New York/New Mexico a 5,000 mile commuter

Default Safe-Sensible-Debateable Subjects!

As a Johnnie Firefighter........many-many-moons ago, the very first lesson taught me in the Firehouse was this: The specific subjects of Mothers-Religion-Politics are NOT discussed in the Firehouse! Why? Simply because no-one ends up right, and no-one ends up wrong...the only thing that happens is a friendship ends up (period).

While I have been emotionally guilty of engaging in some of the aforementioned......it would do me, and all of us well to remember this!
    "All gave some......Some gave all!"
    Lest we forget.........9/11/01
    "Former Senior Member"
    RESCUEDAWG----FDNYRR

Forum Member

Good point, RdRunner. After all, this place is supposed to be about the fire service!
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Disillusioned Subscriber

Dead on RdRunnr. All it does is **** people off.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

GOOD IDEA!!!!
    9/11/01 Never forget Never forgive

Dusty, working on Crusty IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I'm not sure about anyone else, but for me I love a good debate, and I never have ill feelings during or at the end. I guess that comes from be on the debate club in HighSchool. I find that a person can learn alot about said subject when debating it as long as they are open minded, and people don't reduce them selves to name calling and crap like that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I request an amendment!

RdRunnr:
    My hat is off to you. I will agree right here and now not to discuss Mothers and Religion. However, I would like to amend the Politics to exclude "fire service politics". I think that it is necessary to sort out, discuss and debate policies that are set by political motives and can be costly to the fire service.
    I learned along time ago that "politics" is in every part of our lives. At home, at work, at school; it doesn't matter. Politics is learned at a very early age the first time a child plays Mom against Dad.
    So, try as I might, I can't stay silent on Politics. It is a big part of my life.
    Oh and you need to get to a meeting. We miss you over there.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Disillusioned Subscriber

Airborne-

I've got no problem with honest debate either, if that's what it really is. The problem comes from people who want to whiz on your shoes and tell you it's raining. They come into a debate, and lacking any real substance and/or value, they start with the juvenile name calling and similar behavior, and think this is debate. This spirals into petty arguments. That's where people get ****ed.

As for debate, I too enjoy it. I just haven't really seen that much difference between our opinions. It would probably be pretty boring for both of us. Maybe someday.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

I concede to a point......"Firehouse Politics, are doable!" It is the Lawyer-Government-Press type people I was referring to (LOL) despicable types.

Airborne......I think everyone likes a debate to a point, hell I play Devil's Advocate here enough, to get the folks stirred up, but while it has never affected you......have you considered "Your Affect on Others?" By prior admission, your a rookie FF, so maybe a little caution may make your day.

That thread on what wound up being Religious in Nature....lost it's point. What was debateable was.....conformity or non-conformity. Noooooo (LOL) I won't go there again, enough has been said!
    "Former Senior Member"
    RESCUEDAWG----FDNYRR

MembersZone Subscriber

Yes it would be nice to have a debate where some one was not ****ing on your shoes as you said.

I just tend to ignore people like that and respond to the ones that are bringing a good argument to the table.

It is funny because my mother and me are complete opposites when it comes to politics and religion yet we are able to talk about these things all the time, and respect each other.

"BLOOD"...brother, will always be thicker then "WATER"
    "Former Senior Member"
    RESCUEDAWG----FDNYRR

Talking Man talk about violating all three

Man Airborne, you not only violated RdRunnrs rules, you did it in one sentence!

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

i didn't think there was any subject safet to debate.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: Man talk about violating all three

Originally posted by glowpop
    Man Airborne, you not only violated RdRunnrs rules, you did it in one sentence!
    If you think he only broke the "Mothers and Politics" part of Roadrunner's original post, check out the firey debate going on here... http://cms.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=46486

I can't get away from politics being brought up at the firehouse as I have 3/4 of the union exec. board on my shift.
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Fire Chaplain

I always thought these were called discussion threads, not debate threads.

Airborne, you stated "I just tend to ignore people like that and respond to the ones that are bringing a good argument to the table." Your posting history throughout these forums proves otherwise.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

Forum Member

Unhappy And it ends up hurting everyone...

