MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Talking So... What Did You Do During Your Visit To India???

I've never been to India... sailed passed it once or maybe a dozen times, but never "stopped in".

South Indian state tries again to ban nude worship at Hindu temple Canadian Press

Wednesday, March 05, 2003

BANGALORE, India (AP) - Every year, tens of thousands of women gather at a Hindu temple in southern India and worship in the nude, despite efforts to stop them.

For 17 years, authorities and social reformers have tried to prevent the devotees from disrobing as they bathe in the Bhadra River and roll around the temple of the Hindu goddess Renukamba. And on Wednesday, officials said they have once again banned nudity during the temple fair from March 9-11 in the village of Chandragutti in Karnataka state.

Many of the devotees are young women who are performing an initiation rite to enter prostitution, while others are fulfilling vows they have made to the goddess.

Tushar Girinath, the deputy commissioner for the Shimoga district, said devotees can perform all the rituals, but they must remain clothed.

He has also ordered all liquor shops within a five-kilometre radius of the temple closed during the fair to keep people from becoming unruly.

In 1986, worshippers became angry at attempts to stop them. They stripped the police, journalists and the social activists and forced them to parade naked.

Copyright 2003 The Canadian Press

I LMFAO when I read the bit about what happened in 1986.... you would think that the authorities would have figured this one out by now. Or maybe they enjoyed being stripped down and "paraded" through town????
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Police supervisor: That's one of our officers nude down there. What on earth...We don't issue nightsticks!

Assistant: That's not a nightstick, sir.

Supervisor: Stand tall, officer!
    I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Why don't cool things like this ever happen in the good ol' USA.

I'd pay a dollar to see that! Wow!
    IACOJ Military Division
    NM Office
    ------------------------------------
    "There are three kinds of men: The ones who learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest of them who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."

IACOJ BOD

The Indian Firefighters are a bit slow.

FF: "Chief, how about I take the truck and some lads down and spray a bit of water over the crowd to cool them down."

Chief: "Good idea son, we don't want any heat stroke victims do we."
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

MembersZone Subscriber
    911 N. Sycamore St. Yep, that's really our address.

Lightbulb Next years' vacation spot

Let's see.... hmmm. Okay, March 9-11 for the fair. Okay, calendar is cleared.

Now.... mmmm... Priceline dot com.... airfare. India. Round trip. Bangalore.

Bangalore. Bangalore? BANG-galore? Yep, that's what I hope to do when I get there....
    Omnis Cedo Domus

www.hinckleyfd.org

Thread Information