Space heater sparks garage fire
CALEB WARNOCK The Daily Herald on Sunday, March 02
OREM -- An Orem man in his 20s received first-degree burns to his back after a space heater ignited gas fumes in the garage where he was repairing the gas tank of a car, said Orem Fire Department Battalion Chief Andy Byrnes.
The garage was a total loss, as were two vehicles inside it -- including a fully restored antique Cadillac estimated to be worth $100,000. Damage to the garage and home totaled $30,000, said Byrnes.
"It was an accidental fire," he said. "There was one minor injury -- some first-degree burns on the victim who was in the garage at the time, working on a vehicle when a space heater ignited the fumes. It was a flash fire."
The blaze ignited around 6:15 Saturday night at a home near 900 N. 800 West in Orem. Only the man in his 20s and his father were home at the time; the victim declined to be taken to the hospital. His father was not injured, Byrnes said.
"The men called 911," Byrnes said. "The garage was fully involved when we got there, but we were able to get a very quick knock-down on it and save the house from any damage. We kept the damage to the garage."
Parts of the house received smoke damage, he said. All three Orem fire departments responded to the scene.
The fire spread quickly because there was gasoline on the floor of the garage when the blaze ignited, he said. Three 20-pound propane cylinders being stored in the space also contributed to the velocity of the flames.
A small, late-model car was also totaled in the fire; no estimation of its value was available.
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 1 of 1
Thread: Orem Utah Garage Fire
03-02-2003, 08:31 PM #1
Orem Utah Garage Fire
Last edited by UTFFEMT; 03-02-2003 at 08:37 PM.Front line since 1983 and still going strong
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)