Thread: 2003 grants

Angry 2003 grants

Well it's 3/3/03 around 6:30 am OR time and fema says SORRY.
    Just came from there and thay say that a problume came up over the weekend. Thats going to hold up the openning of the 2003 grant startup. But thay will be posting a new start date as fast as thay can. Go read the post there and you will see what thay say is the problume. (I.E we whant it to work just as good as 2002 did) Now if that was true why the hold up had plenty of time to work it out, and last year to go off of as a base. That the gov for you get here and wait for it!!!
    Come one come all and if you do not like the U.S.A stay out.

Forum Member

I can tolerate a few delays when there could be $750 million for the fire service.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

MembersZone Subscriber

I expected a little bit of a delay.....No Big Deal. Our grant is all ready to go, just needs to be transferred over to FEMA's database.

If there is too much of a delay, I'm sure they will extend the deadline like they did last year.

Default What???

to toddmcbd

how do you have it ready is it the same form as last year?
    if it is can you email it to me?? First year doing a grant and i need a jump on it.
    Come one come all and if you do not like the U.S.A stay out.

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes, Im just using the info from last year. I dont anticipated it to be much different. If I can find the file, I'll email it to you.

Forum Member

Remember; This year is no different to last years process. One of the most important things to do is stick to the program guidance!
    Read it very close before you submit your application to make sure you are within the limits of the program!

"Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

MembersZone Subscriber

The following message came in from The Fire Group (Morning Pride, Servus, Warrington etc.)

Is this just a rumor?????

"* T H I S J U S T I N *
    THE FIRE ACT 2003 PROGRAM IS NOW ON HOLD! OFFICIAL MESSAGES INDICATE A TECHNICAL ISSUE CAUSING THE DELAY BUT OTHER SOURCES CLOSE TO WASHINGTON ARE INDICATING THAT THERE IS A STRONG PUSH TO NOW TAKE THE FIRE ACT PROGRAM AWAY FROM USFA/HOMELAND SECURITY AND TO MOVE IT TO THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE. SOURCES FURTHER INDICATE THAT THERE ALSO MAY BE A SHIFT IN FUNDING TO REDUCE THE CURRENT NUMBERS FROM THE FIRE SERVICE.

WATCH WWW SITES FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION. CHIEFS AND OTHER FIRE OFFICIALS MAY WANT TO IMMEDIATELY CONTACT THEIR ELECTED FEDERAL REPRESENTATIVES TO FIND OUT THE STATUS OF THE FIRE ACT GRANT FUNDING! (Ed. 1630 Hours/3/3/03)

The latest FIRE ACT GRANT application period opens this week...and closes quick as well! Here is some quick info so that you, our TFG Customer can understand where the process currently stands! (Be sure to go to http://www.usfa.fema.gov/ in order to get the latest information from the USFA) As of TODAY, the FIRE SERVICE will probably get $750 Million. It is not "official" yet but all bets are that $750 million will be the number that will be approved.

The application period starts March 3rd and ends April 4th. NOTE: THIS IS THE ONLY CURRENTLY PLANNED APPLICATION PERIOD FOR THE NEXT YEAR AND A HALF.

Distribution of the funds being applied for in the next few weeks will occur over the next year and a half. In other words: APPLY NOW and receive in the next one and one half years. Clearly, the last few years have represented a positive time in the fire service, at least as far as support from the Federal Government. The FIRE ACT GRANT program is a wonderful program...but there are "warning signs" ahead. The OMB (Office of Management and Budget) people want the program to be MOVED from USFA (FEMA/Homeland Security Dept) and placed into the Department of Justice...not good for the fire service.

We have spoken to the leadership of all of the major fire service organizations all agree that NOW is the time for YOU to contact your elected Federal officials. URGE them to KEEP the FIRE ACT PROGRAM under the watchful and qualified eye of the FIRE SERVICE-and that means the HOMELAND SECURITY DEPARTMENT which is where FEMA and the USFA now falls. Although the fire service certainly appreciates the program-it needs to be kept FIRE focused.

Clearly, the future of the FUNDING looks real good for the next 2-3 years-the issue is WHERE that funding will end up for distribution....DHS (USFA/FEMA) or DOJ? Make sure you let your Federal Officials know how you feel! BE SURE TO ALSO CHECK: IAFC <www.iafc.org> IAFF <www.iaff.org>, NVFC <www.nvfc.org>, CFSI <www.cfsi.org> as well as other related other fire service organizations web pages for the latest politically related info."

Administrator

This is rumor at this point. Look for some better information later this afternoon on the site.

WebTeam

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Thanks, WT

Really, I mean that. Regardless of my personal opinions about the grant programs, I do feel that the WT is trying to keep pace with all the changes as fast as they happen, so that all of america's fire service knows what is going on (or, not going on, as the case may be). However, I have a right to my opinion, and a right to express that opinion to my elected representatives, which I have done. I firmly believe that the current system needs to go. I have a huge problem understanding why we have a rural VFD in the southwest who's entire fleet consists of 2 worn out F250 pickups with skid tank/pump assemblies, but we ignore them while giving out money for "fluff" like prevention and fitness. I'm sure that there are those who feel that prevention and fitness is important, just as I feel that it is a waste of money AT THIS TIME. Later, After all of our nations Fire/Rescue organizations have the equipment that they NEED to protect their communities, then we can worry about other things. Adequate equipment absolutely must come first! Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Ok. Misunderstood Again.....

What I said was - THE SYSTEM NEEDS TO BE CHANGED SO THAT ALL EQUIPMENT NEEDS ARE MET BEFORE SPENDING MONEY ON ANYTHING ELSE What I meant was STOP SPENDING MONEY ON OTHER STUFF - USE ALL THE MONEY TO BUY EQUIPMENT. I know what all the guidelines are and so on. That's my point. Change the guidelines!! Without equipment, there is no Fire Department. You can have a Fire Department, and a good one, without having a Fire Prevention program, or a fitness program, But you can't do anything without equipment! No, I'm not upset at anyone, but I am quite upset with a system that continues to make no sense at all.... Thanks, Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information