helmet. It was small, light , and very bright. I do agree that in a smoke filled home you won't see anything no matter what you have. I don't agree with rechargables. Unless you use them every day they will loose there charge or discharge time. Alkaline cells have a much longer shelf life without the cost.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for all your ideas - much appreciated!

Balto City Truckin Co....
    Long Island Or Baltimore I forget which ;-)

Dude go with the Kohler RESPONDER,

Ni-cad 2 hrs light@ 45,000 CP
    4 C-cell 5hrs light@60,000 CP

survivor 35,000 cp
    big ed not sure 60,000 i think

RESPONDER WINS hands down

http://flashlight.com/responder.htm

By the let us know what u went with.

dazed and confused

I have to throw my weight behind the Kohler Responder also, as Da Sharkie and EdpEmtd have.

Spare bulb storage, bright, tough, works on alkaline as well as rechargeable, easy to use with a gloved hand.

I have not had a problem with it losing its charge. I probably charge it 4 times a year if that, aside from recharging it after being used all night.

Big Ed: not a fan. Survivor: not a fan.

I've messed around with the Streamlight LED's, some helmet LED's... I even bought a few different ones. They're getting there, but still not bright enough for my liking. They're great for hiking or running at night, but I like it a little brighter and focused on what I'm doing. I've been thinking about tossing a backup LED light in my one of my pockets. We'll see.

For a helmet light, I strongly support the UK (I think it's the Q4). I went through 1 lamp module in the past couple years, but it is so much brighter than the other minis out there that I think it is worth it. As for an entanglement hazard, I simply didn't screw the mount onto the helmet. It is held in place by friction alone. If it gets tangled, the light is coming off. No big deal. Got the wire cutters and a mighty sharp knife within reach at all times anyhow.
    God Bless America!Remember all have given some, but some have given all.
    Google Is Your Friend™Helpful forum tip - a "must see" if you're new here
    Click this to search FH Forums!

Post The Green one

There is a yellowish green one in galls it is made by Star Inc I believe. It is 40,000 Candel power, nice and bright... but the current thing is the Survier.yes they are small, and have a special bulb that "pearces" threw. And it isn't that all big, but it is only 15,000 not that so bright.I am a dealer for Fire equipment if you want to by anything at a good price.
    Backdraft_Firefighter2001@yahoo.com is my E-Mail address
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Danny B
    (My old name was FirefighterDan)
    Wayne Twsp. Volunteer Fire Dept
    "Pompton Falls Co #3"
    "Lets Never Forget Our Fallen Heroes"
    9-11-01
    -PCFA Class of 2001
    Firefighter 1

IACOJ Agitator

I have a Pelican Big Ed rechargeable flashlight. I like it. 65K Candle Power. It's bright, tough, spare bulb, yadda yadda...same thing you'll hear about most every light.

It is a little bit heavier than a Streamlight Survivor because the battery is heavy, but you honestly do not notice it at all when it is hanging from your coat.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

I managed to get a used Survivor from a buddy for a good price. Thanks for all the advice, though.

MembersZone Subscriber

For a large handlight Streamlight has it with the litebox or vulcan but for a personal flashlight to clip on your coat or scba or put in your pocket I would go with the BigEd made by Pelican or the RESPONDER made by Koehler. You can tell the difference just by looking at them. Much brighter, bigger beam, and so far my Responder has held up better than the Survivor.

Forum Member

I have an old seatbelt i use as a belt and have two of these attached to it; one on each side........

Thread Information