+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    Permanently Removed

Default Its about time someone finally said this. (Gotta read!)

Webteam- I was going to post this in the off-duty
    section, but felt this needed to be sharded "full
    tilt" with the brothers and sisters. Thanks, Bou

After hearing that the state of Florida changed
    its opinion and let a Muslim woman have her
    picture on her driver's license with her face
    covered an American citizen wrote this editorial
    that was published in a Tampa newspaper. He did
    quite a job; didn't he? Read on, please!

>IMMIGRANTS, NOT AMERICANS, MUST ADAPT. I am
    tired of this nation worrying about whether
    we are offending some individual or their culture.
    Since the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, we have
    experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority
    of Americans. However, the dust from the attacks
    had barely settled when the "politically correct"
    crowd began complaining about the possibility
    that our patriotism was offending others.

I am not against immigration, nor do I hold a
    grudge against anyone who is seeking a better
    life by coming to America. Our population is
    almost entirely made up of descendants of
    immigrants. However, there are a few things
    that those who have recently come to our country,
    and apparently some born here, need to understand.
    This idea of America being a multicultural
    community has served only to dilute our sovereignty
    and our national identity. As Americans, we have our
    own culture, our own society, our own language and
    our own lifestyle. This culture has been developed
    over centuries of struggles, trials, and victories
    by millions of men and women who have sought freedom.

We speak ENGLISH, not Spanish, Portuguese, Arabic,
    Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language.
    Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society,
    learn the language!

"In God We Trust" is our national motto. This is not
    some Christian, right wing, political slogan. We
    adopted this motto because Christian men and women,
    on Christian principles, founded this nation, and
    this is clearly documented. It is certainly
    appropriate to display it on the walls of our
    schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you
    consider another part of the world as your new
    home, because God is part of our culture.

If Stars and Stripes offend you, or you don't like
    Uncle Sam, then you should seriously consider a move
    to another part of this planet. We are happy with our
    culture and have no desire to change, and we really
    don't care how you did things where you came from.
    This is OUR COUNTRY, our land, and our lifestyle.
    Our First Amendment gives every! citizen the right
    to express his opinion and we will allow you every
    opportunity to do so. But once you are done
    complaining, whining, and griping about our flag,
    our pledge, our national motto, or our way of life,
    I highly encourage you take advantage of one other
    great American freedom, THE RIGHT TO LEAVE.

If you agree -- pass this along

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default I AM NOT AN AMERICAN... BUT...

I am just as partriotic to my own country..... the uniform I wear each day to work pretty much settles that question.

However, to answer one point on CALFFBOU's post regarding the obstruction of a face on a provincial (read STATE) drivers' licence.

With the exception of clear lenses on prescription glasses (and beards or mustaches), there will not be any obstruction to the face that could construe or alter the appearance of the person depicted by the photo. This in effect means that the woman with her Bacca or whatever its called across her face would be in violation of that law.

Of course I have no information on Florida state licencing laws, but I feel pretty confident that it would not matter what a persons religious believes are, your face will not be covered to such an extent as to hide your identity, that is what the purpose of the picture originally serves.

How many future cons and ex-cons do you thing could now take this little piece of info to the DMV and "hide" their faces to such an extent that they could not readily be identified?

Cop on side of road with a "speeder".... "I am sorry sir, but this photo ID simply can not be you. You are not wearing your belaclava."

Speeder: "Hold on.. how does this look now Officer?" (Placing belaclava over head)

Cop: "Oh thank you... for a second I thought that you were someone else."

YA RIGHT GIVE ME A BREAK!!
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

I fully agree, as a naturalized American citizen, I expect to be able to take part in the all benifits afforded to me by the laws of this great country. I also expect to have to abide by all the rules, and not just pick and choose what suits me. I get sick and tired of people coming here for a better life and then moaning and groaning that every thing is wrong. Once you take the oath of allegiance and become a citizen, you are an AMERICAN, not an African American, an Irish or English American, But a full fledged American. I for one am extremely proud of my US passport and though I am proud of my English roots and culture, I AM AN AMERICAN.

