MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think there is any state specification on the longevity of the card. There is nothing in the V&T. When I get a chance I will look in the State GM Law Book.

Our cards at one time said it was good for a specific year. We did away with that and now the cards are valid until revoked.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Blue Light Cards

SmokeyNY

As SFDChief indicated, the Blue Light authorization cards are good until revoked or you leave the fire service. The only exception on this, that I am aware of, is if your new Chief wants to reissue all the cards in the department.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

Default Blue Lights/Red Lights

Geeze, after over 20 years of living in the South and listening to "we don't give a dam* how you do it up North", I can let y'all play the reversal and have you tell me "you don't give a dam* how we do it in the South.

Having been born and raised in NYS, and having been a member of the Hillcrest Fire Co. in Binghamton, NY, displayed a blue light, and now a career firefighter in S. Carolina and been through the red light deal, I feel your pain.

I've worked my way through the ranks to Asst. Chief and have an assigned take home car with lights and sirens I can tell you a couple of things. People still don't move with lights and sirens going let alone a light only. Second, as I was told by the Chief's I served under at Hillcrest and the Chief who hired me from the volunteer ranks to the career ranks, your P.O.V. is not an authorized emergency vehicle. The blue, red, or what ever light only identifies you as a responding firefighter. You still must obey all traffic laws and drive with Due Regard.

I have done the heavy foot deal and have stood on the carpet in the Chief's office because he got call from the PD. My department finally had to limit the use of the red light to allowing our vollies and off duty paid folks to activate their lights not more than two blocks from the scene so as to identify themselves to the cops.

More than one member has had an accident (single car) or a chat with the local constabliary (speeding).
    Remember, if you get into an accident responding, you and/or your department could be liable.

Heck, I find myself not even bothering to activate my lights and siren to most calls and get to the scene nearly as fast.

Just my $.02 from a former New Yorker

Take care be safe.

J. Colwell
    Last edited by colwell; 05-16-2003 at 11:54 AM.

Forum Member

Wink

Like stated by others on forum the blue lights only act as courtesy lights. In my department we get lucky somedays and people pull off to side but the members who use lights versus those who dont are about equal. Those who chose not to use them usually end up behind members who do since local PD does not really enforce many laws regarding lights and the likes. We are also not always responding to fire house as Interior Fire Fighters we mostly have few who go to house for equipment and others who go to scene to establish our presence. This is something our current chief prided himself on establishing since we tend to have gear in our cars including Air Paks. Also blue light cards are valid until revoked in most areas of New York but depends on department.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Hmm....

Interesting what the Brothers in NYS deal with, with the matter of POV lights and RIG lights for that matter. Stay safe Brothers...whatever light you run!

"FF Bobby Hill Forever"

Forum Member

hi all! im new obviously. im actually waiting to hear from the VFD if i have been accepted but i do have a question. when i do get accepted, when do i get my blue card and how long do i have to wait for it? also with the blue lights, am i allowed to have those blue lights with amber and/or white lights?

too bad wig-wag headlights are illegal in NY. my dad has a set from when he was an EMT back in 1986 that are just sitting in a box collecting dust.
    Last edited by chrismartin1701; 10-01-2010 at 08:34 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chrismartin1701 View Post
    hi all! im new obviously. im actually waiting to hear from the VFD if i have been accepted but i do have a question. when i do get accepted, when do i get my blue card and how long do i have to wait for it? also with the blue lights, am i allowed to have those blue lights with amber and/or white lights?

too bad wig-wag headlights are illegal in NY. my dad has a set from when he was an EMT back in 1986 that are just sitting in a box collecting dust.

No disrespect intended but go to the Volunteers section and see where they have dragged this subject around like a old coat for several pages.

You'll get a great learning!

Forum Member

When the Chief decides to give it to you...remember it is a priveledge, NOT a right.....and BLUE ONLY legally projecting forward.....you may be smart and read exactly what the V&T law states is allowed - you can do an on line search and fine the specific section.....

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pasobuff View Post
    When the Chief decides to give it to you...remember it is a priveledge, NOT a right.....and BLUE ONLY legally projecting forward.....you may be smart and read exactly what the V&T law states is allowed - you can do an on line search and fine the specific section.....
    i have a blue mini light bar with 2 rotators that i just got. is that okay to use? i have a friend down the street from where i live who works at the same station im trying to get in nad he has lights all over his truck. blue leds int he grill, blue strobe mini bar on the roof and i think a blue LED dash light aswell and cops dont see it as an issue.
    Last edited by chrismartin1701; 10-03-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Forum Member

You still need to check the V&T Laws for your state - many only allow for a single light, or a maximum candlepower.....

Just because the Chief or the local police are not taking issue with lights right now, doesn't mean that they are legal.....do your homework and make sure you follow the law.....

Forum Member

Exclamation

Read this Chris;

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c128/a17.html

Section 375. Equipment.

4. Blue light. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle
    owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such personís family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office.

Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue and red light combinations shall be prohibited on all fire vehicles. The use of blue lights on fire vehicles shall be prohibited and the use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter as provided for in this paragraph.