Originally posted by Steamer

I've got no problem with honest debate either, if that's what it really is. The problem comes from people who want to whiz on your shoes and tell you it's raining. They come into a debate, and lacking any real substance and/or value, they start with the juvenile name calling and similar behavior, and think this is debate. This spirals into petty arguments. That's where people get ****ed.
    ...And this really hurts the whole learning process on these forums. Some of the topics that have been axed by the Webteam because they feel responsible for removing threads that go out of control are really topics of some importance. For example, I know from personal past experience that the issue of "brewed malt and distilled beverages" (I can't say the "A" word anymore, I suppose) in and around fire stations is a major operational and safety issue in some segments of the American fire service. The real damage that comes from the fact that some forum users can't handle a civilized discussion on this subject (and similarly emotional ones) is that future users who may be caused to rethink their views because of a responsible discussion here won't rethink...because that responsible discussion will now never happen. If I were in the Webteam's shoes, however, I probably wouldn't have labeled the topics of some of the closed threads as inappropriate, I would have singled people out and labeled their behavior as inappropriate (and probably gotten sued for slander, libel, or something). After all, this is the Webteam's "private property," and they have the right to deny admission to anyone they wish.

So...I can't really criticize the Webteam for shutting down an out-of-control thread. I wish, instead, that they'd shut down out-of-control users when they can identify them, and hope that the user community will (by "survival of the civilized", so to speak)evolve to the point where responsible discussion and debate can continue. Having said that, I also know that this is much easier said than done (as well as more costly), and I would't want to be in the position of moderating some of what goes on here in the Forums.

So please, let's all keep it professional, or (at least) relatively civil, shall we??

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by IACOJRev
    I always thought these were called discussion threads, not debate threads.

Airborne, you stated "I just tend to ignore people like that and respond to the ones that are bringing a good argument to the table." Your posting history throughout these forums proves otherwise.
    You will have to enlighten me then because I think that I have always been pretty civil here, and I don't think that I have responded to nay one that is not being civil.

Fire Chaplain

Please, please do not put words in my mouth... I never said you were not civil, nor was incivility implied in my statement. You claimed to ignore people who were deficating on other's footwear - I don't see that.

You love to debate and that is a valuable skill to have.
    So is knowing when to use it.

I know from reading other threads that you are still in the acd'y, and I want encourage you to be careful when you get out... I have seen many good, new FFs get a bad reputation around the station because they insisted on debating.
    Resident Chaplain of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

I see what you are saying. Well there is one quality about myself that I'm proud of, and that is the ability to know when to keep my mouth shut.

I guess I get that from being in the miltary, I have learned that the only think worse then not knowing, is not knowing that you don't know, and the only way to combat that is to shut yer mouth and open yer ears when you are the new guy.

MembersZone Subscriber

I fully support the gag order on religion, politics (that don't directly affect the fire service) etc.

I am curious to see how long it holds up.
    "We shouldn't be opening firehouses in Baghdad and closing them in New York City."

IACOJ

Ut-oh! Hope I'm not the one being given credit for a gag-order.......mine was but a suggestion that specific topics go no-where, especially amongst firefighters. Heck my biggest problem is keeping my own mouth shut!
    "Former Senior Member"
    RESCUEDAWG----FDNYRR

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Duffman
    I fully support the gag order on religion, politics (that don't directly affect the fire service) etc.

I am curious to see how long it holds up.
    Then how in the world am I supposed to discuss my mother, who is running for Senate (except on Sundays when she goes to Church)?

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

After a very long week, reading this thread has me laughing. That's why I love you guys. You can even debate on whether or not to debate.
    I do love a good intelligent debate.

Oh Geroge
    Then how in the world am I supposed to discuss my mother, who is running for Senate
    What party is she running for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Add to the "off-limits" topics?

Besides the above mentioned topics, can we add:

ISO Larry
    Career-Volunteer..
    Smoothbore vs Fog..
    and
    "How many lights is too much on my pickup?"

Doc
    DC2, ex-FDNY (E74)

MembersZone Subscriber

cheffie, she'll be right there at the party for the "High Holy Day" on 3/17 (oh wait, that's religious).

John, I will agree to politics, mothers, religion and even hockey (PA, ditch the logo, 5-1?). But I will never, ever stop "debating" the light issue. You cannot take away all of our fun. In fact, I may start one of those threads again, it's been awhile.

Forum Member

Talking

The premis of the whole thing was that people form thier ideas and persepctives on things when they are between 7 and 12 years old.
    So how's that explain me? I was a tree-hugger when I was 12.

Thread Information