Forum Member

I'm STILL waiting for the Baldwins to hold up their end of the bargain- if Bush won, they were leaving the country.

::taps foot::

Still waiting.......

Forum Member

Certainly it makes sense that this woman should have been required to show her face for her license. A picture of somebody with a veil on is utterly useless.

However...

There is no law making English our official language. It's an oversight, I suppose, but the fact remains that there is no legal basis for excluding other languages from road signs, etc. It has just been the de facto language because of its widespread use around the nation and the world. Sure, it would help things if we'd enacted it as an official language, but it's probably too late now.

And what if it was? What if nobody ever "schlepped" anything around? What if you just ordered your apple pie with ice cream, instead of "a la mode"? Or if it was just the "soup of the day"? Anybody find "Oktoberfest" more colorful than "The Big October Party"? Would those expressions have ever developed if they were forced out of the lexicon by an Official Language?

What if there were no Guinness?

Right now their are more Latinos in American than African-Americans. They may outnumber Caucasians one day. What do you do then?

September 11 was a horrible event. But the fact that it was perpetrated by people from other countries is immaterial; the 168 lost at OK City were no less dead just because an American killed them. Their nationality tells us only where to look for them, and their religion only clues us in to their motives & MO.

A terrorist is a terrorist, whether the skin is white, brown, or in between, and regardless of whether the act is "justified" by the Koran, the Bible, the Torah, tea leaves, or a Ouija board.

And an immigrant is an immigrant, whether or not the native tongue happens to be the dominant one. You come here, you obey the laws (the driver's license thing again), you respect other people, you work to be productive, then you belong. You steal, you kill, you cause problems, then you should be thrown back.

There are a lot of immigrants I'd prefer to live beside in lieu of many of the knuckleheaded Americans I know. Who cares if the woman covers her face? Who cares if I can overhear them speaking Arabic on their front porch? If he's a pediatrician and she's a trauma surgeon, I'm tickled to have them. Matter of fact, if he's the manager at the Piggly Wiggly grocery and she stays home with the kids, I'm tickled to have them.

This is a nation of immigrants. Anybody who thinks immigrants should unilaterally conform to the default language, culture, and religion has obviously forgotten who was here before Columbus.
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

MembersZone Subscriber

So why don't we just re right the constatution then since by this guys assessment, choice of religion does not include anything other christian principles.

Again I disagree, RELIGIOUSE FREEDOM, does this not ring an Fing bell any more. It means you have the choice to practice your religion, and I have the choice to not have your religion stuffed down my neck.

New York/New Mexico a 5,000 mile commuter

Thumbs up

Some real good points were made here, both pro and con......however "I Am An American!" And in being one.....I am for conformity, no-where in Europe, Asia, or the Mid-East are you allowed such rights and priveledges, as found in America. So why then, come here, and bring your garbage with you? I once purpertrated a discussion here about "our Lady Liberty" in the Harbor......100 years ago, we had land, empty land, and our Lady beckoned to help fill it with those misfortunates of the World. Today the land is filled, and we no longer receive misfortunate immirgrants, but instead, boat-loads of sick / criminal / political escapees of the World. Were my Grandparents born here....nope, however I no longer contain benevolence for what is now coming.
    Our Mottos-Creeds-Heros-Independance was hard earned and is fiercely protected (to a fault) but to bow to a / any Special Interest Group is not the way to go. Lifestyles-Religion-Politics-Dress Code is respected, so why not our Flag-Pledge-rules and Laws? When your here a while and pay your dues, I'll listen a little more attentively to "your" problems. Like the man said, if you don't like it here.....take a hike!
    Last edited by RdRunnr; 03-05-2003 at 04:12 PM.
    "All gave some......Some gave all!"
    Lest we forget.........9/11/01
    "Former Senior Member"
    RESCUEDAWG----FDNYRR

Forum Member

Default Give me a break...

