Default Homemade or rather, "station"made equipment

You guys have any equipment that you have made, like for rescue or extrication, or maybe modified a handtool? How did you address any liability issues with the whiners in your company?
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

Permanently Removed

I made my own "Gut Belt" because i didn't want to pay $50 for one. I made it from a peice of seat belft from a car we had at the firehouse, and some mettal rings and a clip. It works very well,. and i have not seen any problems with it yet.

Forum Member

We've got a "jam crib" that we us to jam into the "B" post on of an open door so that the Ram can get a better purchase point. The dealer had one, but we decided to make one that was wider (and thus more stable) and had more purchase points in, for better tool utilization.

Also, we have a rack on the back of our Tanker/Tender for our three, 1000 gallon portable tanks (the one with the metal folding rails). It sits nicely on the back.

In addition, I am planning on having a minor modification made to our Jack All. A department on the mainland originally came up with what they, and others, call a "Whistler Jack" (named after the fire department, or so I am told). Anyway, it is a metal pipe that slips down over the top of the jack. It has a V cut in the top. The base was made wider, and has loops for rope ratchets on it. It works the same as the stabilization struts (for vehicles on their side). but, the strut is adjustable because when you "jack" the jack all it pushes the pipe up, and into the side of the vehicle. It worked pretty well when I got to play with it for a couple of hours.

Apart from that, we don't have anything else that is "station made."
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Permanently Removed

oh yea, we also hade mounts to put on a smaller extention lader, to the outside of our attack truck. All the guys complained that it stuck out to far, but it was ripped of by a tree on someines driveway neway, so its off now!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking We Do......

Seem's like we're always tinkering with something. Among our "home made" tool collection is a "Hook" for pulling dashboards, made of solid 1 inch steel rod, shaped like a"J" with a few links of chain welded to the top end of the shaft so the hook on a hurst ram (or jaws) can apply the pulling power. Looks ugly, Works great! But then that's the way with a lot of things (and people) around here. Now, to address the "L" word. We simply don't put up with it, whine about liability and you're made to feel absolutely miserable about it for days. I went to the Admiral David Farragut School of Liability Concerns. Remember Admiral Farragut?? "Damn the Torpedos, full steam ahead..." Well, that's how it's done here, never been it court yet and will not be in the future. Stay Safe....
    Last edited by hwoods; 03-02-2003 at 07:58 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Re: We Do......

Originally posted by hwoods
    a "Hook" for pulling dashboards
    Sounds interesting.... You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of it available, would you?

My department is always looking for new tools to keep in the "tool box"... it seams that you can never get enough, especially when things go sideways on ya...!

MembersZone Subscriber

We are always tinkering, a few of the noteable items would be an elavator key made from a coat hanger, a SCBA holder for the engineers compartment made from a PVC pipe and some scrap metal. We are always working on new modifications- whatever makes old trucks serve new purposes.
    Stay Safe! Truckman38 Firefighter/EMT
    Proud member IACOJ
    *Never go anywhere without SCBA, a tool and a plan!
    *Never forget our fallen!

IACOJ BOD

We have attached Wheel Chocks to our two probies helmets, that way we always know where they are at the incidient.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Post Station-made equipment

Several of the members of my department are quite handy and inventive. They have made any number of things over the years, including a homemade 700 gallon pump-n-roll brush unit, still in service. Many items have been replaced or taken out of service by now. We still carry a homemade siphon jet and a "venturi tube" (for the lack of a better term. Both pieces of equipment are used for tanker operations, specifically for transfering water from folding tank to folding tank.
    Jonathan Martin
    martinj@wpi.edu
    WPI Mechanical Engineering
    "Be safe, use smoke detectors...be safer, sleep with a firefighter..."

Permanently Removed

I dont get it, please explain?

Forum Member

I knew I forgot something....

Our tanker/tender carries about 3000 gallons and also carries three 1000 gallon portable tanks (the same as what I mentioned above). We have been experimenting with this siphon system. Basically it is 3 inch PVC pipe, done in a "U" or |_| like so. when placed upside down, over the rails of the portable tanks, it allows the portable tanks to equalize together, rather than draining one, swap to the next, etc etc. It works alright, when set up properly (which, in order to set up properly usually involves a probie going for a swim). However, when sucking from all three tanks at once, you get decived when your water level gets low. One other thing that we have yet to work out, is that if the protable tanks are on an incline, the higher tanks drain into the lower tanks... but I guess that's gravity for ya.

Forum Member

Smile

We have made up a hood catch "hook" to assist in opening the hood at car fires and the like. It's made of 1/8" rod, about 10" long, with a hook back at about 45 degrees, we use it to manipulate the hood catch if the cable has burnt throughin the fire. Saves on much brute force with the halligan and having to put your hand between the hood and the top of the grill.

Forum Member

Well, where do i start.
    how about 1960 when our dept was formed, the station was hand built by the original members, and two pumpers were bought that had fire damage and were rebuilt inhouse. in 1974 a new ford f-550 was bought and the 1000 GPM tank and the compartments all the way around it were built from scratch with a PTO pump from a gas truck also installed. a hose storage rack was built in the station,also a hose drying tower , a hose washing and drainage rack,
    a portable hose washer, two water curtains, a pitot tube, some custom pry bars/entry tools, hose carrying tools,spanner wrenches, hydrant wrenches, a hose roller, a box to sit rolled hose into to unwind into the preconnect.hose bridges. custom hose adapters made from old hose couplings, custom O2 bottle holders, door jamb braces for pushing on during extrication, last year I built a portable unit to set up and use with a dump tank so we can do our annual pumper tests anywhere we want to. this is just the things i can think of off the top of my head, 99 percent of these items are still in service.
    Go to our website to see a picture of the pumper tester in action,
    the pic is at the bottom of the front page. That is our 500 GPM pumper flowing full flow, I will get better pictures this year when we do our 1250GPM pumper.
    go to- www.fire-ems.net/firedept/view/WeinerAR
    Thanks Tyler
    Last edited by ttjjss; 03-04-2003 at 11:18 PM.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

we have several items we make. one i just made is a hand tool with a double edge metal blade (for lack of a better term) for piercing metal with and the other end has a hammer head look a like and a pry bar. works great for forcible entry. we had a live burn last saturday and it worked it's tail off along with the axe and halligan. i need to get a copyright on it.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Tools

Well we turned a standard size pike pole into a "Closet Pike",
    It got broke on the end so we cut it downto about 3 1/2 ft. it works great. after we had or compartments "professionally orginized" we started to do it ourselves for alot cheaper. Custom made flashover simulator- its 2 overseas shipping containers welded together(got that idea from the state academy.) Custom made closet hook, just a 1/4" diameter rod about 3-4 foot long with a T handle and hook end.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

A guy at our station has taken wire cutters and welded a wrench on one of the handles for disconnecting batteries. Now he has the option of cutting the wires or simply loosening the bolts off the terminals with the wrench.

Thread Information