Thread: Rit Teams

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Rit Teams

I would like to know what size RIT Team has been most effective? What tools other dept are req to carry? ( Trying To Make A Change In SOP ). At this time we are using 2.
    Last edited by CHIEFENGINEER; 03-01-2003 at 04:05 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Currently our department also has two members perform RIT, which is clearly not the right amount.
    6 members would be ideal, but where do you get them and still make an aggressive attack on the fire? 4 members should be the min., if you can get 6, go for it!
    As far as tools, that depends upon building construction and features (bars, security gates, ect.). This should also tell you how many teams you need.

A quick list for two members!
    Forcible entry/exit tools
    T.I.C.
    Search Rope
    Spare SCBA with a mask
    All members should have flashlights, as you add more members to the team, add more tools.
    Replace an axe with a Denver tool or sledge in commercial buildings to get that extra force. Think about other tools on the Truck that may aid you in getting in and out: saws, torches, pry bars, and anything else you can think of to get the job done.
    PFD in AZ just released a study with some scary numbers in regards to RIT, a copy of it was published in the FEB issue of FIrescue interactive, I also have an e-mail copy I can send you.
    E-mail me and I will send it to you.
    Be safe,
    G
    FTM-PTB-KTF
    FNDY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT

We use a county wide RIT. Ours is et up that first you must
    qualify for the RIT task. Mainly its a physical test and knowledg
    of fire skills and tactics including Search and Rescue.

We use a 4 man team minimum, preferably its 6. We get automatic
    mutual aid team from a neighbor. If they don't have a qualified
    team we use our members and their guys are sued as standard manpower.

Our tools are:
    Irons
    TIC
    RIT Bag(air bottle,Mask, Regulator,Nomex)
    Lifesafety Rope
    Rescue strap(12ft loop of webbing)
    and any other tools needed depending on building construction/type
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Protective Economist

My former FD used a 3-5 man RIT. It was automatically assigned to the 3rd arriving company. If they were short, they would be supplemented by the 4th company. Our training showed that 2 people is not enough to extricate your average FF. If you figure the FF may way 250-300 pounds with wet gear, moving him out with 2 men while still trying to follow a hose or rope is nearly impossible. We limited the # on the RIT to 5 because of overall manpower concerns as well as the idea of "too many chefs in the kitchen...".

Mandatory tools:
    Irons and fireman's axe
    Portable radio, prefer 1 per member
    2 Handlights, prefer 1 per member
    Thermal Imager
    Power saw with appropriate blade
    Spare SCBA and facepiece
    100' of search rope
    2 ladders on the building to every level above grade
    Spinal immobilization equipment
    Specially marked tarp for storing equipment

Something we did not do, but that you can consider if you have rapid-fill connections on your SCBA: changing bottles is tough. But, if you buy hose from the manufacturer of the SCBA, you can run up to 300 feet of hose to a person in trouble and use an aircart or other manifold system to keep air running to the member continuously. As long as the conditions permit, you can keep the person in trouble with an uninterrupted supply of endless air. Now THAT's a tool!

Also, activation of the RIT required a 2-alarm upgrade to the incident, and an automatic request for 1 more ambulance than FFs in trouble (2 people call MAYDAY, then 3 ambulances are sent).

Hope that helps, even if it is a bit long.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a query on taking in a spare SCBA, do you normally take in a complete set, or do you just take in a bottle with regulator, mask etc on a sling (IE no backplate or harness)?
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Protective Economist

Originally posted by stillPSFB
    Just a query on taking in a spare SCBA, do you normally take in a complete set, or do you just take in a bottle with regulator, mask etc on a sling (IE no backplate or harness)?
    On my department, we would bring in an entire SCBA with mask. You can buy bags that carry just the regulator, cylinder, hose and facepiece. We opted for a full SCBA because it is present on every front-line company and doesn't require an extra purchase.

Depending on the model of SCBA, you may need the harness and plate to ensure you have the 1st stage regulator.

Protective Economist

Default Re: Rit

Originally posted by Smitty272
    Some stations would use 2 guys as RIT and some would use 25 its all in man power its all in whos where and when, if you ever take the class and you roll up on a working structure you will want to call a seperate Resuce just for RIT, in the class if you have two guys go down it takes 5 times that to get them out alive.

Smitty
    Our experiences in training were that you CAN have too many people on the RIT. Remember, the FF is in trouble because of a problem with the building. If he has fallen through a floor, loading that weak floor with 15 FFs is probably not a great idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT

We just have a spare bottle with an extra regulator swith a strap.
    the only thing that we had to buy was a bag. We use a pack that had
    a broken mounting plate, took the regulator off and made or RIT bag.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Protective Economist

Originally posted by Smitty272
    Im not talking have that many guy's go into the structure at once, have a rehab set up your going to need it. that is just my opinion on it. It takes alot out of someone trying to due that type of rescue, i dont think just 2 or 4 guy's can do it that easy unless the victim is 5 feet in the door. JUST MY OPINION
    We would set up rehab with or without RIT deployment; rehab sector was automatic from a squad with assistance by the ambulance.

FF rescue is hard work, but our drills showed that a 3-man team in full gear can extricate a firefighter in full gear from 1 level above or below grade--on just one bottle.

Keep in mind that another RIT team may be needed if more than 1 FF is down, or if the rescue effort is complicated. The other RITs should then attempt different routes for access and evacuation so that if RIT 1's efforts fail, RIT 2 has already started a new possible solution.

Forum Member

I would say a minimun of four team members for entry/search carrying:

Box lights
    Thermal Imaging Camera
    Forcible Entry tools
    RIT SCBA
    Search Rope

If the firefighter he called mayday is more than just lost ie trapped in a collpase etc. you may need multiple teams to preform this rescue.
    Brian Jazudek
    Moon Run Fire - Rescue
    Assistant Chief/Training Officer
    http://www.moonrunvfd.org

"People ask me, why do you do it man? They don't understand, it's about the men next to you. That's all it is."

Thread Information