Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Safety Presentation for Small Kids

I've just been informed by my wife that I've just volunteered to give a fire safety talk to a group of 4-5 year olds. Only problem is, it's TOMORROW!

I've been on to the NFPA site and downloaded and printed a Fire Safety Checklist, a Grid for an Escape Plan and a Stop, Drop and Roll coloring sheet, but would appreciate any information based upon other's experience on what topics I should concentrate on and/or any other information you could give me.

Thanks ahead of time!

We have always included the following for small kids:

A discussion of smoke detectors (we bring a working one) and what they sound like, and what to do when you hear it.

A "real fireman" who brings all his gear, shows it to them, then puts it on, including the SCBA, so they can hear the sound of a firefighter on air and not be afraid of it and hide. If it is a large group, have 2 or 3 firefighters do this and go through the room, so that all kids hear it up close.

A reminder to ask their parent where their "emergency meeting place" is.

Have fun!!
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

The attention span for the 4 to 5 year old age group is only about ten minutes at the most. To reach a 4 to 5 year old, you have to think like a 4 to 5 year old! If you mention anything technical, you have lost them.

I would just bring in the gear, talk about what firefighters do, put on the gear (telling what each piece is and why you wear it)and the airpack for the demo and then leave it at that. That should take up the 10 minutes of attention span. Then you can can ask them if they have any questions (prepare for a lot of "what ifs.....) If you have a smoke detector to bring with you, activate it so they know what it sounds like. I bring a "fake nose and glasses" disguise and tape it to the detector and tell the kids that a smoke detector is a nose that sniffs out smoke all day and all night and tells you to get out of the house.

Save the handout materials and give them to the teacher. Tell the kids that it is homework for Mom and dad!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

It is important to remember that children that young have a very short attention span and and even shorter retention span!

KISS applies here, Keep it simple stupid.

Pick 3 or 4 basic messages.
    1. Smoke detectors
    2. Stop drop and roll
    3. Firefighters, while scary are our friends
    4. What to do if they find lighters and matches and NEVER NEVER hide if there is a fire, even if you are scared you will get in trouble. (many fires unfortunately are started by children playing with lighters and matches and they hide for fear they will get in trouble.)

Keep it as interactive as possible. Sparkys ABC's of Fire Safety is great for this age group. I usually have them run for a moment so that they can feel the wind they produce when the run. Then explain how this makes the fire bigger yada yada.

Good luck and most importantly you have fun too!!

MembersZone Subscriber

The Capt. and Lady are both right on short and sweet. As I dress up I ask the kids what to put on next. When dress I tell them I am going to put on this mask and breath, but no one can call me names!! They get a kick out of making up name for what I look like (A pig, darth vader to name a few). Then I have each of them come up and touch my gloves and facepiece to see it is still just me. Tell them you want them to come to the FF not run away. The kids love it. Good Luck and enjoy yourself, I love doing it.
    B Holmes

MembersZone Subscriber

Some great ideas here - many thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

It went GREAT! I got some plastic helmets from the Chief to hand out, which went over BIG. We covered smoke detectors, an evacuation plan and stop, drop and roll. Glad I kept it short as their attention span, as you guys pointed out, was about done.

Thanks again to all for your advice. My son thought it was all pretty cool and told me he wants to be a fireman when he grows up.

Oh, and I had a blast, too!!

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

next time go to the FEMA website in advance and order some of the free coloring books and give them out. you can only order 250 at a time but stock up on them. i usually will order 250 every couple of months so when we hand them out there are plenty to go around.

sounds like it went great, good job.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad it went well.

"About a ten minute attention span". If things start to drag or if something else catches their eye, try 30 seconds. I was doing a preschool class and one young man turned around, spied the toys, and was gone. His movement caught the eye of another boy and girl and they were gone too. Things can change in a hurry!!

We don't just talk about stop, drop & roll... if we can do a presentation outside (to show off the rigs), we'll lay out a salvage cover and PRACTICE it. There's a way to keep their attention, let them have fun and drive home an important point.

MembersZone Subscriber ffsmromstadt13's Avatar

Default Re: Fire Safety Presentation for Small Kids

BLACK Smoke Is Bad Smoke. Talk to your parents. Please Please do not hide make noise and yell. I think your all set with all the tips you have you'll be a pro speaker before you know it!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information