Post what is a charter, and how to make one???

I would like to know how to make a charter ,can any one help our show me were I could look HELP.
    Last edited by goff4314; 03-03-2003 at 09:17 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am involved in starting a new volunteer fire department and have come across the "charter" term also and am unsure of its exact meaning. I assumed it applied to incorporation so we have begun that process.

Here is the example I came across on the Texas Forest Service webpage which requires a charter number from the state of Texas when applying for the grant:

Rural Volunteer Fire Department Assistance Program (HB 2604)

WHO IS ELIGIBLE…
    Any chartered, non-profit volunteer fire department operated by its members is eligible. Any part-paid/part-volunteer fire department is also eligible provided the number of paid members is 20 or less.

Forum Member

Your charter is your incorporation document that must be filed (at least in NJ) with your County and State.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Default RE : charter.

I dont know if this will help out but the department i am with has an Association. We are a tax exempt non profit organization run by the fire fighters on the department. What we do is raise money to buy equipment and other items that don't fall in the yearly budget by having fund raisers and such. You will need to file paperwork to recieve an employee ID number and a tax exempt status.

Hope this helped out some

Chris

Forum Member

Default Re: what is a charter, and how to make one???

Originally posted by goff4314
    I would like to know how to make a charter ,can any one help our show me were I could look HELP.
    I'm going to assume that you're in PA (I don't know of any other "Dauphin" counties anywhere else), in which case the answer is "you don't make a charter".

Charters are issued to corporations (for-profit or non-profit) by the Corporation Bureau of the Pennsylvania Department of State. If you belong to an existing fire company, chances are that you already have a charter (although it's also possible that nobody knows where it is), and you can research it through the Corp. Bureau. If you're looking to charter a new fire company, you need to apply for a charter through the Corp. Bureau. Either way, contact information for this bureau can be found at the Dept. of State site:

http://www.dos.state.pa.us

If you are looking to charter a non-profit corporation such as a fire company, this is a complicated process and it's best done in consultation with an attorney.

Thread Information