NOTE: The Chief of the department must authorize the use of the light, subject to "revocation at any time by the chief who issued"
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Let's talk fire trucks!

hi all! im new obviously. im actually waiting to hear from the VFD if i have been accepted...
    Best of luck with your fire service career, but at this point, focus on your training, and leave the blue lights behind. Make sure your priorities are in order!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

There is not a light currently made that is legal by the NYS V&T. The candle power is too low!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by wlrfa2907 View Post
    There is not a light currently made that is legal by the NYS V&T. The candle power is too low!
    Actually the candlepower restriction no longer applies to blues. It does still apply to green and purple though.

Back In Black

Boy this 7 year old thread hangs in there well...
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Default blue lights

i like the blue lights but even know ill be a vol firefighter in a month i don't think ill ever add one since i only live 5 blocks from my firehouse
    Explorer Lieutenant
    2011 - 2011 - 3 days
    Explorer President
    2008 - 2011
    Fire Explorer
    2005 - 2011
    Volunteer Firefighter
    March 7th -?????

Forum Member

i live in NJ and one of the firefighters in my department was pulled over on the way to a call because he had too many blue lights on his car. I dont understand why the cop pulled him over, he should have followed him to the call then give him the ticket after the call is over.

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by LFD6551 View Post
    i live in NJ and one of the firefighters in my department was pulled over on the way to a call because he had too many blue lights on his car. I dont understand why the cop pulled him over, he should have followed him to the call then give him the ticket after the call is over.
    Because he had broken the law! The volly didn't have anything to fight the fire, he was on a fire department vehicle, so there was no need to follow him to the fire.

The LEO did their job!!

Forum Member

So how much was your ticket?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BFDFirefighter418 View Post
    i like the blue lights but even know ill be a vol firefighter in a month i don't think ill ever add one since i only live 5 blocks from my firehouse
    A blue light in NY has very limited value.

If you live in a smaller community that has a volunteer departments and it's residents understands what a blue light means, they generally will pull over for you. The residents of larger communities or cities passing through that community have no idea and almost never will pull over.

Honestly, it probably won't do you very much good, but if you do buy one remember that there is a candlepower restriction in NY, or at least there was when I was a vollie there.

Find out what that restriction is from one of the officers on your department.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Back In Black

How many lights, etc?

C'mon, we want details!
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Dear chiefKN.
    the car had wig wags. 1 LED light in the back window, 1 LED on the dashboard, and a roof light.

Back In Black

Dear chiefKN.
    the car had wig wags. 1 LED light in the back window, 1 LED on the dashboard, and a roof light.
    That does sound like a lot. I can tell you that the wig wags probably put it over the top in the cops mind...

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Honestly, it probably won't do you very much good, but if you do buy one remember that there is a candlepower restriction in NY, or at least there was when I was a vollie there.
    NYS V&T still says 32cp, AFAIK.

It's pretty much universally ignored. Even a dash LED light probably blows that out of the water. In fact, it's hard to find a teardrop with other than a 50cp lamp.

The general consensus these days (including an interpretation from DMV, IIRC) is one contiguous light. That can range from a dash LED to a full width lightbar, as long as it's all one light - no speaker in the middle, etc. The light cannot be part of the headlights.

They're supposed to have a blue dome, too, but that's being pretty univerally ignored, especially with the advent of LEDs. Nowadays you see an LED light on a pick-up you don't know if he's a chief, firefighter, or a tree trimmer (amber).

Chief's can have white, firefighters can't.

Fire apparatus and ambulances can now have rear-facing blue, such as the police got a couple of years ago.

As has been pointed out innumerable times, blue gets you no rights. In fact, if you're in an area with lots of traffic control devices and traffic, and not in your own district, you might as well leave it off. Odds are you won't get a by if you run a red (stop) light, even if all of the other motorists let you go.

As long as you're not stupid about it, you can probably get away with running a tad over the speed limit (you almost have to - if you do 55 you'll be holding up traffic), and maybe rolling a stop sign. But if you have an accident as a result, you're toast.

The cops have radios, too, and more than a few times I've heard them ask dispatch what XYZ fire department has. I have no doubt that if you're pushing your luck and you're not in your own district, you may be delayed on your arrival....
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by tree68 View Post
    NYS V&T still says 32cp, AFAIK.
    Title 3, Article 9, Section 375 (2) (c) of the NYS VTL: "No lamp shall be used on a motor vehicle having a light source greater than thirty-two candle power, unless such lamp is approved by the commissioner as provided by this section. The provisions of this paragraph shall not apply to any light which is permitted to be displayed only on an authorized emergency vehicle, a hazard vehicle or a vehicle which is permitted to display a blue or green light pursuant to paragraphs four and five of subdivision forty-one of this section."

Title 3, Article 9, Section 375 (41) (4) Blue light.
    a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation....

So, section 2C appears to exempt blue & green lights per the maximum candlepower... Odd things do occasionally happen... But, go overboard with the lights and you'll get extra (possibly unwanted) attention from Law Enforcement... Common sense prevails here (or at least it should)

Thread Information