Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bones42

Thread: Minitor 4- honest opinions, good-bad.

Forum Member

Question Minitor 4- honest opinions, good-bad.

We are in the process of bidding a new radio system with repeater and have been quoted the Minitor 4's as the only viable pager on the market, even by the Kenwood people. We have had the old reliable Minitor 1's for years and they are as tough as nails and very dependable. My questions is. what are your honest opinions on the Minitor 4's and what other brand of pagers are available nowdays that might be close to as tough and dependable as the Minitor 1's?
    We do not want any of the pagers that take the regular AA batteries,only ones with the good rechargeable batteries.
    I remember seeing some good conversations on here months ago about the 4's and others and would like to revisit it.
    Thanks, Capt Tyler Sitzer,
    Weiner Vol Fire & Rescue, Weiner, ARK
    www.fire-ems.net/view/firedept/WeinerAR

Forum Member

We don't have the Minitor IV's yet, but we are getting ready to put out the bids for some. Have heard of a few problems, but a good portion of those are due to programming errors.

FYI- THe Minitor IV's use 2 AAA batteries. You can use either rechargeable ones or regular AAA batteries........ Just have to be careful so someone doesn't put pager in the charger with regular AAA batteries......

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

We've had a handful of IVs for about three months now. They beat the hell out of the IIIs hands-down. I don't know if I think they're as good as the old IIs, however.

As for durability, can't say. Haven't run any of 'em over yet!

Seriously, we haven't had them long enough to know how tough they are.
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber
    finally getting ready to start the new station

We don't have any yet but one of our sales reps said all of the bugs that came with the M3s have been worked out. We will be due to replace some of our oldest pagers. We started 12 years ago with the little business type keynote pagers. They have been trouble since day 1. We have replaced some of our keynotes with M3s and ICOM portables with page module and stubby antennaes. The ICOMs are only slightly larger than the minitors, cost about the same, and give our FF/EMTs the added capability of communication to a scene responding in their own vehicle. The ICOMs seem to be built more rugged than other radios of similar size and cost. This might be an option worth checking out.
    Every silver lining's got a touch of grey...I wiilll get by....

Proud to be IACOJ Flatlander Division

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

IMHO the 4s are the same as the 3s with the exception of the knobs which i like alot better. the reception is the same as the 3 and the programming can screw up also as well.

there are other pagers out there such as the keynote and some others. look in the back of some of the fire service magazines.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Forum Member

End of last year we received our new Minitor IV's to replace a mix of II's and III's. We are now working on Motorola to replace all 110 pagers. Check their website for known "issues" with them. Turning volume down results in powering off unknowingly. On a good day, 3/4 of our pagers will activate for a call, the rest don't. There are multiple pagers with "dead spots" in the volume control meaning, if you put it at certain volume, the speaker cuts out entirely.

Hands down, the II's were the best.

Also, search the forums a little bit, there have been a few other discussions about the IV's on here that will give you more backround.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Default Decent

Good pagers but like the Minitor 3 except the knob is tighter and more secure and the beep when the tone goes off is louder and thats just about it on the Minitor IV

The receive is the same and all that stuff and the sound is good so they are decent and reliable pagers in my opinion.

John Betner
    Custer Fire & Rescue
    Breckinrdige Co. ERT
    Breck Central EMS

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Better than the III

Our entire county has finished upgrading from the Minitor III to the IV pagers. Here's what we've seen so far:

The knobs are much more secure, and don't move without you knowing it.

The reception and voice seems to be much clearer, and the stored voice records more reliably.

We have reduced our incidents of missed-pages almost completely. There are some corners of the county that just aren't conducive to radio OR pager communictions...

The IV's will NOT survive a car-vs-pager accident. They crush just as well as the III's. We had someone do that within 2 days of getting a IV. Afterwards, they can, however, be used as a percussion instrument. (Think morocca (sp?))

I have heard about the issue of turning the volume down too far and the pager going off without you knowing it, but I have not experienced it myself.

Any other questions?

Jim
    Volunteer/Paid on Call/Full time - we're all professionals. Be careful and stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Better than the III

Our entire county has finished upgrading from the Minitor III to the IV pagers. Here's what we've seen so far:

The knobs are much more secure, and don't move without you knowing it.

The reception and voice seems to be much clearer, and the stored voice records more reliably.

We have reduced our incidents of missed-pages almost completely. There are some corners of the county that just aren't conducive to radio OR pager communictions...

The IV's will NOT survive a car-vs-pager accident. They crush just as well as the III's. We had someone do that within 2 days of getting a IV. Afterwards, they can, however, be used as a percussion instrument. (Think morocca (sp?))