Don't start this crap here. America (and the fire service) is made up of MANY different beliefs. And, they are all just as American as you arrogant Christians. Our national motto is "E Pluribus Unum". This means "from one, many". Only during the "red scare" of the 1950's did all that "god" stuff get started by hysterical right-wing Christian zealots. Thousands of people were tormented for "possibly" being Communists and hundreds went to jail for their beliefs. Quit trying to tie patriotism to that silly fantasy you call "god"...because you're ****ing off a lot of Americans who are every bit as patriotic as you...and probably more so, because we are willing to accept different peoples, whereas religion is good for nothing but to separate and destroy. If you want to rely on some barbaric wargodinthesky as a crutch for your feeble mind, be my guest. But this country belongs to ALL of us...and I'm afraid you're the one who's going to have to like it....OR LEAVE IT...because the LAW is on our side.

New York/New Mexico a 5,000 mile commuter

Question

You kind of mixed a few replies in your post...nozzelman. Be a little specific...I was the one who said like or take a hike, however I'm not in favor of any specific religious policies.....therefor I'm confused.

You also made mention to the "Laws" of this country......Are they the same that allow Pedifiles, Rapists, Murderers, etc to plea bargin? Sure the Laws of the US are better then most places, however we should learn a bit from progress, and up-date the laws built around a country formed 200+ years ago!

Those laws also include immirgration, correct(?).......like the American Boy Wonder caught by the CIA in Afgh.....or the numerous Sheiks causing undo havoc, because we have and they don't.....yet even the ACLU makes sure these MUTTS have rights too! No-one is under pressure in this country, so if choas is your plan.....move on out!
    "All gave some......Some gave all!"
    Lest we forget.........9/11/01
    "Former Senior Member"
    RESCUEDAWG----FDNYRR

Forum Member

Your post made absolutely no sense at all. I was simply addressing the religious banter that started this post. It's the same old "this is a Christian nation you're lucky we allow you to be here if your different if you don't like it leave" crap that's been circulating around the internet for years, and even more so since September 11, 2001. Keep your religion out of government, just like the constitution says to do...and take your "god" off our currency, out of our pledge, and put "him" into the mythology/fairy-tale books where "he" belongs. Our laws should be secular and treat everyone the same, irregardless of their belief or non-belief. Like somebody else said on this thread, quit ramming your beliefs down other's necks (throats?). What arrogance to think you're better than people who think differently than you do.

Arrogant? Isn't that "the pot calling the kettle black"? Who are you to decide God is a "fantasy" and should be relegated to "mythology and fairy tale books." Being an American you have a right to your beliefs and the right to express them. Keep in mind though that many in this country, this world and in the Fire Department hold religious beliefs. Just because you don't believe doesn't give you the right to pass judgement on those who do. Say what you will, but noones really values the opinion of a hypocrite. God Bless America and those who defend her.

MembersZone Subscriber

Post ???

Well well well, I see the old religion topic has come up. Well my 2 cents are if ya dont are here ya may as well follow all rules and laws that OUR yes OUR ( since we do elect by a non bias vote that all citizens 18 and older can vote... and if ya dont vote then shut the hell up and quit your whinning !! ) I personally think that religion is up to ya. Yeah I am Christian and I believe in God. I dont hold it against anyone that doesnt, but dont go and try and change me b/c of the ways you believe ! I think all ppl should respect religion. Now as for the driver's license, that is a joke!! She should not have been allowed to wear her rag over her face (sorry for slang terms dont mean to offend anyone i dunno what its called thou ) I also think that all people that are US citizens should learn English however this will not happen its jsut not i dont care how much praying to GOD,Jesus, Mother Mary, Allah or Satin or whatever GOD ( yeah there is that word again)you want. This country is to diverse for that to happen. We as FIRE and EMS have to suck it up and carry little pocket quick cards with us. Now as for the calling ourselves American.... i firmly believe that there is no African-American, No Hispanic american, and no other kinda American. WE ARE ALL AMERICAN. Just PLAIN AMERICAN !! Yeah you might have deceased or other relatives from Africa but u come to America u are jsut plain old American no different from George Bush, John Wayne, Martin Luther King, George Patton, Rosa Parks or anyone else that is American. And ya see even thou you are American doesnt mean you are any more or or less of a terrorist...Ya see all the time about Israel and their own ppl blowing up each other on buses. Be glad we are not that way over here. I surely thank the good Lord every night that we dont have those problems. As Americans we shouldnt be fighting over this crap we are discussing here in this very forum and instead we should be tryign to make this country great and safe for ALL AMERICANS, black, white, yellow, brown, pink or any other color. GOD BLESS AMERICA AND THE MEN AND WOMEN IN UNIFORM.

