Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default R.I.T. Team Tools, equipment & suggestions

Our VFD doesn't have an established policy on RIT, roles, responsiblities, equipment or staffing. So I have some questions I hope you all will help me out with.
    I've got the website www.rapidintervention.com and it appears to be great information there.
    We (a couple of us) would like to gather the equipment to dedicate to RIT and develop a policy on it.
    What equipment and policies do you all use?

Either post it or please e-mail me... mark440@firehousemail.com

Thanks!
    *Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Default RIT Teams

A RIT team should be just that. A team of trained members that their sole purpose is to be ready to enter in case of a firefighter emergency.

In our County, an engine with its own water supply source is designated. This is,should there be a breakdown of any attack lines, the RIT line can be used to safely aid firefighters in exiting the structure and protection of RIT team members. The hose line is stretched for the sole purpose of being utilized in case of an emergency. No fire attack is initialized for this line. The hose crew should be equipped with hand lights, axes, haligan, pike, rope, etc. for the possible use to rescue downed firefighters. These firefighters should be staged at the entrance to the structure and ready to go in if needed.

Any initial attack or rescue should be totally separate from the RIT team responsibilities. The RIT team should be called to working fires when all other units are called, but act only as the Rapid Intervention Team.
    "The uniform is supposed to say something about you. You get it for nothing, but it comes with a history, so do the right thing when you're in it."
    Battalion Chief Ed Schoales
    from 'Report from Ground Zero' pg 149
    I.A.C.O.J. Member

here are some things you wil need

irons
    hydrolic lifts
    rope
    extra scba ready
    flashlights
    radios

theres more i just cant think of anymore, if i come up with more ill tell you
    -JEFF G

RES49CUE
    Raritan Twp,NJ

49-56
    "Have Jaws, Will Travel"

This is another thing I dont get and it seems everyone is latching on to... we spend more time practicing it seems getting firemen out of a risky situation than training the firemen on how to prevent getting himself into a situation? IF you are sure that your interior guys are trained as well as they can be with technology today, and practice is still required though, then talk about a RIT team. Plus, 2 in 2 out? This can somewhat help that if maybe all your firemen are trained in rapid intervention. But another thing we must remember, and I think is forgotten, when you have a RIT team, you have to have somebody backing them up to. What if they go down? A lot of departments with the RI Teams, dont ever have backup for them. Not knockin the idea, just suggesting that maybe you should be prepared to take the steps to that point. You cant make bread and skip the flour?
    Last edited by flightmedic1; 03-03-2003 at 12:30 PM.

Check out this report ... Phoenix Fire Report ... RIC is highlighted on pages 45 and 60.

Stay Safe
    Last edited by PAVolunteer; 03-03-2003 at 12:43 PM.

Forum Member

Flightmedic, who is to say that is not what I've done?
    We have a volunteer department of 35 members, 15 of which have less then 5 years on. Needless to say, we certainly don't see enough work to be as sharp as we should be on our skills. We have training nights every Wednesday, that isn't enough. We'll get maybe 10 structure fires a year, push 20 with MA. Training without live experiance basically does nothing for you unless you use your training. That is why we want to establish a Rapid Intervention Team, Policy and tools to do the proper job. What you are saying is that we just need to train our Firefighters and talk about a Rapid Intervention Team AFTER the unthinkable happens? What are you saying about 2 in 2 out? That isn't what we are looking for here. What does bread and flour have to do with fires and RIT? We are trying to be proactive not reactive...

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

All of these replies to the RIT scenario have been great so far. I would like to add that a Thermal Imaging Camera is a lifesaver for finding downed personnel quickly if your Dept has access to one. Also, look into having your RIT teams educated in the basics of "Saving Our Own". It's a class taught specifically to firefighters about getting ourselves and our buddies out of dangerous situations. I am sure others here can elaborate more on the class if needed or you can find it on the Web I'm sure. Good luck with your RIT program.

Forum Member

Four Six Truck,
    Two of us attended some RIT training, brought to us by Utah Fire Rescue Academy and Conneticut Fire Instructors something or other. One Firefighter from FDNY 28 Truck and a Lt. from Springfield Mass FD. They taught us some great stuff! We would like to use this as our basis for training our RIT firefighters.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Protective Economist Jonathan Bastian's Avatar

RIT training, as several have identified, includes 2 coordinate stages. First, you must train your firefighters how to avoid trouble. Fire behavior, building construction, appropriate risk and self-rescue are all part of Stage 1. Stage 2 is teaching everyone the roles, duties and responsibilities of RIT as well as training to the SOG (you NEED an SOG).

A RIT Program needs to include all the elements of Stage 1, and specifically for Stage 2:
    -identify what RIT is, when it is required, who will staff it, how they are requested and how they are deployed.
    -identify the basic tools required and any equipment for known special hazards in your response area.
    -identify mutual aid/ambulance response.
    -identify chain of command issues, including radio frequencies and free-lancing by well-intentioned FFs.
    -identify a command decision-tree that helps the IC run the MAYDAY, including guidelines for deployment OR NON-DEPLOYMENT (some situations may be lost before commiting the RIT).
    -identify a system for notifying relatives and media about injured FFs.

Tools we included as a minimum:
    -Irons
    -Fireman's axe
    -thermal imager
    -100' search rope
    -power saw with appropriate blade for structure
    -spinal immobilization equipment
    -spare SCBA and facepiece
    -2 ground and/or aerial ladders to every level above grade
    -special tarp for RIT equipment, identifiable so no one takes the tools
    -other tools as needed based on the structure
    -specialty personnel if the incident is technical (such as confined space, high-angle, hazmat, trench, etc.)

MembersZone Subscriber truckman38's Avatar

We have done quite a bit of RIT training on our department. We used a house we were going to burn down for RIT training; we cut holes in everything and worked a lot of different scenarios in the house. The most notable scenarios involved breaching exterior walls and gaining access to the basement. About a month ago we were called to a fully involved structure with people trapped in the basement, being on the ladder co. we were getting prepared to perform a rescue- all based upon what we learned in RIT training. My point is that we are applying the same concepts across the board for rescuing firefighters and civilians. Some people set aside RIT tactics with the RIT equipment; these are valuable tactics that should be applied to all rescues.

That said here is what we set aside for RIT:

-At least 4 fully geared (experienced) firefighters that only have to put on their mask, grab tools and go.
    -We use a salvage cover as a staging area- next to the command car.
    -Stokes basket
    -100 feet of life safety rope
    -K-12
    -Chainsaw
    -Thermal Imager
    -Hand tools, at least one pick head axe and Irons
    -A RIT air pack with a one-hour bottle and an extra mask
    -Flashlights
    -At least two radios
    -Any other equipment that is deemed necessary for the incident

We have a RIT team on every incident until it is deemed "safe". Our crews have been excellent about establishing RIT, staying focused and doing a good walk-around. They are always monitoring the radio traffic to keep track of the crews and maintain face-to-face communication with the IC at all times.
    This is done at drills and incidents alike.
    Luckily we have never had to deploy the RIT team.
    Stay Safe! Truckman38 Firefighter/EMT
    Proud member IACOJ
    *Never go anywhere without SCBA, a tool and a plan!
    *Never forget our fallen!

MembersZone Subscriber mcaldwell's Avatar

Just bumping this thread up for someones benefit.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Thread Information