I have heard about the issue of turning the volume down too far and the pager going off without you knowing it, but I have not experienced it myself.

Any other questions?

Jim
    Volunteer/Paid on Call/Full time - we're all professionals. Be careful and stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Other than fixing the button problem what else does the IV have over the III? We have had lots of "ABCD" button problems with the III's but the rework ones seem to be ok. I was just wondering when the warrranty goes out would it be worth it to upgrade.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Forum Member

I love how Motorola can put out crap (Minitor III), fix it (Minitor IV), and then charge us for both. Then again, we bought both, so maybe we're the stupid ones. Either way, it sucks.

Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Honestly, go with one of the companies that refurbishes Minitor II's and buy them. Its the only one I consider dependable enough.

Heck, if you look on E-bay you can often times find them already on the freq you need.

Motorola should have stopped with the II if they really couldn't do any better.... but that doesn't bring in the $$$.

Forum Member

The only problem with the Minitor IIs is that we have been sending some out for repair, and they come back because they are unrepairable. They can no longer get parts for them.........

IACOJ - Proud member.

Any truth to the rumor that Motorola was going to offer free upgrades from the III's to the IV's ??
    Chief Jim Bator
    www.hopewellfire.org

IACOJ
    Got Crust?
    FTM-PTB

I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine. ~Kurt Vonnegut

Forum Member

Originally posted by JJBat150
    ...Motorola... ..free..

HAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHH.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have just bid out specs for the Minitor 4's.
    I am using the demo pager right now to test and I am VERY impressed with this pager so far. I really like the playback feature.
    So far I think its an excellent pager.

Forum Member

I've had my Minitor IV for 6 months or so, and I like it a lot. It's true that it IS the "fixed" version of the Minitor III, but the fact is that they fixed it, and I'm happy with that.

As for the folks who persist in advising people to go find refurbished Minitor IIs...what are these folks going to do when the existing stock of parts runs out?? Motorola isn't supporting this line anymore, and I'd bet that you won't be able to get them repaired (except with reclaimed parts) in a few years. Just something to think about before you blow your pager budget that way.

MembersZone Subscriber

I agree with what most others have said regarding the IV. It's a greatly improved version of the III.

I have not seen anything on the market that comes anywhere near as durable as the original Minitor I's. Even the II's weren't. The I's were built very durable and you couldn't kill them. Unfortunately it seem that the compact feature is out weighing the durability as far as Motorola is concerned.

The Minitor IV does use rechargable AAA bateries. In the 6 or so months that I've used it, I have not had any problems with it.

Forum Member

We have been using mintor IV for 6 months and like the way they work. we have the uhf model programed on our fire channel.

There are 90 mintor IV in serves and have had very little trouble with them, out of the 90 we have had to send 10 in for service. Motorola is replacing them insted of repairing turn around time is very fast, most of the trouble is the play back button not working.

Forum Member

ffbaer -
    There are 90 mintor IV in serves and have had very little trouble with them, out of the 90 we have had to send 10 in for service
    You have had them for 6 months and already had to send in 10 out of 90. That is very little trouble? I would hope from a new product that within 6 months, 0 would have had to be returned for repairs.
    Firefighter I likes this.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Say Bob,I'll tell you how we got around the Minitor 2&3 problem and it isn't with the 4.We're now issueing our members Vertex 180s at a little over $100.oo less than the minitor3.Page enabled,two way capability and a attractive price to boot.My faith in Motorola has diminished considerably with their recent product offerings and propietary software.T.C.

Originally posted by Rescue101
    (snip...) We're now issueing our members Vertex 180s at a little over $100.oo less than the minitor3.Page enabled,two way capability and a attractive price to boot.My faith in Motorola has diminished considerably with their recent product offerings and propietary software.T.C.
    Vertex has a good product line. I have a VX-150 HT that I use primarily for search and rescue ops stuff. Doesn't operate on the same freq's as my FD, but works great for my GSAR team's needs. I have a friend who uses his for his vollie dept. Ran it over with their engine once by accident and all he had to do was replace the clip brackets. Good, sturdy, made to mil-spec products. The only problem I ever had with mine was loose sodder on the power switch. That was easily fixed by a late night in a mission base with a tiny screw driver set and a small gas powered soddering iron. (don't drop the parts in the dirt! 0200 is really too early to be working on radios, but when ya got a mission going on... ya gotta have comms)

I like the options offered by the 180... looks pretty spiffy, especially the alpha page capabilities.

Thread Information