Forum Member

I am not going to get into a religious or language debate here. It isn't worth it.

I will however give my opinion on the driver's license thing. TOTAL BULL You might as well NOT EVEN HAVE A PICTURE if the person in the picture is totally covered. What's the point? You can't see the persons face which makes using for ID completely useless. If you want to live here, it isn't going to be just like your homeland. We habe drivers licences and that includes a picture. If you don't like that, then no one is forcing you to get a drivers license. Many people do without one and so can you.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ya see all the time about Israel and their own ppl blowing up each other on buses. Be glad we are not that way over here. I surely thank the good Lord every night that we dont have those problems. As Americans we shouldnt be fighting over this crap we are discussing here in this very forum and instead we should be tryign to make this country great and safe for ALL AMERICANS, black, white, yellow, brown, pink or any other color.
    Check your facts Crippen, it's not Israeli's blowing up each other. Have you ever heard of Palestinians? Your statement seems to give us a glimpse of your closed minded mentality.

Who is trying to change you because you are a Christian?

Freedom of religion means all religions, regardless of who founded this country. Lest we forget why they left England to begin with.

That said, I have no problem with "In God We Trust" or "One nation under God". After all, no one is forcing anyone to recite these phrases. If you don't believe in them, don't say them.

I have no issue with people from other countries coming here as long as they do so LEGALLY.

Why do so many on the right feel threatened by immigrants? Many of them are now proud Americans.

About the woman who kept her scarf on for her DL picture, of course it should have been removed. Let's not forget, it was an American who screwed up and allowed her to keep it on. The blame lies with the individuals at the DMV
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Default Re: Give me a break...

Originally posted by ThNozzleman
    Our national motto is "E Pluribus Unum". This means "from one, many".
    Hey ThNozzleman, you got this exactly backwards. It means "Out of many, One. Thats the way it's supposed to work, all the states in one union,etc.

Forum Member

Umm...let's see. Who's really arrogant? Seems like I remember the religious fellow posting his diatribe here, first. I was merely making a stand against this silliness, just like I do in real life, nearly every single day. Sure, I don't "have to say the pledge"...but I am SICK of one religion (Christianity) ramming their beliefs down people's throats, simply because they have the populist vote and think that gives them the right to pass laws that fly in the face of the Constitution, which is the law of this land. Don't post simple minded dribble here like that and not expect me to respond. Don't waste your time debating religion with me...you'll lose every time. It's all unfounded and unprovable, nonsense. 46Truck, your "god" is no different from the thousands of other "gods" relegated to the history books as myths. When you understand why you reject all other "gods" and religions, then you'll understand why I reject yours. I apologize about the "E pluribis unum" bit...got in a hurry. But the fact remains the same; we are a diverse country, and everybody deserves a secular, non-biased government that is capable and willing to serve its peoples equally. Religion, especially the Christian religion, is not in the least concerned with that. Christians are right and everybody else is going to "hell" to suffer for eternity, simply for a difference in opinion. And history has shown that Christians haven't hesitated to help the poor sinners along, whether burning them at the stake for being "demented" or drowning them for being "witches". Before you stand up for your "almighty", I suggest you do a little "research" and read your "good" book. You don't have to go far to realize what a nasty, barbaric, murderous "god" you profess to follow.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Heyyyyy!!!!!........

EastKy Please take note.... This thread has made a believer out of me.HANK HILL IS RIGHT Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

That said, I have no problem with "In God We Trust" or "One nation under God". After all, no one is forcing anyone to recite these phrases. If you don't believe in them, don't say them.
    Typical...this is MY country, too...and I should be able to pledge my allegiance to it without pledging to some rabbiwargodinthesky.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

So leave that part out of the pledge then! Sheesh!

