Forum Member

Default FAST Team Identifiers

My department has one of the few FAST Teams in our county. The questioned was raised about how to identify the FAST Team members, equipment, staging area and especially their egress ladders when they go mutual aid. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that they have tried? We are a on a very limited budget, so the lower the cost, the better. Thank you.

Forum Member

Go to the forums in www.rapidintervention.com for more info on this subject...
    James K. Crawford
    Assistant Fire Chief
    Midway Fire Rescue
    Pawleys Island, SC

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Identifiers

Identification of FAST members: To date, we have not needed to identify, most of the responses are to out side departments and the Fast is known by the primary department. The use of identifying markers, they have to be handed out or carried on many apparatus, and what is the cost. Too many department are spending thousands of dollars on gimmicks, (special tarp, flags, airpacks covers, arm bands) for identification. Do you identify suppression, ventilation, or rescue crews with banners and flags? (Not including east-coast helmet shields or Boston & San Francisco helmet paint). Then there are the companies that spend about $3000. For a special airpacks, when you can use an extra one off the rig. But if you plain on some type of markings make them you self, or find some in you community to help you. You never now what you will find until you ask. The cheep blue tarp marked FAST / RIT would cost you about $10.00. One purchesed from a company could cost you $50. to $100. what would you spend? Well good luck. Remember keep it simple, If you spend all your time getting banners and flags out. You might delay your response when you are needed the most. TIME IS YOUR ENIMY! Be their, ready to help out. RDL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdcook View Post
    My department has one of the few FAST Teams in our county. The questioned was raised about how to identify the FAST Team members, equipment, staging area and especially their egress ladders when they go mutual aid. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas that they have tried? We are a on a very limited budget, so the lower the cost, the better. Thank you.
    my deparment does not have a FAST team but i know of a deparment whose team has a patch sewn onto thier jackets

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemanmatt1 View Post
    my deparment does not have a FAST team but i know of a deparment whose team has a patch sewn onto thier jackets
    I don't get it. Do they have guys who ONLY do FAST work? No other role?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by captnjak View Post
    I don't get it. Do they have guys who ONLY do FAST work? No other role?
    most of the time but they can be put to work because we call two fast teams off the bat

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firemanmatt1 View Post
    most of the time but they can be put to work because we call two fast teams off the bat
    So now they are put to work doing routine tactical ops. What happens to the patch? Wouldn't there be confusion as to who's doing what?

I still don't get it.

Any FAST team coming to rescue me can skip the patch or any other identifiers. As long as THEY know who they are and what they're doing.

Forum Member

Around here, EVERYBODY is trained how to do FF rescue, so ANY company can be assigned that role on a fire. There's also no need to have any kind of identification, as we typically are set up right next to the command post unless otherwise directed. As for tarps, I see no need for them unless you are in a real muddy area, you shouldn't be picking up tools that don't belong to you.

Forum Member

A couple companies around here wear a bottle cover that says "FAST" on it, however I am not sure what benefit that has. As an IC I know who my FAST or RIC is and dont need a bottle cover or patch to identify that
    www.whatsinyourpockets.com

Your source for Quality, handmade Firefighter pocket tools

Thread Information