Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Military Job Training Advice-good or not good

I was wondering what you think about the military and training for fire fighting jobs. I am currently a firefighter and a emt and I just started my first semester of college. I have thought about the armed forces but never gave it much decision. I thought I might turn to this forum for some help on what you guys think. Maybe some of you who are in the armed forces can give me some info and advice.

This has been addressed multiple times here on the forums. Basically the gist is this: Everybody but the Navy goes to Goodfellow AFB for fire school. There you get IFSAC certs in a few fire service disciplines: ARFF, hazmat, firefighter II. These are only good in states that recognize them. If you live or plan to move to one of these states, basically all 50 but CA,TX,FL, and maybe a few others, then it could be a good move. Find the IFSAC website to see which ones for sure do. The rub is that most places worth working are going to have to retrain you anyway, via their own academy. I went the Army route. Awesome for me. I wouldn't have made it a semester in college. It got me away from home and the people I ran with, gave me a goal, and ultimately money to go school now and the discipline to finish. But that is just me. I loved it. I had a good station, good company (fire company, not army company) people, and we trained A LOT.

If you are even remotely considering the service but are unsure, go Air Force. More opportunity for advanced training, better equipment, and you really are just a firefighter. In the other branches, you still will have other duties to take care of while off duty.
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the help. I am going to see my air force recruiter on monday. I was looking at the air force and have finally made up my mind. Also what type of fire gear does the air force issue. Helmets and stuff like that. Also do you get issued two sets of gear, one for structure and one for crash rescue.

I am a Fire Fighter in the Air Force right now and I feel that anyone looking to get an extra little boost into the fire service should definately think about the Air Force. Like MrFreeze said you come out with ARFF, hazmat ops, firefighter II and there is a lot of chances to go and get additional certs while your in. Another couple of added bonuses are that you can get your AAS in fire science while you are in and it is very very simple to get. You get in most departments when you get out 10 extra points on your civil service test. which is a huge advantage over non military people. Also all state side bases are 50 percent civilian and 50 percent military and the only way to get one of those civilian jobs is to have been in the military. Ok now the downsides. you work 24 on 24 off with a kelly day every two weeks. The Air force is trying to work on this schedule but write now you work alot. Another disadvantage is that most bases run very very few calls. They are really into fire prevention so you wont get a lot of practical experience. As for if you get a both crash and structural bunkers it is very unlikely. You will usually just get Proximity suits and you use them for both strucural and ARFF. Also the Air force uses the worst air packs out there Interspiro. I hope this helped you out and good luck dealing with the recruiters the really suck and will usually give you a run around on saying there are no open fire spots but stick with it and you can get in. Also if for some reason you like the military there is a 40,000 dollar reenlistment bonus for fire fighters.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am enlisting in the air force next january because they require you to be off of mind altering drugs for at least a year. I am currently a firefighter and an emt. I am also working on my fire science degree. I want to go. I can almost complete all of the physical requirements and I still have about 9 months left to train. AirFireGuy I would like to have you email me if you could because you are doing exactly what I want to do. I have been looking for someone who might be able to give me a little information on what it is like. Email me if you can.

My e-mail Adress is zachary.wiens@fairchild.af.mil
    Anyone who wants to know anything about military specifically Air Force Fire fire fighting give me an e-mail and I would be glad to answer your questions

MembersZone Subscriber

Airfireguy I am having trouble sending an email message to you. It will not allow me to send you a message. Any idea what could be wrong.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question

AirFire, I don't think my email got through either.

I'd like to get some info from you.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not sure why we can not send email to you but I would definitley like to get any info you could give me about the air force and firefighting and basic training.

MembersZone Subscriber

tshayes,

Is it possible for me to talk to you about the AF and Firefighting?

I have a few questions you might be able to help me with.

Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Any one can email me with info. My email address is nwadler@twcny.rr.com. Thank you in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone wanting some information about the Military Fire Service, I could provide information. I was in the Air Force as a firefighter/EMT along with alot of other specialized areas. I enlisted for the same reasons alot of other do and I can provide helpful hints on what to do with the Military and after as to getting hired with big departments. Contact me at Fire225@hotmail.com

Thread Information