Nozzzleman;
    I am a christian. So what. I DO NOT RAM MY BELEIFS DOWN OTHERS THROATS! I would appreciate you removing your blanket indictment of christians in this regard. I admit freely that some christians do try to ram it down our throats, they come to my door as often as twice a year( I promptly throw them off my property!)! I feel that religion is not meant to be involved with the government. IE: The church as an organization cannot be a part of the government. If you look at England at the time, the Anglican church was the ONLY church recognized and allowed by the British goverment. THIS is the type of thing the founding father were talking about! Not the current interpretation of that part of the Constitution.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member

Unhappy

...another version of the pointless, winless, "beer in the firehouse style" thread...

fits in with:

fog vs smoothbore
    color of truck
    career vs volly
    etc.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

Too true, Bones, too true.

But you know what? Right now I am really glad that I live in a country where we can all make these posts and not think that the Speech Police are going to be waiting for us outside the door.

Be it ever so ignorant, there's no speech like free!
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Forum Member

hmm ok you know first thing if you dont want to follow the laws set forth by this country get out

and another thing Thomas Jefferson himself said every 100 years a revolution would be needed to clear the burocracy out of the goverment and the constitution would only work under one religion

but what would i know i am just a christian Irish-mick

not a full blood immigrant but my grnadparents were

what would i care about middle east people moving here and covering thierd faces so you cant ID them

it just makes it easier for them to bomb us some more

MembersZone Subscriber

Typical...this is MY country, too...and I should be able to pledge my allegiance to it without pledging to some rabbiwargodinthesky.

I'm with you 100%. Last night after class, me and a few guys where out having a beer and we got on this conversation, and before I could even finish saying I disagreed, they where saying don't like it get out. Why are we so fast to toss everyone out that disagrees. The idea behind this country is that you don't have to be a robot, and that you can have different beliefs, and that the government will not dictate to you how you should belief.

What if we changed that little in GOD we trust to In Mohammed we Trust. and just tell all the Christians if you don't like just don't say it or get the fing bleeping out. It SERVES no purpose other then for religion as a whole to try and stuff it's self down our throats.

If you want your religious fix then go to church!!! But for people that do not believe like you they should not have to have it tossed at them when making a pledge, or going to public school, or any other place for that matter. Religion is a personal choice and should be kept that way.

I have always had a tremendous amount of respect for the USA. The fact that it affords the same rightts and freedoms to all people.

This thread has quickly degraded from whether a woman should be allowed to veil her face in a DL photo to a religious banter.

This is possibly the most insulting, closed minded, racist statement that has been posted.

ThNozzleman,

Understand this, I am not Jewish, and I am not a Christian, I have my own belief and I will not go into that here. I have spent many years studying many religions from many regions of the world.

The most remarkable thing is that in ALL those religions, they have some fundamental beliefs which are the same, they may call their god by a different name, but there are principles and teachings that are equal in each.

The laws of the US and many other countries were founded on those principles and teachings.

NO ONE here tried to stuff their religion down your throat, no but you went into a diatribe about it, and no one made insulting remarks about your belief or lack of it.

WHY are you being so hostile? If you choose to be an anarchist, an atheist, a pagan, a christian, a muslim, a buddhist or a patron of any other religious belief that is YOUR choice, and if you are comfortable with your choice then there is really no need to be hostile is there?

I might not agree with someone else's choice of religion, however I would still fight for the right for them to have that choice. Christianity IS the religion that the United States and many other free world countries were founded on, because of it YOU have the luxury of free speech. You may say what you like, but please consider that no one really knows who is right when it comes to religion, and no one will until it is too late to tell anyone, and if either of our countries had been founded on a different belief system the world would be a MUCH different place.
    Last edited by Temptaker; 03-06-2003 at 12:29 PM.

Forum Member

We all have our own beliefs or non-beliefs.

I choose to not say the word "god" when I pledge my allegiance to my country.

If YOU want to say the word "god" when YOU pledge YOUR allegiance to this country, it doesn't hurt me, so go ahead and do so.

Our LAWS protect both of our positions, which is one of the wonderful things about this country.

The woman with the rag over her face needs to take a new drivers licence picture, our LAWS state that it is for identification purposes. If someone does not like the LAWS in this country, they should go somewhere where the laws fit their beliefs.
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information